Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Micki

and this is why we have had 74000 views on this thread and every contribution has been in a helpful and well mannered way. I just hope it continues that people like you and me who know little of the techniques can ask the question and receive well informed answers in a friendly manner.

From the picture showing the strand jacks it is understandable how the chains will work to pull the ship to the verticle and the help that the Port side caissons will give in both weight and buoyancy to achive it.

Like everyone else i am looking forward to seeing a documentary describing how it was achieved ..... :)

From the picture showing the strand jacks it is understandable how the chains will work to pull the ship to the verticle and the help that the Port side caissons will give in both weight and buoyancy to achive it.

Like everyone else i am looking forward to seeing a documentary describing how it was achieved ..... :)

Sid;

Sounds like quite a balancing act. There will be strand jacks from the top of the caissons to the top of the offshore platforms pulling the top of the ship to port, while the strand jacks connected to the port side under the hull will try to pull the bottom back to starboard creating the rotation effect. Center of gravity simulations will be needed to determine when and how much to ballast the caissons to assist the rolling, but not enough to cause the ship to roll onto the platforms uncontrollably.

My son works for Liberty Mutual in Boston, and he just this weekend mentioned how their company had taken a big hit from the Concordia. I wasn't aware that they were in the maritime P&I business.

Many, many years ago I was involved in a similar salvage when I was working in the offshore oil business in the North Sea, and the rig the Alexander Keilland capsized taking 123 men with it. It was quite a job, having to tap into all the tanks and spaces on the rig, seal holes and vents, and connect hoses between the rig and special pumping barges. Various spaces were flooded or emptied by computer control to try to roll the rig upright, and at a certain angle, lift bags were suddenly inflated to induce a rolling motion to finish the righting. It didn't work, and we had to roll her back over and it wasn't for about 10 years that she was finally righted to allow inspection, and final towing to deep water for disposal.

Sid;

Sounds like quite a balancing act. There will be strand jacks from the top of the caissons to the top of the offshore platforms pulling the top of the ship to port, while the strand jacks connected to the port side under the hull will try to pull the bottom back to starboard creating the rotation effect. Center of gravity simulations will be needed to determine when and how much to ballast the caissons to assist the rolling, but not enough to cause the ship to roll onto the platforms uncontrollably.

My son works for Liberty Mutual in Boston, and he just this weekend mentioned how their company had taken a big hit from the Concordia. I wasn't aware that they were in the maritime P&I business.

Many, many years ago I was involved in a similar salvage when I was working in the offshore oil business in the North Sea, and the rig the Alexander Keilland capsized taking 123 men with it. It was quite a job, having to tap into all the tanks and spaces on the rig, seal holes and vents, and connect hoses between the rig and special pumping barges. Various spaces were flooded or emptied by computer control to try to roll the rig upright, and at a certain angle, lift bags were suddenly inflated to induce a rolling motion to finish the righting. It didn't work, and we had to roll her back over and it wasn't for about 10 years that she was finally righted to allow inspection, and final towing to deep water for disposal.

Interesting post. Even with all the engineering computer simulations it shows that the intended outcome is never certain.

Micki

and this is why we have had 74000 views on this thread and every contribution has been in a helpful and well mannered way. I just hope it continues that people like you and me who know little of the techniques can ask the question and receive well informed answers in a friendly manner.

Keep up the good work everyone. You are correct, I love reading and seeing the progress. Cant wait until the captain's court case, if there is one.

Thanks again

Edited by bigeck

Keep up the good work everyone. You are correct, I love reading and seeing the progress. Cant wait until the captain's court case, if there is one.

Thanks again

Oh, Schettino is in court right now, and when any information is available, be certain it will be posted on the sister thread.

Oh, Schettino is in court right now, and when any information is available, be certain it will be posted on the sister thread.

His trial date is set to start on July 9th. It will be interesting to see if he attempts another plea agreement to avoid a trial.

His trial date is set to start on July 9th. It will be interesting to see if he attempts another plea agreement to avoid a trial.

I think the plea bargaining will have started

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2

Hi Cheng .... I remember the Alexander Keilland being on the news, i would hazard a guess that a Rig would be more unstable than the Concordia especially with being in deeper water as it was.

The balancing act as you say is going to be an interesting one.

Hi Cheng .... I remember the Alexander Keilland being on the news, i would hazard a guess that a Rig would be more unstable than the Concordia especially with being in deeper water as it was.

The balancing act as you say is going to be an interesting one.

Yes, there were differences, like not having a hard point to rotate against and the fact that one entire leg had broken off the Keilland, which changed the entire center of gravity and stability of the rig, regardless of what position it was in. This salvage almost looks like a belt and suspender operation compared to the Keilland, but that is today's environmental culture and culture of instant communication.

From the photos, it appears that some of the strand jack towers are leaning a little (photo perspective?), and that worries me a little, but I haven't done the engineering calculations, so I don't know the load on the towers.

I think the plea bargaining will have started

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2

I don't get very *wordy* here about the trial as that is more for the other thread. Yes, the bargaining points have probably been going since the last court appearance. When it is presented to the court or ruled on is something I don't know. What is known is that the trial is scheduled to start on July 9th.

Cheng ... however people see this ongoing work, you have to agree that like the Oasis of the seas this recovery is a Marvel of Engineering and Ingenuity.

Sid;

Yes, I expect a "Modern Marvels" segment on History in a couple of years!

Looks like there may be more Caissons going on today.

Weekly progress report doesn't confirm this, but MV Lone is indeed alongside and her cranes are busy. Might be installation of chains or work related to fully fix the earlier installed caissons to the hull. The latter may not need a heavy lifting ship.

Micoperi 30 is currently still moored in Piombino, where the salvage consortium has set up shop, some 30 nm from Giglio.

I think I see it to the left of the screen Mike. I read somewhere that it had been taken away to have the drilling equipment removed so I presume it is now ready for the next part of the operation.

I have also seen today that MV Lone was close to the wreck with I think ,Svenja on the other side of the wreck. They have now both pulled a distance away and are close up and personal with each other presumably to transfer something over.

An interesting day now that Micoperi 30 has rejoined the operation.

I think I see it to the left of the screen Mike. I read somewhere that it had been taken away to have the drilling equipment removed so I presume it is now ready for the next part of the operation.

I have also seen today that MV Lone was close to the wreck with I think ,Svenja on the other side of the wreck. They have now both pulled a distance away and are close up and personal with each other presumably to transfer something over.

An interesting day now that Micoperi 30 has rejoined the operation.

You probably meant ER Narvik (bright orange body) a cargo vessel which they used recently to transport cement for the grout bags. MV Svenja is still in Rotterdam. To help with visual ID: Svenja and Lone look and are almost identical, with two distinctive large yellow cranes.

This moment I watched Voe Earl (a Multipurpose Anchor-Handling Tug / Workboat) dashing off to the right of the webcam range, presumably to assist in getting Micoperi 30 on site again.

Busy day, eh?

Edited by Mike.Minh

Of course Mike my mistake. There are so many I get mixed up.

Has Narvik got her cranes in position for sailing or is that just me.

eh not Narvik, Lone has cranes LOL, nevermind. Yes looks as if cranes are in resting position.

Tug Voe Earl has now reached Micoperi 30, you can watch yourself here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=247219100&centerx=10.96798&centery=42.35361&zoom=10&type_color=9

LOL its a very warm afternoon here in Manchester and also we have Andy Murray in the Wimbledon tennis final that no Brit has won for 60 years so I am getting a bit distracted I'm afraid.

Not going to risk cocking up again so has the one with the cranes sailed away now Mike.

LOL its a very warm afternoon here in Manchester and also we have Andy Murray in the Wimbledon tennis final that no Brit has won for 60 years so I am getting a bit distracted I'm afraid.

Not going to risk cocking up again so has the one with the cranes sailed away now Mike.

LOL. Same here (re Wimbledon, I'm in Devon, I hate to constantly correct you, it was 77 years).

The one with the cranes you say, well, Micoperi 30 has two cranes.......:)

Before we loose the rest of the audience here: MV Lone is on the way to Genoa, Micoperi 30 is about to become visible on the webcam.