Goodbye to Panama and Costa Rica

vawalkers

We just returned from a Freedom cruise to Cozumel, Costa Rica, and Panama. Everything about the cruise was fantastic. We had been to Cozumel before but not Costa Rica or Panama. We found both those ports to be beautiful and very enjoyable. The people were very friendly. Seeing a part of the Panama Canal was worth the trip. We were saddened to hear from one of the employees of the tour company we used in Costa Rica that Carnival was considering discontinuing stops there. The Carnival rep at the Future Cruise Desk onboard confirmed that the last stops in those ports would be made in February of this year. The popularity of the Southern Caribbean itinerary is the reason given. I can understand this, I want to make that trip as well. I will be sorry to see the option of Costa Rica and Panama go away. I am very thankful that we chose that itinerary for this trip. I will always be glad I was able to see Costa Rica and Panama on a Carnival trip.

There was an old review being kicked around claiming that panama was "full of men with shotguns and children with wild animals on strings":)

Too bad if that's true about the itins. I suspect fuel cost would be a major contributor to the cause of endinging the far south itin. I also love panama and spent a few months in Costa Rica and absolutly love it. Hope this isn't true.

Glad you enjoyed this cruise. I'm sorry they're discontinuing this itinerary. We went on this cruise in 2007 aboard Carnival Liberty and it was probably the most unusual cruise we've taken. I had hoped to try it again, maybe next summer for our 30th wedding anniversary. Maybe I'll have to look at a Panama Canal transit instead.:cool:

I did the same itinerary in July 2010 and loved it. We went ziplining in Costa Rica and had it was a lot of fun. In Panama, we did a tour with My Friend Mario. We went to the jungle to see the monkeys and sloths. Then we went to the Panama Canal. It was really interesting to see the Canal. I think it is sad they want to discontinue this itinerary.

There was an old review being kicked around claiming that panama was "full of men with shotguns and children with wild animals on strings":)

Too bad if that's true about the itins. I suspect fuel cost would be a major contributor to the cause of endinging the far south itin. I also love panama and spent a few months in Costa Rica and absolutly love it. Hope this isn't true.

Well, there was a close encounter with two kids and their sloths.

We just returned from a Freedom cruise to Cozumel, Costa Rica, and Panama. Everything about the cruise was fantastic. We had been to Cozumel before but not Costa Rica or Panama. We found both those ports to be beautiful and very enjoyable. The people were very friendly. Seeing a part of the Panama Canal was worth the trip. We were saddened to hear from one of the employees of the tour company we used in Costa Rica that Carnival was considering discontinuing stops there. The Carnival rep at the Future Cruise Desk onboard confirmed that the last stops in those ports would be made in February of this year. The popularity of the Southern Caribbean itinerary is the reason given. I can understand this, I want to make that trip as well. I will be sorry to see the option of Costa Rica and Panama go away. I am very thankful that we chose that itinerary for this trip. I will always be glad I was able to see Costa Rica and Panama on a Carnival trip.

We did this itinery on the Freedom last Jan, I am sorry to see they are taking this away, it was a great cruise,we had a blast and meet tons of new friends , this cruise made me is I fall in love with Costa Rica. I hope to get back there one day!

We're doing this itinerary beginning Feb. 11th. We must be one of the last to do it.

According to the booking website for Carnival, you are the last cruise visiting those ports. What excursions do you have planned?

I did the 8-night Miracle in December 2009 (had an aft balcony). Our excursion in Panama was THE BEST EVER. Seriously. I felt all day like I was in a Nat Geo special, visiting the natives, riding in the dugout canoe along the Chagres River. I wrote a long review and tried to be very thorough with the port excursions.

It was truly amazing. Convinced me that I really want to do a Panama Canal cruise. I wanted to do one of the two canal repo cruises this past Nov/Dec but couldn't get anyone to go with me and just couldn't afford it as a solo.

Dropping these ports is yet another reason (besides the solo supplement thing) that will drive me away from Carnival before long. Other lines will continue to call there, I hope!

We did this cruise on the Freedom in 2010 and loved it...certainly not a "caribbean cruise" but we loved the ports and the opportunity to see the Panama Canal, Costa Rica was another stop where we enjoyed the sights and the culture. Sad to see it go from carnival's itinerary, but also glad we had the opportunity to experience it.

We did this itenerary with Celebrity on an 11 day, twice because we loved it so much, one of them went to Cartagena Colombia instead of Cost Rica.

We will probably do another Celebrity if Carnival is doing away with it, but we'd much rather do a 7 or 8 day that Carnival had offered.

There are so many repeat routes it's sad to see a really different itenerary go away :-( makes me so sad.

Maybe Carnival will get enough letters protesting the doing away with it and bring it back in a year or so.

The jungle of Costa Rica is just awesome!!! I'm sad!!

Carole

say it aint so joe!!!!!!!

i'm so bummed! i originally had booked this cruise for my birthday last year and opted for a land vacation to CR instead. glad i did, as i spent 11 days enjoying that beautiful country...but i still wanted to do the cruise and the canal.

now, i'll not be able to. i wish i knew this prior to booking the cruise i leave on next week. :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

i'm so sad now i could cry.

bummer

We booked this itenerary last cruise - due to a hurricane in the gulf only made it to Cozumel before diverting to Jamaica and Grand Turk.

Here is hoping that the reinstate that itenerary some time in the future...I really want to visit those ports.

Archived