Stirrup cay renovation

Eric.Lince

Last year We sailed the Gem from New York in February and noticed a whole lot of renovations being done to the island. Does anyone know what is different now from last year, and are they done with all the construction? I searched NCL website and didnt find a whole lot of info.

Last year We sailed the Gem from New York in February and noticed a whole lot of renovations being done to the island. Does anyone know what is different now from last year, and are they done with all the construction? I searched NCL website and didnt find a whole lot of info.

They are still working on it. There is a new buffet, bathrooms, massive inflatable slide, new landing spot for the tenders and the area is pretty much clear cut right now. They are building a lazy river, cabanas and other cool stuff. I was there last weekend :)

They are still working on it. There is a new buffet, bathrooms, massive inflatable slide, new landing spot for the tenders and the area is pretty much clear cut right now. They are building a lazy river, cabanas and other cool stuff. I was there last weekend :)

When you were there, could you tell if they were close to finishing the lazy river or cabanas? I'll be there in April, and was hoping they would be finished.

Right now, completion is supposed to be done by the middle or end of May. Here are the changes that were announced before the project began.

NCL's Great Stirrup Cay

private-island-great-stirrup.jpgBest New Addition: NCL is keeping mum on the details of its 22-month, $20 million renovation of Great Stirrup Cay. But, we already know what the best new addition will be -- a kid's play area. Currently, NCL's private beach area has no dedicated facilities for kids, and a new play place will be greatly appreciated by tykes and parents alike.

Added Island Improvements: Other new additions include more bars and eating areas, a bandstand, a straw market, beach-volleyball courts, an aqua park and WaveRunners. Kayak tours on manmade rivers, an eco-cruise and an interactive stingray experience will round out excursion offerings. Plus, a new entrance channel will be created for ship tenders, as well as a new welcome pavilion, and the beachfront will be expanded.

Cabana Bonanza: Ten private beachfront cabanas will be added, but NCL has not released details on amenities or pricing.

Old Favorites: The north-shore beach area continues to feature live music, lounge chairs and water sports rentals, while beaches on the east and west sides of the island remain quieter and more secluded. Favorite activities include volleyball, table tennis, kayaking, boogie-boarding, parasailing and snorkeling. Passengers can escape to the massage hut for on-island spa services or head to the straw market for souvenir shopping sprees. A barbecue lunch is served at an island buffet.

Renovation Status: The renovation will take place in two phases, the first of which is already underway. The entire project is scheduled to be finished by the end of 2011.

Right now, completion is supposed to be done by the middle or end of May. Here are the changes that were announced before the project began.

NCL's Great Stirrup Cay

private-island-great-stirrup.jpgBest New Addition: NCL is keeping mum on the details of its 22-month, $20 million renovation of Great Stirrup Cay. But, we already know what the best new addition will be -- a kid's play area. Currently, NCL's private beach area has no dedicated facilities for kids, and a new play place will be greatly appreciated by tykes and parents alike.

Added Island Improvements: Other new additions include more bars and eating areas, a bandstand, a straw market, beach-volleyball courts, an aqua park and WaveRunners. Kayak tours on manmade rivers, an eco-cruise and an interactive stingray experience will round out excursion offerings. Plus, a new entrance channel will be created for ship tenders, as well as a new welcome pavilion, and the beachfront will be expanded.

Cabana Bonanza: Ten private beachfront cabanas will be added, but NCL has not released details on amenities or pricing.

Old Favorites: The north-shore beach area continues to feature live music, lounge chairs and water sports rentals, while beaches on the east and west sides of the island remain quieter and more secluded. Favorite activities include volleyball, table tennis, kayaking, boogie-boarding, parasailing and snorkeling. Passengers can escape to the massage hut for on-island spa services or head to the straw market for souvenir shopping sprees. A barbecue lunch is served at an island buffet.

Renovation Status: The renovation will take place in two phases, the first of which is already underway. The entire project is scheduled to be finished by the end of 2011.

i hope they finish the island before my cruise in mid of may :D

When you were there, could you tell if they were close to finishing the lazy river or cabanas? I'll be there in April, and was hoping they would be finished.

Honestly, I think it's all going a lot slower than anticipated. I'm back there in March (heavy cruise year!), so can let you know on my return.

I was there this week. I don't know if they'll be done in 8 weeks, it looks like they've cut out an entire path for the lazy river. We were there on Tuesday, it was a sunny, warm, great day and there was no construction going on at all. Maybe they don't work when they have guests, I don't know.

That being said, the place is like an island paradise. Even if you miss out on the lazy river, if you like laying on a clean beach and swimming in clean water you should have a great time.

I was there this week. I don't know if they'll be done in 8 weeks, it looks like they've cut out an entire path for the lazy river. We were there on Tuesday, it was a sunny, warm, great day and there was no construction going on at all. Maybe they don't work when they have guests, I don't know.

That being said, the place is like an island paradise. Even if you miss out on the lazy river, if you like laying on a clean beach and swimming in clean water you should have a great time.

I was there last Saturday and no work was going on, I assumed it was because it was a weekend. How many days do they have without a ship in? Probably not too many, which may be part of the delay.

I was there last Saturday and no work was going on, I assumed it was because it was a weekend. How many days do they have without a ship in? Probably not too many, which may be part of the delay.

Hello Suite Cruiser,

It was nice chatting with you and your friends on the tender on the way over to GSC.

I am amazed with the improvements to the the island, but the jury is out for me as far as if it is totally a good thing. I enjoyed the rustic nature of what the island was like pre-construction. We always enjoyed grabbing a table with an umbrella under palm trees. That is non-existant now. I hope they add back all the vegetation they removed. My eyes were hurting me at times looking at everything sand color. I also enjoyed all the hamocks there used to be.

Ellen

Hello Suite Cruiser,

It was nice chatting with you and your friends on the tender on the way over to GSC.

I am amazed with the improvements to the the island, but the jury is out for me as far as if it is totally a good thing. I enjoyed the rustic nature of what the island was like pre-construction. We always enjoyed grabbing a table with an umbrella under palm trees. That is non-existant now. I hope they add back all the vegetation they removed. My eyes were hurting me at times looking at everything sand color. I also enjoyed all the hamocks there used to be.

Ellen

Hi Ellen!

Good chatting with you too! I think they'll add in vegetation once they're done, and it seems it takes no time for it to fill in. I hope so, as it does look rather barren right now.

Hope the rest of your cruise was great, ours was!

Sally

Archived