Alaska 14 Day round trip Seattle

ibfishing2

I am interested in the Holland, round trip Seattle. I was wondering if anyone has sailed this itinerary that can help me decide which side, port or starboard is best.

We were on the Amsterdam in May 2010 for this cruise. Personally I don't think it matters which side your cabin is on. We had a balcony but still I spent a lot of time out of our cabin either on tours or walking in ports or varying which side of the ship I watched the view from.

When we were in Glacier Bay the ship made a U-turn so both sides of the ship had awesome views for a length of time.

No matter what side your cabin is on, you will absolutely love the cruise imo.

We've done this cruise itinerary twice - LOVED it! Couldn't afford a balcony either time, so we did cabin 7056 aft on the Navigation Deck (oceanview w/little known/used public deck just five steps out our door!:) Loved it!). Then we sailed in 2707 third from the aft on the Main deck, another outside with another "secret" deck just a few more steps out our cabin door, and one flight of stairs up to the Promenade. Again - LOVED it! Go aft, young man!;)

Thank all of you for you posts. Although we spend a lot of time out around the ship, we loved going to sleep and waking up to the wonderful views. We also love the pot views while docked.

Thanks again!

Of course I mean PORT views.

We've done this cruise itinerary twice - LOVED it! Couldn't afford a balcony either time, so we did cabin 7056 aft on the Navigation Deck (oceanview w/little known/used public deck just five steps out our door!:) Loved it!). Then we sailed in 2707 third from the aft on the Main deck, another outside with another "secret" deck just a few more steps out our cabin door, and one flight of stairs up to the Promenade. Again - LOVED it! Go aft, young man!;)

Thanks for the room tips! We've done this cruise once in a balcony (expensive!) but would like to do it again. I did notice one inside cabin (6221) on our deck so it is also steps from the aft deck. It's nice to know that we have some affordable options!

You're welcome, Cheryl, and yes, do consider that inside cabin on deck six (there are also a few on the Navigation Deck - again just steps out the aft to the "secret deck"!). I would happily take an oceanview or an inside on this ship - as long as it was close to the aft to "escape" to the great outdoors when need be. A cabin on the LP would be nice too!:) Love the Amsterdam and all those aft secret decks. Big fan here!

If you can't get Lynda's secret cabin, I would seriously spring for a balcony. We also did this cruise, with an inside cabin. Everyone said we would be out on deck during all the scenic cruising/stops. And, that was true BUT....it would have been SO WONDERFUL to experience all that scenery 24/7. It would have been money well spent, because now we have to go back to have that experience and it's going to cost us more. I wouldn't get an OV. On Amsterdam, the bed blocks the view. And, especially don't get an OV on the Promenade deck, because that's where everyone hangs out.

Don't make my mistake. Don't take this cruise until you have enough money for a balcony!!! Just be careful with the location, because many of Amsterdam's balcony cabins are either over or under possibly noisy areas.

If you can't get Lynda's secret cabin, I would seriously spring for a balcony. We also did this cruise, with an inside cabin. Everyone said we would be out on deck during all the scenic cruising/stops. And, that was true BUT....it would have been SO WONDERFUL to experience all that scenery 24/7. It would have been money well spent, because now we have to go back to have that experience and it's going to cost us more. I wouldn't get an OV. On Amsterdam, the bed blocks the view. And, especially don't get an OV on the Promenade deck, because that's where everyone hangs out.

Don't make my mistake. Don't take this cruise until you have enough money for a balcony!!! Just be careful with the location, because many of Amsterdam's balcony cabins are either over or under possibly noisy areas.

Obviously different strokes for different folks.

We had an obstructed OV on the Promenade deck and loved it!!! No way were we going to pay what they wanted for a balcony. We figured it out and even with all of our expensive tours, we paid less for the OV cabin and all our tours than we would have for just the balcony on our cruise. The balconies were outrageous in my mind. I would much rather go on the tours in each port that take you into the wilderness of Alaska than have a balcony. Now, if money were no object and I could have the balcony and not have to cut corners in the ports, then yes, I am sure a balcony is absolutely lovely. However, for those of us on budgets an OV or even an inside works just fine.

I was on This cruise last July and loved it. I would rate it the top Alaskan cruise. I had an insided cabin and so in Tracy Arm and Hubbard's Glacier I was at the bow of the ship. I highly recomend this cruise and if you take it then in Victoria, do go to the Buchart Gardens.

Agree w/VBMom (hi Mary!), there was just no way we could afford a balcony and still be able to go on the tours we chose to do. So the OV's were just fine for us, and I wouldn't hesitate trying an Inside either (one of those larger ones on the Main deck appeal to me, we caught a glimpse of one this past August - all that space!). I have had a balcony twice for Alaska (on the 7 day Oosterdam), and it WAS wonderful, but since it is a Vista class ship, they have more balconies and therefore, the cost is less. On the Amsterdam, the balcony cabins, even the lowest catagory were just too dear for us to afford the excursions we wanted (and needed;)) to have - whale watching and bear viewing (twice!) that I just wasn't willing to give up. Besides that, knowing the Amsterdam like I do now, I can honestly say that those "secret" aft decks did the trick for me - many, many hours logged back there, in a comfy lounge, scanning the seas for whales. So those rooms I chose were the next best thing, and we were happy with the choice that is right for us. As previously stated, different strokes....Maybe someday, when I hit the lottery;) I'll snag me one of those suites and enjoy the high life. But for now, I'm good to go being on ANY ship in ANY cabin for Alaska:D!

Agree w/VBMom (hi Mary!), there was just no way we could afford a balcony and still be able to go on the tours we chose to do. So the OV's were just fine for us, and I wouldn't hesitate trying an Inside either (one of those larger ones on the Main deck appeal to me, we caught a glimpse of one this past August - all that space!). I have had a balcony twice for Alaska (on the 7 day Oosterdam), and it WAS wonderful, but since it is a Vista class ship, they have more balconies and therefore, the cost is less. On the Amsterdam, the balcony cabins, even the lowest catagory were just too dear for us to afford the excursions we wanted (and needed;)) to have - whale watching and bear viewing (twice!) that I just wasn't willing to give up. Besides that, knowing the Amsterdam like I do now, I can honestly say that those "secret" aft decks did the trick for me - many, many hours logged back there, in a comfy lounge, scanning the seas for whales. So those rooms I chose were the next best thing, and we were happy with the choice that is right for us. As previously stated, different strokes....Maybe someday, when I hit the lottery;) I'll snag me one of those suites and enjoy the high life. But for now, I'm good to go being on ANY ship in ANY cabin for Alaska:D!

Ditto. We have done two 14 day AK cruises with an inside cabin. We would rather take more cruises with inside cabins then less cruises with a balcony. But if we ever win the lottery we'll probably never see the inside cabins again.

Rowsby - yes, plenty of seating on the "secret decks." The one on the aft of the Navigation deck had two wooden benches on either side filled w/those plaid wool blankets (perfect to wrap yourself in!), and four lounges on each side, plus about 10 lounges piled up on either side as well, so as many people as are there, there are plenty of lounges for use.

The aft of the Main Deck has a solid steel structure at the bottom, so even tho loungers are there, you can't really "see" when sitting. The railing of the aft of Navigation deck is not solid - regular railing, so sitting with a great view is no problem whatsoever.

Ditto. We have done two 14 day AK cruises with an inside cabin. We would rather take more cruises with inside cabins then less cruises with a balcony. But if we ever win the lottery we'll probably never see the inside cabins again.

I am standing by what I said. I've been on 22 cruises from the fjords, med, tahiti. We have had insides THIRTEEN times, so I am not one of those rich folks who can only do verandahs. For the BEST Alaska experience, a verandah will take it over the top. You will still enjoy it in any cabin---we did in our inside. I am talking about if you have a choice, as we did. We chose an inside because of the same advice (probably from the same people) and it hindered our experience. I am one of those people who truly appreciate fantastic scenery while putting on my makeup, getting dressed, or resting on the bed!! For those of you who disagreed, that is your opinion. I know the difference in cost is outrageous. Now that I have turned 60, I am probably looking at things a little differently. From now on, it's nothing but the best (although we probably will do more insides to make up for the cost of more verandahs). To me, all the insides we have had balance out the cost of a verandah in Alaska!! We have never had a bad cruise---even the time we had such a tiny inside cabin on Norway---one of us had to be on the bottom bunk so the other could get dressed! Anyway, I am going to continue to be the Alaska balcony cheerleader on these boards, so others don't make my mistake.

I am standing by what I said..... Anyway, I am going to continue to be the Alaska balcony cheerleader on these boards, so others don't make my mistake.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you that a balcony in Alaska is wonderful. It is just that not everyone wants to put out that kind of money, especially if it will mean making cuts on excursions. I for one, would not be happy if all I could do was walk around the ports. So, for anyone that can afford a balcony, absolutely go for it.

Yes, I hope you will continue to be a cheerleader for balconies. New cruisers need to read both sides. I am actually surprised you feel you were led the wrong way when you planned your Alaska cruise. There have been many, many threads that discuss whether a balcony is worth it in Alaska. The responses are quite balanced, but there are many posters who say they would not cruise to Alaska without a balcony. I do admit, I would have loved a balcony in Alaska. It would have great in the morning to just step out of your cabin and be outside. However, I do not regret not spending the amount extra it would have cost us.....it would have been thousands of dollars more. I just could not justify that, even for the better experience. For those who can justify it, absolutely go for a balcony!! I always tell posters to follow their gut. Usually it will be the right decision.

I am standing by what I said. I've been on 22 cruises from the fjords, med, tahiti. We have had insides THIRTEEN times, so I am not one of those rich folks who can only do verandahs. For the BEST Alaska experience, a verandah will take it over the top. You will still enjoy it in any cabin---we did in our inside. I am talking about if you have a choice, as we did. We chose an inside because of the same advice (probably from the same people) and it hindered our experience. I am one of those people who truly appreciate fantastic scenery while putting on my makeup, getting dressed, or resting on the bed!! For those of you who disagreed, that is your opinion. I know the difference in cost is outrageous. Now that I have turned 60, I am probably looking at things a little differently. From now on, it's nothing but the best (although we probably will do more insides to make up for the cost of more verandahs). To me, all the insides we have had balance out the cost of a verandah in Alaska!! We have never had a bad cruise---even the time we had such a tiny inside cabin on Norway---one of us had to be on the bottom bunk so the other could get dressed! Anyway, I am going to continue to be the Alaska balcony cheerleader on these boards, so others don't make my mistake.

Well, I will continue to book (cheaper) interior staterooms! ;) Besides, if one is a non-smoker, there will be the 'risk' of your verandah neighbour(s) being smokers! And that would be a waste of money booking a verandah suite, wouldn't it? :rolleyes: Standing by the rail on the Promenade Deck is good enough for me to substitute for a 'verandah', (and a lot cheaper too)! :p

Well, I will continue to book (cheaper) interior staterooms! ;) Besides, if one is a non-smoker, there will be the 'risk' of your verandah neighbour(s) being smokers! And that would be a waste of money booking a verandah suite, wouldn't it? :rolleyes: Standing by the rail on the Promenade Deck is good enough for me to substitute for a 'verandah', (and a lot cheaper too)! :p

To each his own. We are all different and have different expectations/wants. However, you made a good point. There is no way I would do this trip again on HAL. HAL is going to be the cruiseline of choice for every smoker, particularly in the verandah's!! I will have to find another cruiseline that has something comparable!! Even if we can't afford another verandah for the rest of our lives, we will see Alaska a second time from our verandah --on a cruiseline other than HAL!!

We usually purchase the cheapest OV and that is what we also did for our Alaska cruise but we were fortunate in being offered an awesome upsell price for a balcony just a week before the cruise so we snapped it up.

Hubby has mobility problems so he really appreciated being able to be out of the balcony to see more of the view while I was out on the bow or out on the promenade going from one side of the ship to the other.

Even though a balcony is great for Alaska, no matter what kind of cabin you can afford you will be able to get fantastic views from the public areas.

Hi I cruised last year I also had a inside cabin. I loved my cabin I was only a few steps away from outside. I would have loved a outside. But the cost is not worth it. Plus walking the prom deck not sure if how much of a view you really get. Plus every day they put up deck chairs. If I had the money I would do the verandah. But doing inside last June, makes me want to go back and I would this year but the Amsterdam is not going up the inside passage. I thik is a big mistake.

Mary waves to last years roll call members

Mary

I would this year but the Amsterdam is not going up the inside passage. I thik is a big mistake.

Mary waves to last years roll call members

Mary

Hi Mary. Good to see you on the boards. You will still be in the inside passage to get to some of the ports, but that first full sailing day will be out in the ocean instead of to the east of Vancouver Island. This is a big disappointment, but it is one day out of 14. You might still want to consider it, if this is the only reason you decided not to go. ;) Unless you are hoping that HAL or another cruise-line will change the itinerary. Personally, I would like to see them swap Glacier Bay for Tracy Arm and Skagway for Icy Strait.

Archived