Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

I apologize if my english isn't good enough(I'm italian).

I understood you perfectly and I think your English is very good!

on the web I readed so many bad thing about us, I really had to spit it out...(don't know if it's the right word).

I think it's terrible that some people make you feel that way! There are citizens of all nations who do or have done things that the world finds wrong. It isn't the nationality that's the problem, it's the individual.

Transiting a channel between Giglio and the mainland of Italy would be one example.

Transitioning the channel between the Island of Giglio and the mainland of Italy is handled routinely by junior bridge staff, if following the route set forth by the company.

It's when the Captain (as I believe, in this case) decides to create his own route, and as the ship nears rocks and shoals, at a fiarly high rate of speed, and the bold captain, at the wheel, starts a hard to starboard, rather than continuing straight, well, that was a delicate maneuver, misjudged as well, and the rest is history.

Rick

Got it, thanks!

I don't know if this has been discussed here already but this pumping/flanging operation is not nearly as easy/simple as it sounds. With the cold temperatures it makes it even harder. IFO-380 needs to be preheated before it can be moved!

What a mess this has/will become! :(

Cheers,

Norman

Hello Itmom - thanks for your post.

The majority of us here understand that Schettino does not represent Italy. He is only one person who happened to have made a grave mistake - he won't be the first or last and he could have been from any nationality. Every country has had its share of Schettinos.

This incident, in my view, will not take away from the positive traits of the Italian people. The friendly, hospitable, generous, intelligent, good humoured and family oriented people that I've had the pleasure of meeting throughout my travels in Italy will always be fondly remembered and cherished. There are many positive aspects of your culture that I wish we could implement here in the United States.

If there is a silver lining to be found in this unfortunate incident, it would be the tighter regulations of the cruise industry as a whole as a result and the implementation of more stringent safety standards, making the high seas safer for all cruisers in the future.

P.S. Your English is much better than my Italian.

I apologize if what I'm going to say would have been already said (I couldn't read all of the thread),and I apologize if my english isn't good enough(I'm italian).

I've sailed on Costa ships for 3 times and in my last cruise (august 2011)we've been given a "drill card"and we had to show it at the muster drill,so the crew knew if all of the passengers took part in it.It looks like Costa gave great importance to the muster drill (i.e. members of the crew were seeing if we properly wore our lifejackets),what seems to be a problem are the too many ports of imbarcation,because only passengers boarding in Savona had their muster drill before sailing,the others having it in 24 hours after boarding.This is something that shouldn't happen IMHO.

After all of this I hope I won't read anymore anyone saying that listening to instructions in 5 languages during the muster drill is boring...not everybody understands english,even if it's maybe hard to believe for americans or english people...in the case of emergency is quite hard to stay calm and follow the instructions,what would happen if you can't understand a word?

I hope I made myself clear enough,sorry if I'm not...:o

...oh one last thing:we italians aren't all like Schettino ,just like you americans aren't all like Homer Simpson (although he didn't kill anyone:rolleyes:)on the web I readed so many bad thing about us, I really had to spit it out...(don't know if it's the right word).bye

I apologize if what I'm going to say would have been already said (I couldn't read all of the thread),and I apologize if my english isn't good enough(I'm italian).

I've sailed on Costa ships for 3 times and in my last cruise (august 2011)we've been given a "drill card"and we had to show it at the muster drill,so the crew knew if all of the passengers took part in it.It looks like Costa gave great importance to the muster drill (i.e. members of the crew were seeing if we properly wore our lifejackets),what seems to be a problem are the too many ports of imbarcation,because only passengers boarding in Savona had their muster drill before sailing,the others having it in 24 hours after boarding.This is something that shouldn't happen IMHO.

After all of this I hope I won't read anymore anyone saying that listening to instructions in 5 languages during the muster drill is boring...not everybody understands english,even if it's maybe hard to believe for americans or english people...in the case of emergency is quite hard to stay calm and follow the instructions,what would happen if you can't understand a word?

...oh one last thing:we italians aren't all like Schettino ,just like you americans aren't all like Homer Simpson (although he didn't kill anyone:rolleyes:)on the web I readed so many bad thing about us, I really had to spit it out...(don't know if it's the right word).bye

You "Spit it Out" quite well and we know that not everyone is the same:)

Joanie

Yes, the consensus is that it's not going to be an easy operation. Here's an article in that regard:

http://news.discovery.com/earth/costa-concordia-wreck-environment-italy-120209.html

Got it, thanks!

I don't know if this has been discussed here already but this pumping/flanging operation is not nearly as easy/simple as it sounds. With the cold temperatures it makes it even harder. IFO-380 needs to be preheated before it can be moved!

What a mess this has/will become! :(

Cheers,

Norman

Transitioning the channel between the Island of Giglio and the mainland of Italy is handled routinely by junior bridge staff, if following the route set forth by the company.

It's when the Captain (as I believe, in this case) decides to create his own route, and as the ship nears rocks and shoals, at a fiarly high rate of speed, and the bold captain, at the wheel, starts a hard to starboard, rather than continuing straight, well, that was a delicate maneuver, misjudged as well, and the rest is history.

Rick

That's exactly the sequence of events I had in mind when I used the phrase "delicate navigational maneuver" and precisely the situation I was referring to when I said "transiting the channel..." That is, after all, the topic of our conversation here. :D

"The trouble with common sense is that it's not very common"

Ozcruiser1 .... that was seen on Concordia by the many videos taken by people wandering around the ship instead of being at their muster stations!

To be fair to those people who have shared video of the events shortly after the impact, they had not been called to muster and they had been reassured that the giant bashing noise they heard was nothing, nothing at all. I don't think *I* would have the presence of mind to be tooling around the ship collecting video-tape of the immediate aftermath of something like that, but I do appreciate being able to see what happened and, perhaps, learn from it.

http://www.navicomdynamics.com/media/sitemedia/screen%20dumps/GroundingCostaConcordia.wmv

Take a look at the actual track of the Costa Concordia and her rock encounter. The comments are from Paul Ives, a friend, who is a retired ship pilot. Paul has lots of experience handling big ocean going ships. Remember, start your turn early and go easy with the helm.

Click on the link above to watch a fascinating and accurate picture of the actual track of Costa Concordia as it approached Point di Castellari about 20:35. You can see that they were steering directly toward Giglio Island at 15.5 knots. As they neared the point, the ship began to execute a nearly 60 degree turn to the north. Although the Rate of Turn (ROT) data did not seem to be working, it is interesting to watch the turn develop, at the last minute, apparently with hard over helm that caused a significant "advance" toward the rocks on the Point. (Advance is the track a ship continues to maintain sideways when a hard turn is executed. ((A skid)) It is exacerbated by full rudder and a high rate of speed). After striking the rocks, the ship continued to lose speed until it seemed to be almost dead in the water just north of its final resting place. It appears that there was some power available to make an almost 180 degree turn and slowly thrust the vessel sideways toward the beach, possibly aided by wind or current. . Note the differences between the compass heading (HDG) and the Course Over Ground (COG).

Norman W, while I appreciate you telling me about the snow, when I posted my question it was for a particular time, when it was happening at the time I posted and not when you looked at it this morning. In other words, you had to have been here right then to see it as I and 2 other posters did.

Molto bene parlato. Noi americani assomigliano abbastanza Homer Simpson che abbiamo eletto due volte George Bush.

Just trying to make itmom feel better.

Scooby ... is that track taken from the original AIS Data recording ? also note on the chart that there is no mention of rocks on the chart where the Concordia ended up ! nor where it shows the ship hitting one!

I noticed that too, the chart just shows depths. You would think it would show rocks, but only sand. A little shallow for a deep draft vessel1 AIS

Data Recorder Must be the same as a black box on a airplane?

Norman W, while I appreciate you telling me about the snow, when I posted my question it was for a particular time, when it was happening at the time I posted and not when you looked at it this morning. In other words, you had to have been here right then to see it as I and 2 other posters did.

Most likely water droplets on the objective lens. The camera cannot focus on distant objects when this happens making things look, well shall we say rather bizarre. Additionally this camera refreshes very quickly and it would be rather easy to capture images every few seconds, put them into a movie format and make a nice time lapse of the event. ;)

Cheers,

Norman

Geez folks, I was just trying to make itmom feel better and I would have done it in a PM (private message) if this forum had that function. I have worked with just about every nationality, and after they discover I'm not a "my country, right or wrong" kind of person, they always ask "Was he the best that was available?"

Geez folks, I was just trying to make itmom feel better and I would have done it in a PM (private message) if this forum had that function. I have worked with just about every nationality, and after they discover I'm not a "my country, right or wrong" kind of person, they always ask "Was he the best that was available?"

It is best not to bring up politics (or religion). You will surely offend someone.

Also I think you do not understand this forum. It is about cruises and the cruise industry. This thread is about the Concordia sinking. Also the forum is not owned by us. A private company owns it and they tend to moderate the forum fairly strictly compared to some others you might be used too. If the thread goes too off topic the moderators will likely lock it. I suggest posting on topic so they don't close it.

It is best not to bring up politics (or religion). You will surely offend someone.

Also I think you do not understand this forum. It is about cruises and the cruise industry. This thread is about the Concordia sinking. Also the forum is not owned by us. A private company owns it and they tend to moderate the forum fairly strictly compared to some others you might be used too. If the thread goes too off topic the moderators will likely lock it. I suggest posting on topic so they don't close it.

I have but 2 words on your comment to deckofficer, "Oh Brother!!"

Actually I have to add more than 2 words as I do not think they are understandable by many who's knowledge of English might be more limited than some of us....

Charles, what some of us doi by taking the subject slightly off topic for a post or 2 is called adding a bit of levity to the situation.

It also helps us to put non American or should I say non English speaking people at ease to know that we are not going to attack them for whatever inaccuracies their lack of our language might happen.

Take a deep breath and relax those shoulders a bit, PLEASE??

The Moderators of this thread/Board are not going to close us down if we go off topic for a moment. Heck they have even joined us a couple of times.

What WILL make them close us down is if we are constantly on the attack of others and being disrespectful.

Joanie

Archived