Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

http://www.portofmelbourne.com/cruiseshipping/cruiseschedule.aspx

Okay my fellow cruise experts, I have just seen the psychologist and he thinks I should try to get ON a cruise ship again sooner rather than later. So the above is a link to cruise ships in the Port of Melbourne ( where I live) could people please look at the ones staying late in the evening or weekends starting from the last weekend in Feb and tell me which are owned by Carnival who own Costa and are similar in size etc to the Concordia so I can ask Carnival nicely if I can go visit.

Thanks

All of the Princess ships are owned by Carnival. The Diamond Princess is about the same size as the Concordia.

This has been my experience, as well.

I guess that I just have not sailed (cruised) as many times as some of you here, but the pictures of the captain at the helm, well, maybe they do it differently in Italy, and I have only been on the bridge for maybe 100 or so "departures" or "approaches to docking", and have.......and I repeat, NEVER.......seen a captain at a helmsman's wheel!

The captain (or pilot) gives the orders, and the quartermaster, repeats the command (I won't go in to the entire drill....those that know will confirm this) and then manually maneuvers the helm (steering wheel, for the land lubbers) to the exact course dictated.

If anyone has spent time on the Queen's old royal yacht, now docked in Edinburgh, Scottland, would know that the captain.....or the Admiral had no controls on the bridge, and the wheelhouse was a deck below, facing sideways!

Modern age.........that is no longer the way that large yachts, and cruise ships are handled today.

The master has the controls to maneuver the ship away from the dock, with controls mounted on both bridge wings........but once he/she steps away from those controls, it becomes a command, reverberated command, voiced at least three times as the command takes place.

I won't go into the different instruments that the captain has at his disposal, all to make intelligent decisions, and pass them on to the quartermaster, when dealing with the vessel at close quarters. But he is not at the quartermasters station......as the picture protrays, and be able to study all of the instruments at hand to make correct decisions.

I'm sure that there will be those among us that will dissagree with this statement.

As a pilot, I made all decisions and acted according to my instruments, as they were directly in front of me. The quartermaster does not have that ability, on any ship that I have been invited to visit the bridge.

Rick

I guess that I just have not sailed (cruised) as many times as some of you here, but the pictures of the captain at the helm, well, maybe they do it differently in Italy, and I have only been on the bridge for maybe 100 or so "departures" or "approaches to docking", and have.......and I repeat, NEVER.......seen a captain at a helmsman's wheel!

The captain (or pilot) gives the orders, and the quartermaster, repeats the command (I won't go in to the entire drill....those that know will confirm this) and then manually maneuvers the helm (steering wheel, for the land lubbers) to the exact course dictated.

If anyone has spent time on the Queen's old royal yacht, now docked at the Port of Leith, Scotland, would know that the captain.....or the Admiral had no controls on the bridge, and the wheelhouse was a deck below, facing sideways!

Modern age.........that is no longer the way that large yachts, and cruise ships are handled today.

The master has the controls to maneuver the ship away from the dock, with controls mounted on both bridge wings........but once he/she steps away from those controls, it becomes a command, reverberated command, voiced at least three times as the command takes place.

I won't go into the different instruments that the captain has at his disposal, all to make intelligent decisions, and pass them on to the quartermaster, when dealing with the vessel at close quarters. But he is not at the quartermasters station......as the picture protrays, and be able to study all of the instruments at hand to make correct decisions.

I'm sure that there will be those among us that will dissagree with this statement.

As a pilot, I made all decisions and acted according to my instruments, as they were directly in front of me. The quartermaster does not have that ability, on any ship that I have been invited to visit the bridge.

Rick

The Admiral onboard the Royal Yacht had no navigational input, he was, like the Queen, a figure head.

Like one of the ships I served on, the admirals bridge was on the same level as the Radio office which was situated one deck below the navigational bridge.

rgds

:):)

Okay my fellow cruise experts, I have just seen the psychologist and he thinks I should try to get ON a cruise ship again sooner rather than later. So the above is a link to cruise ships in the Port of Melbourne ( where I live) could people please look at the ones staying late in the evening or weekends starting from the last weekend in Feb and tell me which are owned by Carnival who own Costa and are similar in size etc to the Concordia so I can ask Carnival nicely if I can go visit.

Thanks

Casually mention to them that you were a passenger onboard the Costa Concordia and that you are still suffering from the trumatic stress from the incident that you are looking to help in a 'recovery' cruise for you and your family. They might give you a 'freebie' ......I know its a long shot but try it lol...

rgds

:):)

Correct! That is what I said in post #426 on this thread. This is an interesting discussion,and I like reading it, but cringe at some of the terminology and lack of understanding of how ships are operated.

I think that people are trying to come to terms with the accident in their own ways and many of them do not have a mariners background. Perhaps it would be helpful, for those in the US who really want some reassurance and more knowledge of what goes on, to attend some Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxilliary courses. I have always found that anxieties can be reduced by understanding the realities.

I was on one cruise where the ship turned around and headed back to port due to a medical emergency and people I shared a table with didn't believe me when I told them we had changed course, even though the coastline had moved from the port to the starboard side of the ship. They were amazed when the captain announced the situation a few minutes later.

Regards,

MorganMars

HAL is also owned by Carnival. However, the biggest HAL ship is less than 90,000 tons.

I just checked the Dawn, which is the other ship in port for the time frame asked about. Neither one is as large as Concordia.

Michelle, hopefully Princess will comply with your request.

I do think you were given good advice.

Thanks

Do you have a travel agent? They can sometimes arrange a port visit. I have been able to tour a ship while it is in port thru my travel agent.

HAL is also owned by Carnival. However, the biggest HAL ship is less than 90,000 tons.

I don't think it matters what ship Michelle gets on.......small or large.

She did not experiece a row boat sinking....but given a HAL ship....it will work.

And, I'm sorry........but who gives a d'm who owns the ships, Michelle just needs to get back aboard, as her doctor has mentioned.

Good greef, lucy.........give the lady a chance!!:)

Rick

Okay my fellow cruise experts, I have just seen the psychologist and he thinks I should try to get ON a cruise ship again sooner rather than later. So the above is a link to cruise ships in the Port of Melbourne ( where I live) could people please look at the ones staying late in the evening or weekends starting from the last weekend in Feb and tell me which are owned by Carnival who own Costaand are similar in size etc to the Concordia so I can ask Carnival nicely if I can go visit.

Thanks

She did not experiece a row boat sinking....but given a HAL ship....it will work.

And, I'm sorry........but who gives a d'm who owns the ships, Michelle just needs to get back aboard, as her doctor has mentioned.

Rick

Rick, good grief, chill out please. The info provided was what was requested.

Rick, good grief, chill out please. The info provided was what was requested.

Micki.......to start with......my statement was only to help Michelle. She has contributed so many thoughts and emotions here........and I, for one, am greatly appreciative of what she has had to say.

Why do you think that I have given her any information that would not help her?

And that is truly the only thing that I want to do.........is to help.

Rick

Thanks

Michelle, I cant answer that as I have not been on a Costa ship. But I am proud of you for going to go back and try. The person you are seeing is correct. The faster you do this, the easier it will be for you to deal with it. I will be praying for you. Please keep everyone informed how you are doing.

Many many posts and posters have Domnica Cemortan as the reason for the distraction on the bridge that caused the tragic event. Her relationship with Schettino has been the substance of many posts and many posters have leveled a degree of blame at her. Maybe, just maybe Schettino wasn’t trying to impress Domnica Cemortan at all. From the various sources indicated below, it is possible to draw some inference that Schettino was trying to impress his male friend, head waiter, Antonello Tievoli. If we are to harshly judge Domnica Cemortan, why isn’t the same harsh judgement leveled at Tievoli?

I guess it’s easy to find “fault” with the relationship with Schettino and Cemortan because it fits our stereotypical scandal.

Cemortan has denied any impropriety, but that suspicion still pervades many posts.

Tievoli’s relationship with Schettino has not been put under suspicion on this thread. Cemortan dines with Schettino equates to scandal. Tievoli serves a meal for Schettino each evening equates to him just serving a meal.

Cemortan, a Costa employee, registers, is assigned a cabin and stays on board equates to a scandal. Tievoli stay on board for another week no mention other than he stay on board. Roberto Bosio the “second captain” gets a ride to the next port no mention other than getting a ride to the next port.

Many assume that because Cemortan was on the bridge therefore Schettino was showing off to her, yet from the sources below it can be seen that Schettino was showing off to Tievoli.

(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/i-wouldnt-like-titanic-role-captain/story-e6frf7lf-1226245930161)

Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reported that the captain, Francesco Schettino, allegedly performed a 'sail-by' close to Giglio's rocky shores to please his head waiter, Antonello Tievoli, 46, who comes from the island. ……..

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8404117/cruise-captain-sailed-close-for-head-waiter

According to Corriere della Sera, shortly before the accident the captain called head waiter Antonello Tievoli to the bridge saying, "Antonello, come see, we are very close to your Giglio," said witnesses quoted by the newspaper.

Schettino was trying to give him some pleasure by steering the huge cruise ship close to the rocky coasts of the Tuscan island, the report said.

http://www.newser.com/story/137633/captain-of-costa-concordia-passed-close-to-shore-for-headwaiter.html

Cruise Captain Changed Route 'for Headwaiter'

SCHETTINO INVITED WAITER TO THE BRIDGE TO WATCH

Many will point to the reports of lingerie found in the captains cabin. Its easy to assume it belongs to Cemortan. Maybe, just maybe Schettino has purchased said item/s for his wife. Maybe his wife has shared his cabin on previous cruises and has left them behind. Maybe Schettino is a cross dresser. Maybe, just maybe the laundry was delivered to the incorrect cabin We can easily discount that because it doesn’t fit our stereotypical scandal.

I’m not trying to be an apologist for Schettino, Cemortan or any others in this tragic event, but I fear that it’s just too easy to apportion blame on Cemortan based on a preconceived mind set.

I will now have to be prepared to feel the heat from the flame/s.

Thanks

Hi fellow Aussie,

try these to get in touch with Carnival Australia

Phone +61 2 8424 8800

Email information@carnivalaustralia.com

Carnival plc trading as Carnival Australia.

If you have no luck with the Australian office

Try this US number located in Miami USA

To get the best chance of getting someone there to help, you would need to call during their normal office hours ie 9am -5pm there, means calling from Melbourne between 1am and 9am (meb time) Dial this number from your landline.

0011 8007647419 costs $0.45 connection plus $0.21 / minute

love reading your posts. Good on you for sharing . Take care.

Rick

Micki.......to start with......my statement was only to help Michelle. She has contributed so many thoughts and emotions here........and I, for one, am greatly appreciative of what she has had to say.

Why do you think that I have given her any information that would not help her?

And that is truly the only thing that I want to do.........is to help.

Rick

I did not say that your direct posts to Michelle were not helpful. Many of us have expressed how grateful we are to have Michelle come here and share what she is able to about her experience. I also believe Michelle knows we are all pulling for her and her family in the months ahead.

I was pointing out your response to cuizer2. It was uncalled for. That poster responded to what Michelle asked for, the same as I did. There was no need for you to make such comments as the ones highlighted in red.

:eek: OMG are you saying that it's possible Tievolo was Schettino's hoochie coochie? Then WTH was Domnica doing on the bridge? A menage a trois perhaps? It's also possible that the 3 of them uh 4 with Bosio were playing tiddlywinks or maybe it was a tiddlywinks tournament with the other junior officers. :eek:

I think it was poster Mary who provided a link to information that Schettino had sent an email to another Captain bragging about how he could get closer to Giglio than his colleague. IMHO this is the most plausible explanation.

Many many posts and posters have Domnica Cemortan as the reason for the distraction on the bridge that caused the tragic event. Her relationship with Schettino has been the substance of many posts and many posters have leveled a degree of blame at her. Maybe, just maybe Schettino wasn’t trying to impress Domnica Cemortan at all. From the various sources indicated below, it is possible to draw some inference that Schettino was trying to impress his male friend, head waiter, Antonello Tievoli. If we are to harshly judge Domnica Cemortan, why isn’t the same harsh judgement leveled at Tievoli?

I guess it’s easy to find “fault” with the relationship with Schettino and Cemortan because it fits our stereotypical scandal.

Cemortan has denied any impropriety, but that suspicion still pervades many posts.

Tievoli’s relationship with Schettino has not been put under suspicion on this thread. Cemortan dines with Schettino equates to scandal. Tievoli serves a meal for Schettino each evening equates to him just serving a meal.

Cemortan, a Costa employee, registers, is assigned a cabin and stays on board equates to a scandal. Tievoli stay on board for another week no mention other than he stay on board. Roberto Bosio the “second captain” gets a ride to the next port no mention other than getting a ride to the next port.

Many assume that because Cemortan was on the bridge therefore Schettino was showing off to her, yet from the sources below it can be seen that Schettino was showing off to Tievoli.

(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/i-wouldnt-like-titanic-role-captain/story-e6frf7lf-1226245930161)

Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reported that the captain, Francesco Schettino, allegedly performed a 'sail-by' close to Giglio's rocky shores to please his head waiter, Antonello Tievoli, 46, who comes from the island. ……..

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8404117/cruise-captain-sailed-close-for-head-waiter

According to Corriere della Sera, shortly before the accident the captain called head waiter Antonello Tievoli to the bridge saying, "Antonello, come see, we are very close to your Giglio," said witnesses quoted by the newspaper.

Schettino was trying to give him some pleasure by steering the huge cruise ship close to the rocky coasts of the Tuscan island, the report said.

http://www.newser.com/story/137633/captain-of-costa-concordia-passed-close-to-shore-for-headwaiter.html

Cruise Captain Changed Route 'for Headwaiter'

SCHETTINO INVITED WAITER TO THE BRIDGE TO WATCH

Many will point to the reports of lingerie found in the captains cabin. Its easy to assume it belongs to Cemortan. Maybe, just maybe Schettino has purchased said item/s for his wife. Maybe his wife has shared his cabin on previous cruises and has left them behind. Maybe Schettino is a cross dresser. Maybe, just maybe the laundry was delivered to the incorrect cabin We can easily discount that because it doesn’t fit our stereotypical scandal.

I’m not trying to be an apologist for Schettino, Cemortan or any others in this tragic event, but I fear that it’s just too easy to apportion blame on Cemortan based on a preconceived mind set.

I will now have to be prepared to feel the heat from the flame/s.

Thanks

Michele, the Pacific Pearl and Pacific Sun are part of P&O which is also owned by Carnival. The Pacific Pearl is in port on Saturday 3-MAR so that may work for you.

Good wishes coming your way

hi fellow aussie,

try these to get in touch with carnival australia

phone +61 2 8424 8800

email information@carnivalaustralia.com

carnival plc trading as carnival australia.

If you have no luck with the australian office

try this us number located in miami usa

to get the best chance of getting someone there to help, you would need to call during their normal office hours ie 9am -5pm there, means calling from melbourne between 1am and 9am (meb time) dial this number from your landline.

0011 8007647419 costs $0.45 connection plus $0.21 / minute

love reading your posts. Good on you for sharing . Take care.

number to ring shoud be

011 1 8007647419

:eek: OMG are you saying that it's possible Tievolo was Schettino's hoochie coochie? Then WTH was Domnica doing on the bridge? A menage a trois perhaps? It's also possible that the 3 of them uh 4 with Bosio were playing tiddlywinks or maybe it was a tiddlywinks tournament with the other junior officers. :eek:

I think it was poster Mary who provided a link to information that Schettino had sent an email to another Captain bragging about how he could get closer to Giglio than his colleague. IMHO this is the most plausible explanation.

I too believe this( the email between the captains) to be the LIKELY cause. The point that I'm trying to make is not to jump to conclusions about Domnica. I feel that she has been unfairly judged.

I shall now retire to put on my double-layer flame retardant suit.:confused:

Schettino has stated that he was at the controls when the accident occured....other information has him at a different location on the ship. But whether or not he was on the bridge....there HAD to be several officers situated there and I haven't heard any statements or read any testimony from them about how the accident occured. Has anyone read any statements from any officers on the bridge at the time of the collision? If not....doesn't that seem strange?

Schettino has stated that he was at the controls when the accident occured....other information has him at a different location on the ship. But whether or not he was on the bridge....there HAD to be several officers situated there and I haven't heard any statements or read any testimony from them about how the accident occured. Has anyone read any statements from any officers on the bridge at the time of the collision? If not....doesn't that seem strange?

You will need to use a translator, but here is one possibility: http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubblica/archivio/repubblica/2012/02/05/nella-sala-comando-della-concordia-computer-scollegati.html

MorganMars

I shall now retire to put on my double-layer flame retardant suit.:confused:
I have finally come to the decision that you put up 'flaming' postings just so you can don you 'flame retardant suit outfit' lol....

Never did like them or the chemical suits for that matter !!!

rgds

:)

Thanks

QUEEN MARY 2. And I'll be onboard too. Monday 5th March though. All owned by the same corporation.

I would say that it may be useful to remember that Jesus was tried in the court of public opinion.

Actually he was tried by 3 courts. First, the Sanedrin Jewish Trbunal, for heresey. Second, by the Roman Court for Treason and Sedition. Third, possiby by the public, but they asked that Barabas be granted the Roman tradition of Passover clemency, not for the conviction of Jesus.

Archived