Cheap things to do on Grand Cayman??

mkleblanc

Grand Cayman will be the last of four ports we are visiting. We are looking to do something on the cheap. We have never been but from what I've read, GC is on the expensive side to begin with so I'm assuming this will be a difficult feat. In the other ports we are doing 2 beach day type excursions and one private tour on Roatan where we will likely end up on a beach at some point.

Any suggestions for us??

One of my all time favorite excursions is on Grand Cayman, Stingray City. It's just amazing to take a catamaran ride to a white sandy area in the middle of crystal clear turquoise waters and have stingrays swimming all around you. The first time we went it made such an impression that we took our kids 15 years later. I would consider it "cheap" by excursion standards, somewhere around $37 pp if I remember correctly. We went with Capt Bryan's, who were wonderful, and I've seen several other operators mentioned here that people have had great experiences with.

Do you snorkel? If so, go right at dock for two/three blocks. Restaurant with small shack attached with snorkel gear for rent. Or take your own. Must rent life vest though. Steps into water right there-don't let the "baby" tarpon worry you-they don't bite. They are only a couple feet long. Reef short swim from shore. Large tube anchered also for kids and younger people to jump off, play on. We are older so didn't do that-just snorkeled. Lots of fish and coral, etc. Have a drink/snack at the open air restaurant when done-they keep this area for tourists so support them. When finished just walk back to dock area and all the shops are right there. You can do a little shopping if you want. If you want to "beach" it just go left from dock and 7 Mile Beach with restaurants and bars is not too far but may want to take a cab. I LOVE GC because you don't have to spend a lot of money on an excursion. Everything is so close to dock it is easy to do things on your own. Check out this link:http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

Hope this helps.

Jane

Do you snorkel? If so, go right at dock for two/three blocks. Restaurant with small shack attached with snorkel gear for rent. Or take your own. Must rent life vest though. Steps into water right there-don't let the "baby" tarpon worry you-they don't bite. They are only a couple feet long. Reef short swim from shore. Large tube anchered also for kids and younger people to jump off, play on. We are older so didn't do that-just snorkeled. Lots of fish and coral, etc. Have a drink/snack at the open air restaurant when done-they keep this area for tourists so support them. When finished just walk back to dock area and all the shops are right there. You can do a little shopping if you want. If you want to "beach" it just go left from dock and 7 Mile Beach with restaurants and bars is not too far but may want to take a cab. I LOVE GC because you don't have to spend a lot of money on an excursion. Everything is so close to dock it is easy to do things on your own. Check out this link:http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

Hope this helps.

Jane

I absolutely agree with this. The snorkeling in that little area is great and it's so close to where the tenders come in that you can just walk there.

If you want to have another beach day, Seven Mile Beach is beautiful--and public and free. There are beach clubs like Royal Palms, etc. where you can rent chairs and umbrellas, but you can simply hop on a public bus (they are Toyota minivans) for $2 and ask them to drop you off at Royal Palms just so you can say a place, then walk on to the beach and drop yourself there. The beach is absolutely beautiful and free. There is a grocery store by the Ritz, and while beer and alcohol is expensive, you can get some snacks for a fairly reasonable price. There are also tons of places to eat/drink at the resorts along the beach, plus a fun place called Lone Star that's across the road from the Lacoiva condos. You can then take a bus back to the ship.

Enjoy!

Shopping is expensive...GC is one of the most expensive islands....Offshore banking and all that....but the beach is a cheap way to have a great day. Lunch can be a bit pricey, but you can rent chairs and umbrella for under $40 or so.....

There is also a bus that will take you to the beach...$2.50 pp....right off the dock area...easy!

I think these have been mentioned already but,

1) Snorkeling at Eden Rock with own Equipment - Free

2) Hanging out on 7 mile beach - Free

3) Ride bus around town $5 round trip

4) Stingray City and Snorkeling Trip with Rowan Watersports $30.

I think these have been mentioned already but,

1) Snorkeling at Eden Rock with own Equipment - Free

2) Hanging out on 7 mile beach - Free

3) Ride bus around town $5 round trip

4) Stingray City and Snorkeling Trip with Rowan Watersports $30.

We were on the Rhapsody on 4/23/2006. Were you on this one? If so, it's a long shot , but have been searching for friends we met ,from Houston area, Chuck & Gaye. Will attempt to attach their photo , she is in the middle, and he on the right. If you would happen to know them , please let me know. thanks Buddy & Glynda Taylor Tx PS We did a sunset cat cruise at the same time in KEY WEST

SANY1776.JPG.ad3b06b9cf32204078f83d7321ce15ea.JPG

We were on the Rhapsody on 4/23/2006. Were you on this one? If so, it's a long shot , but have been searching for friends we met ,from Houston area, Chuck & Gaye. Will attempt to attach their photo , she is in the middle, and he on the right. If you would happen to know them , please let me know. thanks Buddy & Glynda Taylor Tx PS We did a sunset cat cruise at the same time in KEY WEST

No, we went in March. Hope you find your friends!

How about a tour of Pedro St. James for 10 bucks and then in the area tour the Caybrew Brewery?

The Turtle Farm is not cheap, like 40 bucks, but one can spend all day on the slide in the pool, going on the Nature Trail, bird aviary, snorkling with turtles etc..

If you go to the very first locked post on the Caymen first page you will find tons of info about the island and what to do there. Before we went the first time I found a picture by picture to do on going to Eden Rock for snorkeling and then to Cali shipwreck for snorkleing. Both are within walking distance of the pier and both are free. Here is some info on the Cali shipwreck since you already have the scoop on Eden Rock:

Cali shipwreck @ Hammerheads restaurant, is about as far to the left as you exit the pier as Eden Rock is to the right - about a five minute walk. The two are a good 10 minute walk from each other. …there is public access just past Hammerheads …a couple of blocks to your left from the tenders. it's never crowded … ate lunch at Hammerheads (recommended for fresh catch seafood lunch) Snorkling at Hammerheads backyard - you can enter the water via their ladder, …. the beach behind Divers Down was the easier entry. Some glass around, so watch your step. I asked a waitress at Hammerheads if she would put my stuff behind the bar and she was ok with that, I tipped extra for the service. The pieces did resemble a ship. Wreck is about 30 yards offshore. We did swim out there from shore - right behind Rackums Pub. There is no platform for resting. It's a little bit of a swim out there but once you get out there you can just float on the surface and look around.

Archived