Lobster

jaredkira

I can't for life of me remember where we had fabulous lobster lunch outside in St Johns near marketplace but in Portland we like Gilbert's Chowder House and DiMilios (a little pricier but also on waterfront) .. give Gilbert's slight edge and they have nice outdoor area for pretty days..

I would say Portland. We had Lobster in Portland and it was excellent! Can't remember the name of the restaurant but it was on the water.

DiMillio's (DeMillio)... big place on the water... so used to cruise ships that I nearly fell out of my chair when they brought this huge whole lobster out with all the tools and no one offered to do all the work! Also Gilberts.

Portland Lobster Company.

Outdoor picnic benches and it doesn't get more casual but great lobster, fried clams, typical New England lobster shack food. It is very close to where the ships dock. Go out from the dock, turn left and walk straight.... about 8-10 minute walk. Very pleasant short walk on a nice day.

We are going on the Carnival Glory and would like a lobster lunch at one of the ports?

What restaurant would you recommend and which port: Portland, Halifax or St John?

You can't go wrong with any of them. They all originate from the Bay of Fundy and will spoil your taste for any other lobster. The Digby scallops are also amazing!

If you can get yourself there, I recommend "The Lobster Shack" in Cape Elizabeth (just outside of Portland). It's been featured on the Food Network, and often attracts overseas visitors who know that it's "The Place" to get Lobster. It's on a classic rocky coast, with picnic tables outside and seating inside. Lobster, lobster rolls, hand-cut/battered onion rings, crab rolls, clams, shrimp, etc... also hot dogs/hamburgers and "homemade" pies and desserts.

Seriously... not to be missed!

The only problem is that they don't allow buses--not enough parking space, and they're on the dead end of a residential area. So you'd have to get a cab or transportation of some sort.

But... while you're out that way, there are two lighthouses right there (Cape Elizabeth Light or Two Lights), and not far away is Portland Headlight (often identified as the most photographed lighthouse in the world).

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
We are going on the Carnival Glory and would like a lobster lunch at one of the ports?

What restaurant would you recommend and which port: Portland, Halifax or St John?

If you are looking for real value for your $, and would be satisfied with a true "no-frills" dining experience, consider Three Sons Lobster at 72 Commercial Street in Portland (Very close to the cruise pier.) We came across it on our first New England cruise two summers ago after walking half the town in search of lobster at a reasonable price. (Wish someone had told us about it earlier, as we were on a pretty limited vacation budget.) You literally can't get fresher lobster, because they have their own lobster boat pulling right up to their back entrance. You can pick whatever size lobsters you want from their holding tanks, and for about .50 apiece they'll steam them for you in just a few minutes; you can add drawn butter and fresh lemon wedges for another $1.00 or so. You can also order fresh clams, corn on the cob, chowder, and other things if you'd like, all ala carte. (We got only the lobsters.) Only drawback is (but its also part of their charm), no plates, no utensils, and no real dining area per se. You're just handed your steaming hot lobsters in a brown paper bag, given a few sections of old newspapers to use as placemats, and are directed to a couple of wooden picnic tables right outside their store, which is on a side street almost right next to where the cruise ships dock. You can either remember to bring your own crab/nut crackers from home, or they will rent you one to use for a small deposit. It is really a memorable experience, and I recommend you try them even if you still plan to get a more traditional lobster meal in one of your other ports. Just also remember to bring a packet of wetnaps or a plastic ziploc bag of wet paper towels to wipe yourself off with afterward, because you will need to! (Look them up online. There were a lot of happy customer reviews there last time I checked.) :)

If you are looking for real value for your $, and would be satisfied with a true "no-frills" dining experience, consider Three Sons Lobster at 72 Commercial Street in Portland (Very close to the cruise pier.) We came across it on our first New England cruise two summers ago after walking half the town in search of lobster at a reasonable price. (Wish someone had told us about it earlier, as we were on a pretty limited vacation budget.) You literally can't get fresher lobster, because they have their own lobster boat pulling right up to their back entrance. You can pick whatever size lobsters you want from their holding tanks, and for about .50 apiece they'll steam them for you in just a few minutes; you can add drawn butter and fresh lemon wedges for another $1.00 or so. You can also order fresh clams, corn on the cob, chowder, and other things if you'd like, all ala carte. (We got only the lobsters.) Only drawback is (but its also part of their charm), no plates, no utensils, and no real dining area per se. You're just handed your steaming hot lobsters in a brown paper bag, given a few sections of old newspapers to use as placemats, and are directed to a couple of wooden picnic tables right outside their store, which is on a side street almost right next to where the cruise ships dock. You can either remember to bring your own crab/nut crackers from home, or they will rent you one to use for a small deposit. It is really a memorable experience, and I recommend you try them even if you still plan to get a more traditional lobster meal in one of your other ports. Just also remember to bring a packet of wetnaps or a plastic ziploc bag of wet paper towels to wipe yourself off with afterward, because you will need to! (Look them up online. There were a lot of happy customer reviews there last time I checked.) :)

We are lucky enough to live nearby and when out of state relatives/guests are here in the summer we'll buy a couple dozen lobsters, have them steamed and have a picnic at our house! Nothing better than that! I agree with you that this is a real treat for those that want the no-frills experience right on the Maine waterfront. The other restaurants are great choices as well. DiMillo's has an outdoor deck that is fabulous on a nice day. The lobster will taste the same wherever you go -- just decide on the experience you want! :) ENJOY!!

• 1 month later...

Maine = Lobster and it doesn't get much better than Portland Lobster Company

http://portlandlobstercompany.com/

Eating lobster is a messy endeavor and, as nice as DiMillo's is, we prefer a more casual setting. Either one are great. While others may have suggested nice places further away, Portland Lobster Company and DiMillo's are an easy walk from your cruise ship. Enjoy your visit to Portland!

Alright - I need to know.

How much am I going to plan on spending for a lobster? I can do any of the restaurants but price will be a factor.

Depends on what time of year, and especially where you go. In the summer boat price for shedders can be as low as 2.50lb. So if you buy from a no-frills outfit, you might pay as low as 4 bucks a pound. Alot of decent but lower end restaurants will offer a pair of chicks(2 roughly 1-1 1/4lb) lobsters will fixins for 19.99. Go to a nice restaurant and the top end of the scale is pretty much limitless:).

Later in the season prices can go up, or if it's a low catch. But we've had the two biggest lobster catch landings in history the last two years, so prices should stay low.

If you can get yourself there, I recommend "The Lobster Shack" in Cape Elizabeth (just outside of Portland). It's been featured on the Food Network, and often attracts overseas visitors who know that it's "The Place" to get Lobster. It's on a classic rocky coast, with picnic tables outside and seating inside. Lobster, lobster rolls, hand-cut/battered onion rings, crab rolls, clams, shrimp, etc... also hot dogs/hamburgers and "homemade" pies and desserts.

Seriously... not to be missed!

The only problem is that they don't allow buses--not enough parking space, and they're on the dead end of a residential area. So you'd have to get a cab or transportation of some sort.

But... while you're out that way, there are two lighthouses right there (Cape Elizabeth Light or Two Lights), and not far away is Portland Headlight (often identified as the most photographed lighthouse in the world).

Good luck!

THIS! Seriously some of the best lobstah I've ever had (and I'm from New England) and it's soooooooooooooo beautiful, too.

You will have wonderful lobster in Bar Harbor, Portland and/or Halifax. Can't go wrong in any of those ports looking for a great cold water, hard shell lobster. We've had many in all those ports and never had a bad one. :)

Archived