Re-po Cruises...what you should know.

Danno

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnrhodes54:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nealberk:

While I appreciate the complement, I am not Newt (or Danno for that matter)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nealberk--I know you're not either one--I was simply trying to interject some baseless humor in an otherwise desiccated evening for me. Certainly no offense was intended--besides, you have to be much better looking than Newt and I bet you don't say "eh" after every sentence (right Danno? icon_razz.gif) I used to think Newt & Danno were the same person--but oh how wrong I was- icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apology, if it was an apology, accepted! Yes, I know that I am much better looking than Newt (I don't have to hide my attributes behind a board, and if I did it would have to be a much bigger one....) As for being Danno, hey, I don't even speak Canadian. icon_wink.gif

On the other hand, it was a Newt level response (oh no, it is catching!)

4_1_72.gif4_1_72.gif4_1_72.gif I think it is catching--I'm finding myself indoctrinated somewhat with Newt's perverse sense of humor--23_2_24.gif

And BTW--it was an apology if you were offended--if you weren't then it was sort of one-- icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by johnrhodes54 on 05-02-04 at 11:52 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blazerboy:

"...BUT, and this is important, you have to a.) love sea days more than ports! ...And, b.) you can't always sit back and wait for fun to be provided.".

..."That night, I called out "Hey, fun person, over here with us." She joined us, and called over another interesting couple she'd met earlier. The group repeated this all evening when we saw interesting people. We all danced the night away, and every night after that across the Atlantic.The crew commented on how special WE made the cruise for THEM. Needless to say, we received spectaular service, as we were there to enjoy, not to complain". ...This is why I cruise, and why "Re-Po's" are my favorite."

Blazer Boy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gifHi all,

BlazerBoy, I agree completely with your comments, and want to add: our group will be happy to join your group when we sail our next Transatlantic on Constellation in Sept. This will be our second Transatlantic "repo", and probably not the last.

I've seen your comments on the Roll Call there and we are really looking forward to this cruise! I think you will recognize us because we will be one of the "groups" having a great time!

Still can't wait for September!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

We are leaving on Friday on a Repo/transatlantic on the Galaxy. Can't wait. Sea days are wonderful. Sit on the balcony and read, drink coffee and watch the water. Love it!

Carnival Miracle 12/2004

Galaxy 2004, fantasy 2004, glory 2003, zaandam 2003, fantasy 2003, century 2002, voyager 2002, maasdam 2002, Ncl star 2003, norway 2002, inspritation 2002, fantasy 2002, sovereign 2001, statendam 2001, noordam 2001, Grand princess 2003, golden princess 2003, regal empress 2001,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joyvey:

We are leaving on Friday on a Repo/transatlantic on the Galaxy. Can't wait. Sea days are wonderful. Sit on the balcony and read, drink coffee and watch the water. Love it!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joyvey, have fun! (And this proves you are not Newt. He never has, nor will he ever, get on one of those fool ships... icon_wink.gif )

I love repo cruises!! My last one was 17 days San Francisco to San Juan (on another cruise line). We loved the chance to meet and spend time to get to know people who have the time for a longer cruise. Our most "infamous" couple were from England. He was a member of the House of Lords...she, of course, was "Lady". Didn't keep my husband from beating both of them in ping pong!! icon_wink.gif They were two of the most "down to earth" people we ever met!

Panama Canal on the Galaxy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;11;25;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Hi John, thanks for the complimenticon_smile.gif I have been following this thread.

I hope one day you do decide to try another cruise! Sometimes things go badly...you said you like land vacations..well, you know things can go wrong on land as well icon_wink.gif.

Maybe you would like an M Class ship better. Even if you decide on another cruiseline...don't let one bad experience cloud the waters too much icon_smile.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Originally posted by Lois R:

Hi John, thanks for the complimenticon_smile.gif I have been following this thread.

I hope one day you do decide to try another cruise! Sometimes things go badly...you said you like land vacations..well, you know things can go wrong on land as well icon_wink.gif.

Maybe you would like an M Class ship better. Even if you decide on another cruiseline...don't let one bad experience cloud the waters too much icon_smile.gif

Hi Lois--though I haven't read most of your 8300 + posts ( icon_eek.gif) I have read many since I registered back in February. I don't think I've ever seen you print one derogatory remark about anyone or anything--this indicates to me you have either an extemely heightened sense of "self-discipline" or you're just "just too damn happy"--37.gif Whichever the case may be you are a real asset to this board and a wealth of information. And I want to be around for your 10,000th post! I may have to cruise again so I have justification for staying on these boards without being just another "lurker" or sneaky "malcontent". icon_biggrin.gif Looking forward to reading many more of your posts--and I'm sure your September Horizon trip will be a blast. John

Hi Johnicon_smile.gif...some folks might say I am a wimp icon_wink.gif

I don't do "confrontations well". Figure it is much easier to be helpful than otherwise. Besides, we have lots of folks who are the "negative" against my "positive". I get very annoyed when I read certain things. But if I really posted what I thought....well everything would be deleted. So I try to get my point across with a positive spin. But that doesn't always work either.

Maybe I just know deep down, some people are truely unhappy..so they have to throw their $ and status at the rest of us.

Thank goodness the majority of us don't have to do that!

Ooops...sorry for the tangent!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Maybe I just know deep down, some people are truely unhappy..so they have to throw their $ and status at the rest of us.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lois, some of us are just trouble-makers! Being unhappy has nothing to do with it.

Hmm, wonder what adding a non-declawed cat and an over-excited dog would do to all the resting bathers on the topless deck? icon_biggrin.gif

I love your comments! I do a lot of traveling with my mother, she is a young-at-heart 74 with severe arthritis, and we have been discussing a repo cruise from Rome to Baltimore next year on Celebrity (we have tried other lines but Celebrity and HAL are our favorites). We do want to go to Rome and Lisbon and she cannot handle a land tour with the hotel changing every night and the on/off buses. Reading the wonderful comments has encouraged us to plan this as a definite for 2005. We love sea days! Thanks again! Happy Cruising to all!

AlinaMaria

11/04 HAL/Zuiderdam

02/04 HAL/Rotterdam

09/03 RCI/Majesty of the Seas

04/03 RCI/Navigator of the Seas

06/02 Princess/Grand Princess

05/98 Celebrity/Mercury

07/97 Celebrity/Century

06/96 Celebrity/Century

05/95 Celebrity/Zenith

06/82 Premier/Dolphin

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm a repositioning fan. What Danno says is valid, though much of it can apply in non-repositioning cruises, too.

I would emphasize that they probably aren't a good choice for first-time cruisers, people who want to spend the bulk of their day on land, or folks who get seasick easily. None of those apply to me, however :)

We've been on multiple repositions, from short coastals to a 15 Day Transat (Genoa-Ft.Lauderdale on Century, my all time fave cruise). The Galaxy reposition to Alaska in 1998 was fairly disastrous - they did the big crew swap, and it had a lot of problems, including a truly borked embarkation, but I still had a great time after all.

I would love to know how the repos are cheaper.

We are taking the Summit from Vancouver to FLL, September 17-October 15. For all intents and purposes they are both SOLD OUT. We certainly did not get any special deals or incentives. Seems that there are enough people willing to spend at least two weeks on a cruise.

We are looking forward to our month. (Just hoping that we do not REALLY have to relocate from our CC cabin to another CC down the hall as our tickets state.)

Danno

I have to disagree with everything you've said. Having taken both repo cruises as well as a regular cruises. I have not found anything that your TA said to be true except for the fact that they are usually less expensive. I would be interested in your comparison after you return from a repo cruise.

We were on the Horizon repo cruise last October. - 12 days - It was the best cruise ever. We did have very smooth seas and beautiful weather.

We also had a wonderful group of people on this cruise and had a lot of fun.

We were on the Horizon in May to Bermuda and I seem to agree that the Horizon does not have stabilizers. I was really grateful for bonine.

Marilou

We were on the Horizon repo cruise last October. - 12 days - It was the best cruise ever. We did have very smooth seas and beautiful weather.

We also had a wonderful group of people on this cruise and had a lot of fun.

We were on the Horizon in May to Bermuda and I seem to agree that the Horizon does not have stabilizers. I was really grateful for bonine.

Marilou

Horizon (as with virtually all reasonably modern ships) does have stabilizers, and perfectly good ones. The odds are that you had rougher weather & seas than you're used to, not inadequate stabilization.

We have re-positioned with Celebrity on Galaxy thru the Panama Canal, on the Mercury going up to Alaskan waters, again to Alaskan Waters on the Infinity, repositioning from Alaskan waters to Hawaii on the Infinity twice. We started with Celebrity via recommendation of our TA. We have been pleased with all of our trips. Maybe we have been "Lucky" with no complaints in accommodations, service, ship maintenance. Our TA is a "Cruise Princess" and said that a lot of the cruise lines had ceased with some of the nice touches, put that Celebrity ships had retained many that most people would not even notice. We will be going again in December and can hardly wait.

Archived