Goodbye to Panama and Costa Rica

vawalkers

I am a friend of Doodlefan and sailed this trip as well. DH and I did not do the Canal as we were on one of the first 2003 Legend sailings to Panama and did it then. However we heard this news from a shopkeeper on the pier in Panama. She said they were expecting only 2 more cruises in there. Too bad as it really is one of those bucket list tours.

One of the things I enjoyed most about Costa Rica and Panama was the lack of cruise line built shopping. I was standing in the terminal in Costa Rica and a passenger walked up to me and said "Do you know where the Tanzanite International is?" I told him that I didn't think he was going to find one at this port. I liked walking back through the local vendor area instead of the jewelry stores and "high end" shops.

What a shame! At the rate they are going, eventually your only options will be the same boring Western and Eastern Caribbean ports.

As another poster pointed out, Celebrity regularly offers 11 night cruises with stops in Panama, Costa Rica and Cartagena. Its a fabulous itinerary!

• 2 weeks later...
So glad to hear everybody enjoyed Costa Rica so much. My son is moving there and will be living there for 2 years. Cant wait until I get to go visit him there!

that lucky dog!

Costa Rica is my absolute fave place! Spent 11 days there this past june. at first had the cruise there booked, but cancelled it in lieu of a land vacation for more time in the country. It's incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was, hands down, the best vacation i've ever been on. sooo beautiful!

Archived