Navigator - Bermuda?

cruiser02

• 2 weeks later...

We did this last June and are sailing on the Navigator also in August. have you ever cruised on a 30,000 ton ship before? This ship spoiled me and I compare it to everything else. I have sailed (or will sail this year) on just about every ship that goes to Bermuda from NYC (or went) except the NCL Crown and the Queen of Bermuda.

Do you have any special types of excursions in mind?

Have you ever cruised on Radisson before? You will love the Navigator. I can't think of one bad post that I have read. Chat Chat in CA (Cathy) and I were on the same sailing last year and she flew all the way from California. I was knew to Radisson and told me that we would love it. I belive that she was previously a Celebrity cruiser and got tired of the nicking and dimming that goes on (We sailed on the Zenith to Bermuda last August and liked the ship and cuisine of Michel Roux, you also get the spend four days in Bermuda which we loved, but found Cathy to be right about the nickeling and diming - Celebrity makes an art of it).

Everything is included and if are serious about wine, you are going to be thrilled. We don’t usually drink that much – just wine with dinner, but they provide booze at every opportunity – even in the your suite is a bar set up. What I really like was the cheese trolley after dinner which comes with a glass of port. (This time Cathy, I will know hands down every wine region in France, Italy and Germany for the Quiz). After afternoon tea is over, the Cruise Director had Team Trivia which gets very competitive and the most abstruse questions are asked.

There is nothing not to like about this ship, even the Laundry Room is spectacular.

For the excursions you can do as little as you want, or go to one of the many beaches, or step off the ship and shop, take the fast ferry to King’s Wharf where you can swim with the Dolphins, shop more or visit the maritime museum, glass blowing and rum cake factory. It is a good idea to take the taxi tour – you’ll get to see a lot. There used to be a perfumery tour but that has since closed down.

Tours that I do not recommend:

The alleged Glass Bottom Boat

Verdmont (we went for the Gibbs Lighthouse part but were not given any time to see it, just a half hour to have tea in a adjacent building)

And in Norfolk: The Williamsburg tour that includes lunch.

If you like Catamaran rides unfortunately the best one is in St Georges – Rising Sun - but is Monday thru Friday and we are there on Sunday – this one goes to a deserted island.

At Hamilton there is the Aristocat and Restless Native. Restless native is small and they really pack you in like sardines.

If you like to visit gardens, the Botanical Garden is a good stop for the taxi.

When are you cruising in August?

We are cruising to Bermuda in August - toth to be exact joining the ship in Norfolk (no flying for us).

I have been to Bermuda before (land cruise) and loved it.

You will absolutely love Radisson.

Anthony

Hi Jeanne! Hope you are doing well.

We were on the Restless Native for the Catamaran Sunset excursion in Hamilton. I have been on numerous Catamaran sails in my travels and this one was fantastic. I'd do it again in a heart beat. The first Catamaran on another boat was sold out so they added this one and it was sold out too.

We were served really nice hot appetizers and wine or Rum Swizzles Aside from the taxi tour, it was one of my favorite things to do in Bermuda. I was able to go up top and take the most incredible sunset photos ever. I am a very advanced amatuer photographer and it was a perfect venue to take my photos!

I am not a big shopper, but, I did enjoy the shopping streets/district and a few of the restaurants. We also took the ferry right off the ship and just stayed on it for a while when it went on it's route. We enjoyed the view and the cost was next to nothing.

Hi Cathy! Am doing well and hope this finds you and your husband the same! My parents, sister, niece, nephew and two little ones went on the NCL Dawn two weeks ago (the cruise immediately after the rouge wave) and had a great time.

My friends that I went on QM2 last November (5 Catamaran rides) still liked their Restless Native excursion. I know that Cunard only books a certain amount of passengers on the Cats and was wondering if it was the same for my friends and you - who both went on a Radisson Tour. I was on a Celebrity tour and we got the very last "spaces" out near the nets. The inside cabin was filled to capacity. The only time one could really walk around was when everyone was in the water. My sister and I did appreciate how the guide actually went in the water with us - and they did have the best snorkeling equipment as well as great home baked cookies and the Rum swizzle was great (only it was a 9:30am excursion). Perhaps If I went on the Radisson Tour (and so the Sunset one) for Restless Native it will be different.

So you went on the local Ferry? We have only taken the express (20 min) to King’s Wharf. We should also try the local.

The Restless Native was full on our excursion and I'd say we had no more than 20 aboard.

For the Ferry, we got on right next to the ship's dock and stayed on until it returned for about 4 stops. If we had more time, we'd have taken one of the other ferries that takes longer. We went late in the day and only had a little more than an hour or so. We saw lots of boats coming and going, and sailing classes for children, lots of birds and the beautiful homes with the white roofs.

We had at least 20 people out in front by the nets! And the galley area was standing room only - and its seats 16. Every inch in the nets and the surrounding areas had someone sitting/lying. So if you got up to go to the kitchen, you had to step very gingerly lest someone not get stomped on.

. When we went on Radisson, Lorraine and I did not go on a Cat as she had fractured her wrist a few months prior and it was still gimpy (she had one of this external fixation devices drilled into her wrist which was only taken out 6 weeks before the cruise). So my only experience was with Celebrity in Bermuda as far as cruise ship excursions. On the Cunard excursions in Sint Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Thomas and Martinique, there were max 20 people, usually 15 and most of these were much larger cats. The best part was that most of passengers stayed in the galley so we had the net area practically to ourselves.

I am going to book the Radisson Tour this year and see what it is like.

Thanks for all the suggestions and information on the ship This is our first RSSC experience Jeanne's words on wine have my interest .... I LOVE wine & port.

We are booked on the August 31st sailing from NYC

:confused: Thinking about the Bermuda cruise in August. Did anyone have a problem with rough water on that cruise? Since it's a small ship was it a problem? Thank's so much for any help. :) Lois and Harvey

We took this cruise last May and really enjoyed it. We tried to take the Bike Excursion on the old railway trail but they didn't get enough people for us to go. If you like biking, it's a great way to see Bermuda. We hope to return to Bermuda on the Navigator next May. Hope their schedule comes out soon.

Marylyn, my mother and I took the Bermuda cruise in early September. You definitely knew you were on water. I did not find it bothersome at all--in fact the motion helped me to sleep like a log at night. But my mother was bothered by it. She's not too steady on her feet, and the motion caused her problems walking. But she seemed to be the exception.

Archived