Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Just watched the Captain's story on the 5th Estate. Although I believe he is guilty of something he did make some points which were interesting. He pointed out that ships had come as close as .12 nautical miles to the island in the past. So his .5 mile pass would have been fine according to him. Also he ordered a turn to starboard & his helmsman turned to port. He realized the error and turned back to starboard but it was to late. (The Black Box confirms this happened.) He did not want to order lifeboats being used till the ship had drifted into shallower water so thus the delay in deploying them. He has said he steered the ship into shallow water but that point is under debate as the ship had no power! As for his lifeboat story he maintains he was on the starboard side helping evacuate passengers till the ship's list became such that evacuation was impossible. He never addressed falling into a lifeboat but says he was on the roof of his lifeboat helping the crewman steering it get out from under the listing ship. He feels he is not guilty of a crime as the sinking was an accident!!

Thanks for sharing this orangearmy.

What Schettino fails to mention and what is documented in the tapes is that the helmsman repeated the incorrect order AFTER the impact -- it is not clear that the helmsman turned incorrectly after the the correct order was given and the turn certainly would not have avoided the impact as the impact had already happened.

Schettino has been backpedaling since day one. It is evident he is grasping at straws. From tapes, videos and eye witnesses, it is very clear that he is guilty of performing an unnecessary risky maneuver to the detriment of his passengers, crew and cruise company.

Here is the direct link to the 5th Estate broadcast. If anyone else can view it and comment it would be much appreciated:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2012-2013/2012/12/costa-concordia-the-captains-tale.html

Thanks for sharing this orangearmy.

What Schettino fails to mention and what is documented in the tapes is that the helmsman repeated the incorrect order AFTER the impact -- it is not clear that the helmsman turned incorrectly after the the correct order was given and the turn certainly would not have avoided the impact as the impact had already happened.

Schettino has been backpedaling since day one. It is evident he is grasping at straws. From tapes, videos and eye witnesses, it is very clear that he is guilty of performing an unnecessary risky maneuver to the detriment of his passengers, crew and cruise company.

Here is the direct link to the 5th Estate broadcast. If anyone else can view it and comment it would be much appreciated:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2012-2013/2012/12/costa-concordia-the-captains-tale.html

CFFC

I'm getting a "Video is unavailable at this time" voice over. Do you or anyone know the reason?

John

Edited by Uniall

Uni ... The course he says he set was 0.5 mile from the coast which in itself is not dangerous and previous evidence is available to prove that case ie previous sailbys.

Not being on duty ie a 4 hour shift the Captain of any vessel is entitled to leave the bridge and have dinner with whom he chooses, that is the reason they have a Staff Captain and other officers as you well know.

The course 1/2 mile from the coast may or may not be dangerous depending on the topography of the bottom. Many Caribbean islands have a dropoff to 1,000 feet depth or more several hundred yards offshore. A half mile standoff might make sense for them. I don't think it did for Giglio with known shallow submerged rocks off it's shore. He still ordered a deviation from Costa's approved course and I think that will hurt him. He was seen drinking wine with Ms. Cemortan prior to the accident. This was not wrong in itself, unless maybe you're the Captain's wife, since he was off-duty. What was wrong was him returning to the bridge and retaking command, under the influence of alcohol, to personally guide the ship through his risky, planned, dangerously close pass by "salute" to the island. The ship, with it's limited maneurerability, was going too fast to be that close to disaster. Off-duty or not the captain is ultimately responsible for everything that happens on or to the ship. This captain foolishly and recklessly engangered his ship, passengers, and crew. I'm no ship captain but was a yacht captain so I do have a little knowledge on the subject.

The course 1/2 mile from the coast may or may not be dangerous depending on the topography of the bottom. Many Caribbean islands have a dropoff to 1,000 feet depth or more several hundred yards offshore. A half mile standoff might make sense for them. I don't think it did for Giglio with known shallow submerged rocks off it's shore. He still ordered a deviation from Costa's approved course and I think that will hurt him. He was seen drinking wine with Ms. Cemortan prior to the accident. This was not wrong in itself, unless maybe you're the Captain's wife, since he was off-duty. What was wrong was him returning to the bridge and retaking command, under the influence of alcohol, to personally guide the ship through his risky, planned, dangerously close pass by "salute" to the island. The ship, with it's limited maneurerability, was going too fast to be that close to disaster. Off-duty or not the captain is ultimately responsible for everything that happens on or to the ship. This captain foolishly and recklessly engangered his ship, passengers, and crew. I'm no ship captain but was a yacht captain so I do have a little knowledge on the subject.

As a note of interest, some cruise lines (NCL for example) have instituted a zero tolerance for alcholic intake for ship's officers during their entire 4 month contract.

Just a point of note, one Captain we sailed with told us that he and his staff ie officers drank Non Alcholic drinks whilst onboard ship and as most people know these include Wine and Beer!

Max ... Concordia was not sailing at Full Speed as has been confirmed by the Data Recorder, the ship was capable of 23 knots. From previous information i understand that Captain Schettino had told whoever was in charge of the Bridge after the course had been set to contact him when Concordia was at a certain distance from Giglio Island, in one of the early TV programmes after the accident an American or Canadian woman stated to the camera that Schettino had been close to her and left the Dining room at the back of the ship after a member of his crew came to talk to him after which he left right away and before the collision! this could well be the point at which the Concordia had reached the pre determined point that he had been requested to be told.

wsscott52 .... The rock where Concordia is shelves away steeply and the La Scola rock that the Concordia hit is quite close to Giglio Island, my understanding is that at 0.5 miles from Giglio there is sufficient depth of water that allows cruise ships to pass safely.

"They reach their conclusions based upon their every day experiences and daily knowledge of human nature not some theoretical class room instruction of the law"

Uni .... Well i would never have guessed .... :p It is also noted that you refuse to answer reasonable questions where the answer contradicts your own decision!

An Interesting fact that many mariners believe brings bad luck.....

At the launch of Concordia at Sestri Ponente on 2 September 2005 the champagne bottle, released by model Eva Herzigová, failed to break, an inauspicious omen in maritime superstition.

Edited by sidari

"They reach their conclusions based upon their every day experiences and daily knowledge of human nature not some theoretical class room instruction of the law"

Uni .... Well i would never have guessed .... :p It is also noted that you refuse to answer reasonable questions where the answer contradicts your own decision!

I refuse to debate and issue of expertise (not an issue of opinion or even fact) with some one who has no knowledge of the area of expertise.

As a note of interest, some cruise lines (NCL for example) have instituted a zero tolerance for alcholic intake for ship's officers during their entire 4 month contract.

I think that's a good idea. Basically, the captain is always on duty and should always be at his best to handle any unusual situations.

"I refuse to debate and issue of expertise (not an issue of opinion or even fact) with some one who has no knowledge of the area of expertise"

Uni .... you are such a sad man! I worked with a Crew of 18 people and during that time there was one guy who believed he was right All of the time on Everything while the rest were Always wrong ... guess he must be related you yourself!

"I refuse to debate and issue of expertise (not an issue of opinion or even fact) with some one who has no knowledge of the area of expertise"

Uni .... you are such a sad man! I worked with a Crew of 18 people and during that time there was one guy who believed he was right All of the time on Everything while the rest were Always wrong ... guess he must be related you yourself!

Ah, simmer down there lad. You're letting your subconcious British Empire mind set cloud your judgement.... That's probably the thing that prompts you to voice an opinion in an area where you have no experience or first hand knowledge, the law and litigation. :D

Edited by Uniall

Hi all,

Just a quick note to let you know we finally received compensation payments last week. Travel Insurance are now settling our claim as well which I suspect will mean they will tell us that the compensation covered all of our luggage and they will not give us anything :(.

And today we booked another cruise for October next year, unfortunately with another Carnival Line RCL as it was the only one that fitted what we wanted to do. We will not let Schettino ruin our love of cruising :-)

Any advice re sailing with RCL appreciated :-) will be reviewing there forums as we have only sailed Costa and Princess

"Ah, simmer down there lad. You're letting your subconcious British Empire mind set cloud your judgement.... That's probably the thing that prompts you to voice an opinion in an area where you have no experience or first hand knowledge, the law and litigation"

And that coming from a Pretend Irishman! .... :eek:

So by your idea you are not allowed to voice an Opinion on most things then ? because you know little about lets say Firefighting or Fire Safety or Fire Safety Training or Fire Protection of buildings and their Installations no one can voice an Opinion on it!!

Michelle ... Good to hear you are finally getting somewhere and that you will be taking a New cruise, you will enjoy RCI, have you decided on a ship as yet ?

Really they arent YAYYYY you just made my cruise even better

Michelle, glad things are getting settled with Costa. You need to get that nightmare behind you.

I cruised many times on RCL. It's a good line.

I've also been on Princess several times and enjoyed my cruises with them.

As a comparison, I would say Prin and RCL are similar in cost. Also where Prin is more of an old world feel with darker wood throughout, RCL is bright and light.

I believe you will enjoy your experience with them. Which ship will you be on?

Hi all,

Just a quick note to let you know we finally received compensation payments last week. Travel Insurance are now settling our claim as well which I suspect will mean they will tell us that the compensation covered all of our luggage and they will not give us anything :(.

And today we booked another cruise for October next year, unfortunately with another Carnival Line RCL as it was the only one that fitted what we wanted to do. We will not let Schettino ruin our love of cruising :-)

Any advice re sailing with RCL appreciated :-) will be reviewing there forums as we have only sailed Costa and Princess

Hi Michelle -

Glad things are getting back to normal for you. You will love Royal -- I sailed on one of their older ships and was enthralled -- any ship you are taking from that line will be just "royal"!

On another note, Francesco Schettino's lawyer, Bruno Leporatti, has just called it quits and is no longer defending Schettino. No idea why Leporatti pulled the plug. Italian press reports are sketchy. :eek:

http://corrierefiorentino.corriere.it/firenze/notizie/cronaca/2012/11-dicembre-2012/leporatti-lascia-schettinol-avvocato-rinuncia-difesa-2113113283809.shtml

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/12/11/news/schettino_lasciato_dall_avvocato_leporatti_non_lo_difende_pi-48516852/?ref=search

CT, that is interesting.

I allow that I don't know much about trial lawyers and such but I do know that at times disagreements arise as to how to proceed with a case, especially high profile cases. This usually results in one (or more) lawyers leaving. We may or may not ever learn the reason behind it.

Just wondering if it has been reported if they are doing the underwater platform anchors and/or have the platforms started to be set?.. Somebeach is of course qiute right, we cannot see anything!

AKK

PS Just spend a 7 day eastern on the Disney Fantasy............wonderful cruise and amazing vessel and crew!

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

This is the latest news from the Giglio website.

E 'urgent program of work on time for the last phase of the removal of the Costa Concordia island of Giglio and the disposal or recovery of hull in a suitable place. The Environment Minister Corrado Clini says in a letter to the CEOs of Costa Crociere Pierluigi Foschi and Michael Thamm, the head of the Department of Civil Protection Franco Gabrielli and the President of the Region of Tuscany Enrico Rossi. "As I have noted the prefect Franco Gabrielli - writes the minister - delays compared to the time schedule established for removal have been and remain a source of concern, despite the valuable work and timely Observatory established by the Civil Defence to ensure consistent monitoring and addresses of all operations . The main concern is that relating to the conditions of the hull and the security measures necessary to ensure that the removal and hospitalization occur in a safe condition without creating additional risks and emergencies. " Minister then points out that the work program should indicate how to remove and the "admission" of the hull at the nearest port. And, if it remains orientation already emerged, confirms the commitment of the Ministry of Environment to rapidly implement the measures of competence necessary to equip the port of Piombino. Finally, the minister Clini calls on the Tuscany Region to prepare, in collaboration with the competent authorities, an outline of the actions needed to "ensure the services to support activities that the Company Costa Cruises."

Hi Somebeach,

Thats for the update.

I dont think the question of where the wreck is towed to can be answered until they get her uprighted and a better inspection of the hull is made.

I think its very importent it is towed to the best port eqiuped to handle it. Whether that port already has the proper support or it so equiped.

The hull stablitiy with the cashions will be a big part of this decision. If the stablity show the hull able to be towed right to the wreckers, it maybe better to do that, even if the port is far away.

AKK