Overseas booking through US agents.

LemuelGulliver

Have just booked through US travel company and have noticed on their website that they are unable to book for non American residents. Has anyone been refused boarding because of this policy?

Very definitely yes, and the Travel Company can get into serious hot water for allowing non American clients to book through them.

Many have tried to get around this rule, and sometimes they find a loophole that works for a time, but as soon as the non-American Agents (consolidators, really), who benefit from the ban, notice a dip in their trade, it will all blow up in your face.

Very definitely yes, and the Travel Company can get into serious hot water for allowing non American clients to book through them.

Many have tried to get around this rule, and sometimes they find a loophole that works for a time, but as soon as the non-American Agents (consolidators, really), who benefit from the ban, notice a dip in their trade, it will all blow up in your face.

Perhaps we should start a friendly service here on CC of hosting our overseas friends in our US homes, providing them a US address.

To reciprocate, our overseas friends could provide us addresses to book our cruises to Cuba.

This is not always true..it depends on the country the client lives in some are no problem at all..Australia, is one of the countries not allowed to be booked in the US.

Jancruz1

For what it's worth, we have not had a problem. My daughter (with whom I cruise) lives in Geneva and I live in Vancouver. A Canadian travel agent handles the bookings and there has not been a problem. Perhaps it is because we do it through my address?

For what it's worth, we have not had a problem. My daughter (with whom I cruise) lives in Geneva and I live in Vancouver. A Canadian travel agent handles the bookings and there has not been a problem. Perhaps it is because we do it through my address?

I was trying to make my original answer brief, but Jan is correct that not every country is effected by the U.S. Agent Ban.

What seems to be at issue is both Nationality (where your passport was issued) and residence (where you live). Family relationships and marriages can also help to blur those lines, but the surprising fact is that it is still assumed, even in this day and age, that Travel Agents will be selling mostly to their own community (or at least Country).

Eventually, these "rules" will be overwhelmed by the surge of technology, but until then, Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain (to name the Big Three) continue with the old system.

Have just booked through US travel company and have noticed on their website that they are unable to book for non American residents. Has anyone been refused boarding because of this policy?

I did this once (I'm in NZ). The US online agent should not have accepted the booking and when O discovered this I was forced to move the booking to a NZ agent. However, I insisted on the same price, OBC and other conditions (principally no canx fee prior to final payment date) which was agreed. As it happened I did have to cancel the booking, but at least I didn't suffer a canx fee.

So, I would expect to be hearing shortly from the US agent or O requiring you to move the booking.

I'm not a believer in protecting local markets in this way as we live in a global economy, but now accept that's the way it is.

Just a guess but you would qualify as North American Resident ;)

Australians, Brits & NZ are not so lucky

No problems here in the UK.....

"O" have had their own in house sales operation in the UK for just over 5 years & they now have their own reservations team. If anything we're at an advantage over here with the Med in summer....over the last couple of years there have been some great late deals as I guess "O" didn't want the challenge of sourcing last minute air for those from further afield, whereas over here we have frequent flights on both legacy & low-co airlines to the likes of Athens, Istanbul, Barcelona etc etc.....

No problems here in the UK.....

"O" have had their own in house sales operation in the UK for just over 5 years & they now have their own reservations team..

Have you tried booking through a N.A. agent?

I think that was the question

Australia also have a GSM but the pricing is not as good as the US agents & I do not think they get any deals like free air or OBC

Have you tried booking through a N.A. agent?

I think that was the question

Australia also have a GSM but the pricing is not as good as the US agents & I do not think they get any deals like free air or OBC

I have.....& was told I had to book through a UK agent.

We do get OBC, although "O" are only just starting to offer flight packages. Their staff in the UK are "O" employees & the operation here is in house unlike in Oz where they use a consolidator/general sales agent.

we have booked with O and otherlines in UK US and even once in Austrailia never had a problem, you will also find quiet big differences in price and not always the same way ie often US is cheapest but UK has been on a few occasions , guess its exchange movement after prices fixxed. But always wise to get quotes from US & UK. You can get a guide to the difference from the different O sites, they have at least 3 that I know of 1 in US$ 1 in UK£ and 1 in Euro.

JimGib

I have.....& was told I had to book through a UK agent.

I think that was the point... most non North American residents cannot book through US agents

We do get OBC' date=' although "O" are only just starting to offer flight packages. Their staff in the UK are "O" employees & the operation here is in house unlike in Oz where they use a consolidator/general sales agent.[/quote']

That is interesting information

I am not an attorney, nor am I by any means an expert on anti-competition laws or even protectionism, but it seems to me that it is unfair (and protectionist) to restrict trade between travel agents in one country with customers in another country who choose to do business with them.

Hi LemuelGulliver, we are also from Australia & have booked an Oceania cruise through a US agent. I have been assured by them that there will be no problems. I hope they are right! My friend has booked 3 cruises with this agent & had no problems though none were an Oceania cruise they were other cruise lines.

Hi LemuelGulliver, we are also from Australia & have booked an Oceania cruise through a US agent. I have been assured by them that there will be no problems. I hope they are right! My friend has booked 3 cruises with this agent & had no problems but none were an Oceania cruise.

Clients in search of a better deal, and the ambitious travel agents who are always willing to enable them, have been trying to get around this for years.

If they only put half as much effort into changing the system honorably instead of endlessly sneaking around, this might have been resolved already.

As the system stands, although you may be able to exploit this or that loophole for a while, eventually the truth about your nationality will come to light and when it does, Oceania will be legally required to disallow your booking.

If you are still safely at home, that cancellation might just cost you a few extra dollars, but if you are already en-route to the ship, it can be a disaster.

For me at least, the amount of money that you are saving could not possibly justify the extraordinary risk that you are taking.

By the way, the penalties to U.S. Travel Agents are so severe for flouting these rules, that after you are discovered, you will be completely on your own.

For me at least, the amount of money that you are saving could not possibly justify the extraordinary risk that you are taking.

The first cruise we ever took on Oceania, we (and many others) were astounded and angry at the differences between our costs and those of the Americans on board - for exactly the same thing.

The amount of difference non-Americans pay can be considerable. For instance we booked our second cruise on board Oceania and on arrival home discovered we had been charged $1600/per person! above the cost quoted on board. We ended up in a huge battle with the local wholesaler and Oceania over the unfairness of this, and eventually won -but why should this even been allowed to occur? :mad:

As far as we are concerned we live in a global world and Oceania (along with all other cruise-lines) that allow their cruises to be advertised in this part of the world, have an obligation to ensure we are all treated the same.

One CEO on board once told us they have so many problems caused by non-American's discovering how much more they paid, and getting upset and angry about it. Surprise surprise!

Interestingly - now that times are tight the cruise lines have started offering us deals as well - but for how long?? :confused:

Cheers

JimandStan

Thats the point us folks downunder are saying we pay WILD DISPARITIES for our plane fares to get to destinations where these cruises depart from then we pay ex amount of dollars MORE than our US friends for the cruise itself.:confused:

We do live in a global economy and if travel agents in the US do advertise the cruises worldwide.....why can't us folk downunder book with them?

.why can't us folk downunder book with them?

I have read that it has to do with the travel industry/government Downunder trying to protect it's travel industry

True or not I do not know:confused:

Perhaps petitioning your travel industry is the way to go

LemuelGulliver & coolchangeoz

I have booke 4 cruisers with 2 different US travel agents and have had no problems they have been extremely helpful and the cruises wonderful.

Most of them have a toll-free number if phoning from Australia & NZ.

The only thing is they can't do flight & cruise packages like the great deals you can purchase if you live in the US. One has to shop around and hopefully get a decent fare deal.

If you are first timers hope you enjoy your cruise - I am certain you'll get the cruise bug! Enjoy:)

Is this issue specific to Oceania or does it exist for all cruise lines?

Not all cruise lines but quite few

We have a similar problem here in Canada where you can only book some cruise line through a wholesaler (maybe has changed by now)

Archived