Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

I saw the video in the Italian news and I'll try to explain it, unfortunately my vocabulary lacks maritime terminology, sorry). The people in it have been identified to be officials and crew, among them there's also the maitre who lives in the the island), Ms. Cemortan was in the next room. The video starts 10 minutes after the impact and the dialogs show how Schettino from the begining denied the emergency situation when speaking with the port authorities, at some point he says they still have 3 out of 6 power generators (maybe he wanted to continue), but the ship starts listing and he decides to approach the coast and anchor and calls someone (Costa probably? - but we don't hear the conversation), actually it's not what he does but how he behaves, you can see that he is not capable of deciding, the other people in the bridge are calm but wait for his orders which as we know didn't come on time, the tone of his voice shows incertitude and even another official who is on board as a passenger (Bosio) at a certain point 'takes over', they keep saying General Emergency but they do nothing, at some point he says "call the tugs". We hear also that 15 minutes before the abandon ship order someone tells the captain that some passengers are already in the lifeboats and he says "vabbuo'" (like saying 'okey dokey'). After the abandon ship signal we hear the speakers asking passengers to put on their lifevests and proceed to the muster stations.The video is further proof of his lack of character and the precious time he lost because of it.

Okay - someone help me out here. This is what I have deducted so far for "Vabbuò".

"This demonstrates how Schettino was not able to cope with the situation. This comes from the reaction of the disclosure by other officers that some of the passengers were already heading to the lifeboats, on their own: "Vabbuò", responds Schettino."

Vabbuo means "okay" in this case I think - please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://tv.liberoquotidiano.it/video/105216/Schettino___I_passeggeri_scendono__Vabbu%C3%B2_.html

The video just made it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doN909fxZRI

maybe from the comments if any we can get some translations.

At the end of the video they talk about a follow-up tomorrow of a detailed account from the minute of impact to the minute the abandon ship order was given.

Just translated the first comments under the You Tube and am posting the translation here (Have not even read it yet, so I have no idea what it says, but think it important enough to post first read later:)

Exclusive images of tg the dramatic moments of the incident of the cruise ship Costa at isola del Giglio on 13 January, filmed by who was on board. Documented the great confusion and delays in alarm and directives to the passengers and the absolute absence of Schettino:

Are the images and the sound of what happened in the dashboard command immediately after the collision with the rock. There is total loss even before the alarm that comes almost immediately from the bottom of the two open holes in the hull. Commander come signs confused, do not decide immediately on what to do and-actually-you have a clear confirmation of an act which creates total confusion. Everyone talks with everyone, but there is no decision by the subsequent reconstruction while the ship was already skewed.

The voice of Schettino. In the images of the video there is animation, but not turmoil, as the ' Tg5 ' while the ship is already inclined to 12 degrees. In the movie you listen to the audio of a telephone call made by Schettino at 22.25 Costa Concordia from the navigating bridge. At that point the ship is already 12 degrees slanted, you listen Schettino who, having already had two telephone conversations with Roberto Ferrarini, operation manager of Costa crociere, talk to someone else, who still do not know who he is.

Images to be sharp, blurry at times; underneath the words superimposed phrases recorded in dashboard, which shows the uncertainty in the decisions to be taken. Among the recorded dialogues between a too official and presumably Schettino: "Commander passengers are beginning to enter the lance it yourself ...". And the reply: "Vabbuò ...".

The emergency. There are several entries that are recorded in the video. Shortly after the collision of one of these is expressed thus: "there are engines ... are going to hell". And then: "practically there is a Gash and the water is down ...".

Maybe it's still Schettino or another officer who asks "are we scarrocciando to the ground, how many yards we?". "100 m", is the answer. "We expect that scarrocciamo another little lower waters, then let's end again and see ...". The video also shows a General Declaration of emergency and abandon ship, whose announcement is also given in several languages. But shortly before someone, always in-dash, asks: "What do we do? We make? ".

Joanie

Thank you for this translation. I posted before I saw your post on what I thought Vabbuo meant and I'm glad I was on track. Now at the end they talk about another video coming out tomorrow giving more details. Could you elaborate on this? Thanks

I saw the video in the Italian news and I'll try to explain it, unfortunately my vocabulary lacks maritime terminology, sorry). The people in it have been identified to be officials and crew, among them there's also the maitre who lives in the the island), Ms. Cemortan was in the next room. The video starts 10 minutes after the impact and the dialogs show how Schettino from the begining denied the emergency situation when speaking with the port authorities, at some point he says they still have 3 out of 6 power generators (maybe he wanted to continue), but the ship starts listing and he decides to approach the coast and anchor and calls someone (Costa probably? - but we don't hear the conversation), actually it's not what he does but how he behaves, you can see that he is not capable of deciding, the other people in the bridge are calm but wait for his orders which as we know didn't come on time, the tone of his voice shows incertitude and even another official who is on board as a passenger (Bosio) at a certain point 'takes over', they keep saying General Emergency but they do nothing, at some point he says "call the tugs". We hear also that 15 minutes before the abandon ship order someone tells the captain that some passengers are already in the lifeboats and he says "vabbuo'" (like saying 'okey dokey'). After the abandon ship signal we hear the speakers asking passengers to put on their lifevests and proceed to the muster stations.The video is further proof of his lack of character and the precious time he lost because of it.

Apparently "Vabbuò is typical in Naples .... a stock phrase to say well,.. or anyway,... "

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=967813

From the preliminary reports that I've read that is the voice of Schettino saying "vabbuo" after being told that the passengers were alone and did not know what to do. Apparently this is some form of va bene or "its okay". Will try to find out more.

It sounds as if "Vabbuo" may be Italian verncular for the American vernacular: "Whatever"

Just translated the first comments under the You Tube and am posting the translation here (Have not even read it yet, so I have no idea what it says, but think it important enough to post first read later:)

Exclusive images of tg the dramatic moments of the incident of the cruise ship Costa at isola del Giglio on 13 January, filmed by who was on board. Documented the great confusion and delays in alarm and directives to the passengers and the absolute absence of Schettino:

Are the images and the sound of what happened in the dashboard command immediately after the collision with the rock. There is total loss even before the alarm that comes almost immediately from the bottom of the two open holes in the hull. Commander come signs confused, do not decide immediately on what to do and-actually-you have a clear confirmation of an act which creates total confusion. Everyone talks with everyone, but there is no decision by the subsequent reconstruction while the ship was already skewed.

The voice of Schettino. In the images of the video there is animation, but not turmoil, as the ' Tg5 ' while the ship is already inclined to 12 degrees. In the movie you listen to the audio of a telephone call made by Schettino at 22.25 Costa Concordia from the navigating bridge. At that point the ship is already 12 degrees slanted, you listen Schettino who, having already had two telephone conversations with Roberto Ferrarini, operation manager of Costa crociere, talk to someone else, who still do not know who he is.

Images to be sharp, blurry at times; underneath the words superimposed phrases recorded in dashboard, which shows the uncertainty in the decisions to be taken. Among the recorded dialogues between a too official and presumably Schettino: "Commander passengers are beginning to enter the lance it yourself ...". And the reply: "Vabbuò ...".

The emergency. There are several entries that are recorded in the video. Shortly after the collision of one of these is expressed thus: "there are engines ... are going to hell". And then: "practically there is a Gash and the water is down ...".

Maybe it's still Schettino or another officer who asks "are we scarrocciando to the ground, how many yards we?". "100 m", is the answer. "We expect that scarrocciamo another little lower waters, then let's end again and see ...". The video also shows a General Declaration of emergency and abandon ship, whose announcement is also given in several languages. But shortly before someone, always in-dash, asks: "What do we do? We make? ".

Joanie

Thank You. All this is so interesting.

"...Ms. Cemortan was in the next room."

As I suggested previously, on most cruise ships, The Captain has a private cabin adjacent to the bridge.

Joanie

Joanie, thank you for posting this.

Laura

Correct, there will be another part of the video on tomorrow evening's news (as if it was a double episode... perhaps they need higher ratings on saturdays...) I'll try to watch it and comment it here.

The translation from youtube that someone just posted shows that he had already talked to Ferrarini from Costa so we don't know who is he talking to in the second phone call (where he is circled in red). The crew in the bridge seems calm until they realize that he's dazed and, according to the reporter narrating, that's when the 'mutiny' happened (where they start saying "General Emergency").

smrkmar - did they say on the news who filmed this video? Do they say which channel and at what time they will give a more detailed version? Sorry for all the questions but there are no English translations yet. Thanks

Okay - you answered my previous post before I saw this one. Thank you. Please keep us informed.

Correct, there will be another part of the video on tomorrow evening's news (as if it was a double episode... perhaps they need higher ratings on saturdays...) I'll try to watch it and comment it here.

The translation from youtube that someone just posted shows that he had already talked to Ferrarini from Costa so we don't know who is he talking to in the second phone call (where he is circled in red). The crew in the bridge seems calm until they realize that he's dazed and, according to the reporter narrating, that's when the 'mutiny' happened (where they start saying "General Emergency").

smrkmar - if you're still here, do you know anything about this email from Domnica to Schettino? This just came out as well. Wonder what it's all about.

Thanks in advance

http://www.corriere.it/cronache/12_febbraio_10/domnica-atti_501a54aa-541e-11e1-a1a9-e74b7d5bd021.shtml

"...Ms. Cemortan was in the next room."

As I suggested previously, on most cruise ships, The Captain has a private cabin adjacent to the bridge.

My link, provided in post 707, had this in it.

Whether the presence on board of the 25-year-old former dancer has any relevance to the accident is unclear.

She told prosecutors that she was fascinated by Schettino, and that she had left personal items including cosmetics in his cabin. In television interviews, she spoke in glowing terms of his competence, and praised his response to the disaster.

Questioned by magistrates, Schettino acknowledged her presence in the bridge area at around the time of the accident, but said she had not come near the actual command zone, and he appeared not to be completely sure of her last name.

That should indicate that she was in his cabin.

Disclaimer: Does not indicate, nor am I saying, why she was there.

smrkmar - did they say on the news who filmed this video? Do they say which channel and at what time they will give a more detailed version? Sorry for all the questions but there are no English translations yet. Thanks

The link of the news channel is this http://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/tg5/

They do not say who filmed the video, but it has (obviously) already been given to the authorities investigating the whole thing.

My link, provided in post 707, had this in it.

Whether the presence on board of the 25-year-old former dancer has any relevance to the accident is unclear.

She told prosecutors that she was fascinated by Schettino, and that she had left personal items including cosmetics in his cabin. In television interviews, she spoke in glowing terms of his competence, and praised his response to the disaster.

Questioned by magistrates, Schettino acknowledged her presence in the bridge area at around the time of the accident, but said she had not come near the actual command zone, and he appeared not to be completely sure of her last name.

That should indicate that she was in his cabin.

Disclaimer: Does not indicate, nor am I saying, why she was there.

If he didnt know her, how would she know to gather clothing and laptop and her stuf

smrkmar - if you're still here, do you know anything about this email from Domnica to Schettino? This just came out as well. Wonder what it's all about.

Thanks in advance

http://www.corriere.it/cronache/12_febbraio_10/domnica-atti_501a54aa-541e-11e1-a1a9-e74b7d5bd021.shtml

Still here! I didn't see the whole edition of tonight's news but they showed the transcription.

Apparently this article explains that he told the attorneys she wrote him an e-mail when he was in jail, she writes "I hate you, be strong" (??)

She told the attorney she went to get clothes for him and herself in his cabin and also his laptop. When they got to the island they were together for an hour from 4 to 5 a.m. Then she left for Rome and went home.

I think this girl is liking the attention very much, while swapping channels I heard an interview with her in french in which the reporter asks her "is Schettino the father of your daughter?" (c'mon!!) and she replies "I don't think so", the reporter asks "you don't think so, so you are not sure?" and she says something like "why, am I not allowed to joke anymore?" ... Then I decided I have already given her too much of my attention and switched channel.

All cruise ships have a room directly behind the bridge which is a smaller version of the bridge and has monitors for cameras as does the bridge,it is also used by the ships officers for their day to day work and the Navigators for maps. On the Ruby Princess the room has curtains that divide the room from the bridge.

videos cameras are not allowed on the bridge at any time so it begs the question of who was there and why? was it a passenger who has sneaked in?

Puzzle .... Also towards the end of the 2nd video who noticed a totaly empty promenade deck with lifeboats still secured near the end of the video?

I think this girl is liking the attention very much, while swapping channels I heard an interview with her in french in which the reporter asks her "is Schettino the father of your daughter?" (c'mon!!) and she replies "I don't think so", the reporter asks "you don't think so, so you are not sure?" and she says something like "why, am I not allowed to joke anymore?" ... Then I decided I have already given her too much of my attention and switched channel.

BINGO! We have a winner here! You can almost bet she is being paid for some of the interviews she is giving too.

For personal reasons I have commented very little on her. That said, I have not liked many of her comments because they are leading... leading reporters and even many here, to questions about her relationship to the Captain. Whether the baby is his or not is not her point; her comment was enough of a teaser to keep reporters interested. She is a self centered person, enjoying all this attention. She enjoyed the power that the Captain had. Now that it's gone, she getting everything she can out of this.

Puzzle .... Also towards the end of the 2nd video who noticed a totaly empty promenade deck with lifeboats still secured near the end of the video?

What do you make of that?

I did notice that everyone was extremely calm...the passengers waiting to get on the lifeboat...the crew members casually hanging around the hallways. You'd swear they were taking a smoke break, wouldn't you?

Strange reactions!

The captain said he didnt know her last name. But enought to tell her to get them clothes and laptop.

Nice email. I hate you! Be strong. You know the relationship really has no bearing on the error he made. All the the things that have done will come out with the story. As the night Tiger Woods had an accident, how ittle did he think his whoe private life was exposed.

If this little girl is his daughter, she still deserves support from the father.

All cruise ships have a room directly behind the bridge which is a smaller version of the bridge and has monitors for cameras as does the bridge,it is also used by the ships officers for their day to day work and the Navigators for maps. On the Ruby Princess the room has curtains that divide the room from the bridge.

videos cameras are not allowed on the bridge at any time so it begs the question of who was there and why? was it a passenger who has sneaked in?

Aboard my ship, cell phones, video and tape recorders are not allowed by the company and you will not be able to even board the helicopter for the flight out to the rig with any recording equipment. During a major screw up, the company doesn't want any leaks, no pun intended.

Archived