Baltic cruise

Goldiedog

We are sailing Celebrity Eclipse in June, one of the stops is Brugge, does anybody know if we will have to do a ship's tour or can we walk from the ship.

No cruise ships can dock right at Bruges. It is about seven or so miles from Zeebruge, the ship docking place for most cruisers, going to Bruges.

When Bruges was at its peak, it was considered the top commercial city in the world. Like Amsterdam, Bruges is sometimes referred to as "The Venice of the North". Bruges was already included in the circuit of the Flemish cloth fairs at the beginning of the 13th century. The city's entrepreneurs reached out to make economic colonies of England and Scotland's wool-producing districts. The statue of Jan Breydel and Pieter de Coninck, the leaders of the uprising against the French in 1302, can be seen on the central market square. Starting around 1500, the ship channel, which had given the city its prosperity, started silting. The city soon fell behind Antwerp as the economic flagship of the Low Countries. Its power and wealth faded after that point until tourism came to revive and bring back its past glories. The historic center of Bruges has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2000.

If you have not traveled yet on a Solstice-type ship, check out my live/blog for many more details on these ships, their food, entertainment, offerings, etc. Am over 60,000 views and appreciate those who have tuned in, asked questions, etc. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment. The only "dumb question" is the one you don't ask.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 60,049 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 57,071 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

The historic and scenic main town square in Bruges is super scenic and has lots outdoor dining options, activity, etc.:

BrugeSquare.jpg

Waterways and buildings in Bruges:

BrugesWaterway.jpg

A horse-drawn carriage in front of one of many chocolate shops in Bruges. Wonderful treats in these stores. Very fresh & good. Appreciated as gifts!:

BrugesHorsChoc.jpg

More waterways and buildings in Bruges:

LongCanalBridge.jpg

The unique rooflines in the main square of Bruges. We ate at one of the outside places on this square with all of its soaring buildings. Just super loved the setting, beer, soup, mussels, bread, etc.!:

RoofsOnSquare.jpg

The Belgium flag and historic building on the main square:

BelgiumFlag2.jpg

Brugge/Bruges = same thing.

You'll not want to walk the 8 - 10 miles from your ship at Zeebrugge to Bruges. :D

But there's options -

By train from Blankenberge - or sometimes from Zeebrugge Strand, which doesn't operate year-round. Cruise line is likely to provide a shuttle, probably free, from the ship to the appropriate rail station. Can't remember train details, but frequent enough, under 10 euros, no more than ten minutes to Bruges. Bruges station is on the edge of the old town centre, across the inner ring road.

Or by taxi or van hired at the port. A lot of folk agree a two-way price with the driver and a time/place to meet for the return.

I don't know of a bus route, there probably is one but I don't know of anyone who's used a bus.

Ship's buses aren't allowed into the old town centre, the drop-off point is off the inner ring road near the rail station.

Bruges centre is compact & although cobbled is all easy walking, so you only need concern yourself with the transfer from Zeebrugge.

JB :)

Brugge/Bruges = same thing.

But there's options -

By train from Blankenberge - or sometimes from Zeebrugge Strand, which doesn't operate year-round. Cruise line is likely to provide a shuttle, probably free, from the ship to the appropriate rail station.

I agree with John Bull's advice, apart from the bit about the free shuttle. My experience of Celebrity leads me to believe that a shuttle bus from Zeebrugge to Blankenberg is very unlikely to be free. I recall paying $10 for a return shuttle from Tourlas harbour into Mykonos town - and that was just 1.5 km. Celebrity are likely to charge for this service. Unfortunately, from where the cruise ships berth in Zeebrugge harbour, it's very difficult to walk out. You are stuck with what the relevant cruise line is offering, I'm afraid.

. My experience of Celebrity leads me to believe that a shuttle bus from Zeebrugge to Blankenberg is very unlikely to be free. I recall paying $10 for a return shuttle from Tourlas harbour into Mykonos town - and that was just 1.5 km. Celebrity are likely to charge for this service. .

Yes, you're probably right, Tom.

Kerrrching, $$$ :D

But if one of your up-coming P&O's is Zeebrugge, it's free :)

Best bet is to go to your roll call board. There are usually loads of people booking mini bus type taxis to take you to and from Brugges. Usually works out about $10 each. I think on our roll call we ended up with about 10 minibus loads!

Simon

I agree with John Bull's advice, apart from the bit about the free shuttle. My experience of Celebrity leads me to believe that a shuttle bus from Zeebrugge to Blankenberg is very unlikely to be free. I recall paying $10 for a return shuttle from Tourlas harbour into Mykonos town - and that was just 1.5 km. Celebrity are likely to charge for this service. Unfortunately, from where the cruise ships berth in Zeebrugge harbour, it's very difficult to walk out. You are stuck with what the relevant cruise line is offering, I'm afraid.

As far as I know, shuttle buses are provided by the local commerce or port authority, not the cruise lines. This is so you'll go into their town centres and spend your money there. In some busy ports you have to get a shuttle bus in and out.

When we got the shuttle bus from Zeebrugge to Blankenburg it was free.

Most ports don't charge for the shuttle buses. Only Helsinki have charged us in all the ports we've visited.

Archived