Phone service

SeaLaRae

This is our first time cruising. Which phone service provider is best for the Caribbean? Europe?
Who is your current provider? We use AT&T wireless. I just now called and added international roaming to my phone. $2.49/min from the ship, $1.69/min from the Caribbean islands we're going to. 20 cents to receive a text (since I don't have a text plan) and 50 cents to send one. Service costs $5.99/month, but they prorate it and I'll cancel it when we get home.

Look at the coverage provided by each provider. There can be a lot of differences. See what countries you'll be visiting, and see which provider covers the most countries. But, it's not cheap to call internationally and you'll need an international calling plan. Most calls will run you about $2.49 a minute, regardless of plan. Do not use your phone for emails or internet. You could come home to bills in the four figures. Texting is $.50 to send and $.05 to receive.

Archived