Re-po Cruises...what you should know.

Danno

Of late there has been several threads voicing some disappointment with a repositioning cruise. This time it is Horizon in the past it has been other ships.

I questioned my TA about one of these cruises several years ago...although the pricing was VERY good, she gave me some warnings.

a)These cruises DO NOT run as smooth as regular cruises. As in all business once a routine is set it gets smoother and smoother with each repetition, that is not the case with a re-po cruise. This can extend to purchasing food and supplies as well coming and going from port.

b)The crew is in transition...some are tired (God knows they deserve to be), some are preparing to move to other ships, some are getting ready to go home. The service can suffer.

c)The regular 7or10 day activities routine is in disarray.

d)Often maintance is done at a higher level during this time.

e)The seas can be rougher than usual...mind you this is the ocean and I don't think any cruise line can control that.

f)And as an opinion my TA claims because of the price that the pax base is different from that the normal X target market. Read into that what you want.

This does not excuse all problems which may have surfaced but I think it may highlight why a great many of experienced cruise patrons still use TA's when it would seem that we need them less than novices. I still rely on my TA for good advice and I try to go into each situation well informed and knowing what to expect.

As with ANYTHING when the pricing seems exceptional you have to ask,... WHY??

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

Everything you said is probably true, but who cares? Of course the routine is different or non-existent, and the crew is tired. The demographics are different because the cruises are so long that they attract more retired people than most itineraries. Look at the pluses: an emptier ship than normal, ports not normally visited, and an excuse for curling up with lots of good books. It sounds like heaven to me!

I don't get enough vacation time to enable me to take repositioning cruises now, or anything else longer than about 7 work days. (Celebrity, how about some shorter European cruises!) Long cruises are something to look forward to when I retire (hopefully in six or seven years).

I agree!!! I look forward to taking one of the cruises someday...but I will know what to expect, what I am gaining AND what I may find that are not up to the standards I may have come to expect on this line.

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Originally posted by Joanandjoe:

Everything you said is probably true, but who cares? Of course the routine is different or non-existent, and the crew is tired. The demographics are different because the cruises are so long that they attract more retired people than most itineraries. Look at the pluses: an emptier ship than normal, ports not normally visited, and an excuse for curling up with lots of good books. It sounds like heaven to me!

I care--this ship was sold out (1354 pax). Ports not normally visted-- icon_confused.gif It would have been nice to see a few ports. If I wanted to curl up with a good book I'd rent the library for a week and throw a cot in there. I don't think you'll find the library on most cruise lines packed to the gills waiting to check out a romance or action novel. Most people cruise for the ports and/or activities. I suppose there are those that just like to read and relax--no problem. But why spend the money for a cruise when you can got to a different city--spend a few $$ on a nice hotel and relax there?

And as much as I believe the crew sometimes is tired and worn out on a repo cruise I didn't pay to hear about how tired they are. Yes they work hard for 7-8 months in a row--but so do I. I should not have to suffer because they are at the end of their rope. I did not get this attitude from the crew on the Horizon--I'm just making a point to this poster. And Joanandjoe--when you can finally retire and do those longer repo cruises I'm sure the Horizon will still be around--make sure to ask for the aft section of the Florida deck--you'll love it down there- icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Danno:

Of late there has been several threads voicing some disappointment with a repositioning cruise. This time it is Horizon in the past it has been other ships.

I questioned my TA about one of these cruises several years ago...although the pricing was VERY good, she gave me some warnings.

a)These cruises DO NOT run as smooth as regular cruises. As in all business once a routine is set it gets smoother and smoother with each repetition, that is not the case with a re-po cruise. This can extend to purchasing food and supplies as well coming and going from port.

b)The crew is in transition...some are tired (God knows they deserve to be), some are preparing to move to other ships, some are getting ready to go home. The service can suffer.

c)The regular 7or10 day activities routine is in disarray.

d)Often maintance is done at a higher level during this time.

e)The seas can be rougher than usual...mind you this is the ocean and I don't think any cruise line can control that.

f)And as an opinion my TA claims because of the price that the pax base is different from that the normal X target market. Read into that what you want.

This does not excuse all problems which may have surfaced but I think it may highlight why a great many of experienced cruise patrons still use TA's when it would seem that we need them less than novices. I still rely on my TA for good advice and I try to go into each situation well informed and knowing what to expect.

As with ANYTHING when the pricing seems exceptional you have to ask,... WHY??

Dan

Danno--where the hell was this thread prior to 4/12/04? If I would have read something like this (or had a decent TA) I would have definitely reconsidered this particular cruise ship/line. Well, just normal I guess--"day late and a dollar short"-4_2_4.gif

How was the price?? What did your TA recommend?? Have you cruised X before?? Have you cruised before??

Did you read the tickets...it does state clearly that the itinerary can be changed at the cruise lines descretion. It's not nice when it happens but I doubt it was done with the sole intent of ticking off the passengers.

You and I may work 6-7 months but I will promise you we don't even come close to working the hours these folks put in.

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Thanks Danno for a very imformative post.

So how do I find out if my cruise is a 'repo' cruise?

We are taking a 6 night sailing on Mercury 5/29 - it is styled as 'California Coastal'an dseems to be sandwiched in between the Mexico itinerary and the Alaska itinerary - but not exactly. There are several Alaska trips and then this 'Caflifornia Coastal"..so on the surface it appears it MAY be a repo cruise...it did have a better price per night than some of the cruises immediately preceeding and following on this ship.

So are we on a 'repo' cruise or not icon_confused.gif

Cheers!

Happy Sailing!

Cyndi Wagner, AKA Transaction Chick

Carnival Celebration - 5/98

RCI Rhapsody - 5/00

Carnival Sprit - 10/01

Celebtrity Mercury - 5/04

Parley Vouz Francais? Si vous pouvez, email moi en Francais!

I was on the repo cruise of the Galaxy fron San Juan to Baltimore a moth ago. I am happy to say that we did not encounter any of the aforementioned problems. The cruise ran as smoothly as any other that I have been on.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

Okay, Danno -- you will just have to put up with silly questions from me icon_biggrin.gif Give an example of a repo cruise -- i.e., Sumitt moving to the West Coast for the summer is one, right? and that would be sometime in April. They are usually longer than 7, 10, 11 days?

johnrhodes -- which ship and what itinerary are you sailing that you are unhappy with (if I may ask?).

Lucy icon_cool.gif

What is a re-po cruise?? Being from the eastern side of North America I have always considered them to be the longer cruises from Europe to North America or back, or the Burmuda change over.

I don't know if the west coast change over has these concerns or not

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And as an opinion my TA claims because of the price that the pax base is different from that the normal X target market. Read into that what you want.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, but I'm about to take my tenth transatlantic (not a matter of status, just luck) and I, too, think that you get a different clientele on a Transatlantic "re-po" cruise. It's a mix of lots of "types," and a clientele that I prefer. People who love relaxing on a ship, who reminisce about the days of true transatlantic liners, people who use the cruise as an addition to a European vacation, people who are relocating from Europe to the States, AND all the wonderful tpes of people I've met on "regular" cruises mixed in. All ages- perhaps even a little more diversity than normal. BUT, and this is important, you have to a.) love sea days more than ports- everyone I cruise with regularly wishes you could avoid all ports, including the start and end ones! icon_wink.gif And, b.) you can't always sit back and wait for fun to be provided. To me, it's the passengers that make the cruise special, and it's important to draw out the potentially fun people.

O.k., and here's my long anecdote:

Last summer, I saw a 35-40 y.o. women making a fool(in a good way) of herself at a "sing-a-long Sound of Music" activity. But she was trying to make the best of a so-so activity. That night, I called out "Hey, fun person, over here with us." She joined us, and called over another interesting couple she'd met earlier. The group repeated this all evening when we saw interesting people. We all danced the night away, and every night after that across the Atlantic.The crew commented on how special WE made the cruise for THEM. Needless to say, we received spectaular service, as we were there to enjoy, not to complain, and made their jobs easier and more fun. The last morning, which is usually so dreary, we had 48 people having fun, using up the last of the travel agent gift bottles of champagne, and continuing the good mood of the crossing until we got into cabs, limos or airport transfers at the pier. This is why I cruise, and why "Re-Po's" are my favorite.

Blazer Boy

A Re-Po cruise is a "Re-Positioning" cruise - right (as in moving ship from one location to another, not as in "Re-Possesion" cruise, as in RC didn't make all their payments...) ---RePo cruises can be up or down the coast, not just transatlantic, and are not nec. 10-14 days long.

And Dan? your assumption about how much any of us might work is kinda offensive(<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You and I may work 6-7 months but I will promise you we don't even come close to working the hours these folks put in <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>). I'm starting my busy season at work and will work easily 60-70 or more hours a week for the next 4 1/2 months, in addition to teaching, volunteering, trying to have a life, etc. I'm usually up early and working into the wee hours of the night, I'm on my feet running around most the time, I don't always get lunch, dinner is at midnight at least once a week, and I don't get any tips.... Many times over the summer I would gladly trade my job for one as a cabin steward or waiter on a cruise ship... icon_biggrin.gif

Dan, very informative thread..thanks!

For those folks who asked what is a repo-cruise?

I always thought it was where you are just sailing ONE WAY..and that is why it is less $$.

Dan, basically isn't that true?

It isn't what side of the world you are sailing LOL..but that the ship is repositioning for a new itineray.

I saw the Galaxy re-po prices a while back..and even for a single cruiser...the prices were wonderful! (too bad I couldn't go at the time)!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Have taken several reposition cruises, both trans-Atlantic when they are moving the ship for the European season or at the end of the season, bringing the ship back to the US area, and trans-Pacifics, to or from Asia.

My wife and I love them - we like sea days, and often they stop at ports off the beaten track. (ie Vladivostock Siberia, Dutch Harbor in the Aleutians, Dakar Senegal, Casablanca Morocco, etc.)

Those mentioned happened to be on Princess, but the effect is the same. Sometimes the pricing is quite attractive.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LittleBit:

And Dan? your assumption about how much any of us might work is kinda offensive...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't mean to offend...I was just acknowledging how hard these folks work, sorry if that's offensive. icon_confused.gif I get off light at 50 hours per week for 50 weeks of the year. Just a slacker I guess icon_biggrin.gif.

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

by LMKohler:

johnrhodes -- which ship and what itinerary are you sailing that you are unhappy with (if I may ask?).

Lucy--Horizon 4/12-4/24 Tampa, Cozumel (cut to essentially 4-5 hours), Curacao, Aruba, St. Marteen (canceled), St. Thomas

Danno--The price was excellent ($646 total)--even the outside cabins at the time were going for about $800 (though shot up to $2000 a week before departure). TA recommended whatever I wanted--she figured I knew what I was doing--but I certainly don't blame her. Never cruised Celebrity before and this was my 5th cruise. I read the contract about changing itineraries. I don't have a problem with that. What I have a problem with is Celebrity customer service saying different things to different customers about "why" the itinerary was changed. St. Marteen was just a case of "over-booking" the port I was told. Cozumel I was told was due to "port issues"!! Now what the hell is a port issue? It's 9 ships in a port that was built for 2-3 at a time. I'm irritated that Celebrity can't get their stories straight about why ports were missed or shortned. Had I known this was going to happen I can guarantee you I never would have booked this cruise--as far as sea days go, some people like them and some don't--I belong to the latter group--my opinion/my choice. I like you Danno but I also must agree with LittleBit about taking a little offense about the assumption of our working habits--I also work 60-70 hours a week for 6-7 months a year. Though I don't "lift that barge-tote that bail" like some of the crew members must I work my butt off also. I saved up enough money & vacation time in 2 years to do this cruise. I know the crew is worked hard, however, slavery is long gone. They signed up for this and I'm sure knew what was expected of them. There are alot of days I wish I had their job instead of mine. I realize you're a "die-hard" Celebrity & Horizon fan and I commend you for it. But due to my experience I cannot be. I was one of the people that "jumped ship" in Aruba. We stayed 3 nice days there and flew onto St. Thomas for 3 more days. This was the salvation of the vacation--I was fortunate enough to have relatives aboard that could afford to do this (as I could not afford it) and take us along. And I don't care what anyone says--the Horizon does not have stabilizers. I've always enjoyed your posts and opinions--but I think you're the one in a post several months ago that stated just that--most everything you read on these boards are just that-opinions. And I'm giving mine--I had a "bad" experience (along with many others)--I'll live & learn from it. I want no money back-no "free" cruise. Celebrity will just never be my first nor recommended line.

Repo cruises are our favorites, too icon_biggrin.gif The sea days (and nights) spent on the ocean are very rejuvinating to body and spirit. I'll never forget the night I first saw the Southern Cross. It was a totally black night, no moon and no clouds, and the sky was filled with blazing diamonds all the way down to the ocean. I could see the hazyness of the Milky Way and I sat there for a couple of hours just totally caught up in the moment. We had an aft facing balcony and there were no lights to distract from the heavenly view.

We've never had a bad repo cruise. I guess it's partly what you are expecting and how well you can "go with the flow". It's more relaxed because you don't have to rush out every day to try to see everything in the ports, and then rush back to the ship to get showered and dressed for dinner and the evening activities.

It's important to research any vacation, land or sea, to know what you are buying and avoid dissapointment.

Now--get out there and look before you leap icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

vegas_dreamer, we have always found the food and presentation to be as good on repos as they are on regularly scheduled itineraries.

Char

click <a href="mailto:gaultchar@aol.com">here</a href> to send me an e-mail

[This message was edited by Char on 04-29-04 at 07:28 PM.]

Well by some of our definitions, a full Panama Canal transit (FLL to San Diego) would be considered a repo cruise. 14 days long and 5 ports. Which is fine with us as we love the sea days.

Also ships returning from their last sailing in Alaska would be repos.

The repo cruises are a great buy but the difference is made up in trying to purchase one way air travel. Regarding the type of cruiser who sails on repos, I have not noticed the passengers being any different than on any other cruise. They seem generally people who love to cruise often, have the time to sail on longer cruises and like a bargain. But overall no different than the typical Celebrity passenger.

Repo cruises are offered to travel industry employees at discount prices so if that's what the TA meant by different clientele then shame on her.

I am sorry to read that the Horizon cruise was so disappointing. We all agree that weather is unpredictable so the rough seas can't be helped and missed ports happen on all cruise lines. But to have the food to be less than expected is really disappointing as that is such a big part of the cruise.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from taking a repo cruise and I would sure study the ships before choosing one.

Karen & Paul kmbix56@wmconnect.com

8_3_23.gif

http://community.webshots.com/album/124134511FOjEih

Galaxy B2B 10/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;16;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury 03/04

Radiance 01/04

Summit 09/03, Infinity B2B Hawaii 03/03,Infinity 10/02,

Maasdam 07/02, Sun Princess 03/02,Maasdam 11/01,Statendam 07/01,Dolphin 1990?

Thanks for this thread, Danno. icon_smile.gif

My favourite:

Repositioning cruises--more days at Sea.

My experience:

One 5-day port intensive;

One 7-day port intensive;

One 7-day half-and-half;

Four 14-day Eastbound Atlantic Repositioning cruises w/ 8 Glorious Sea days.

Our next cruise:

14-day Mediterranean B2B 14-day Westbound Atlantic Repositioning cruise w/ 9 Glorious Sea days.

Some days, it's just good to be alive. Happy cruising all.

Terry

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;24;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Until our Millenium Month (10/24 & 11/07)<BR

Constellation-Transatlantic-Eastbound-26/04/03;

Norwegian Star-Hawaii & Fanning Island-11/24/02;

Bolero-Transatlantic W to E-04/99;

Triton-Greek Isles & Turkey-07/97;

Triton-Transatlantic W to E-03/94;

Atlas-Transatlantic W to E-04/87;

Lord Selkirk II-Lake Winnipeg-06/75 (Honeymoon)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by superjerryw:

I was on the repo cruise of the Galaxy fron San Juan to Baltimore a moth ago. I am happy to say that we did not encounter any of the aforementioned problems. The cruise ran as smoothly as any other that I have been on.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sailed on the Mercury from SF to Vancouver May 3, 2003. It was my favorite cruise ever and I noticed none of the problems that Danno mentioned.

Reggie icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;10;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Rhapsody 10-17-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;12;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Mercury 12-06-04

Monarch - Sometime soon

Viking Serenade 1998

Viking Serenade 1999

Voyager of the Seas 2000

Viking Serenade 2001

Majesty of the Seas 11-2002

Norwegian Sea 11-2002

Vision of the Seas 11-2002

Mercury 5-03-03

Monarch of the Seas 6-09-03

Mercury 10-12-03

Monarch 11-17-03

Monarch 1-19-04

Monarch 3-29-04

God bless the USA and all freedom loving people. May God protect all those who fight and die to protect those freedoms.

Archived