Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

[quote name='Mike.Minh']Why would they scape KitKat into the algae covered areas? Visible in faint blue above the worker. And why scrape anything off now?

[IMG]http://images.scribblelive.com/2013/9/16/10dc6730-6033-4982-bbaf-1a11d1869807_500.jpg[/IMG][/quote]
'KitKat' was mentioned in the weekly report Gantt charts, but I never learned what the name was referring to. It could be that a diver has scraped certain undesirable wording in the algae which would not make good reading live on Reuters all over the world, hence the man & his brush?!!

Been keeping my now very square eyes on the bottom corner of the rear sponson P13, which appears to have been 'kissing' the water surface for quite some time now. Do we think CC is still rotating, or are they having a break (or do my eyes need a break)? Edited by CTH

[quote name='SomeBeach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]My thoughts were that they are checking everything to make sure all cables are working properly before they take the ship to the next degree. Isn't the 20% lift point where the sponsons will start filling?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I guess what I am most disappointed about is that the 2 missing weren't found. After 20 months in the water I imagine it would be difficult... Some months ago many people on the sister thread said that after a year in the water, the chances of finding them would not be possible.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]For the families sakes, I hope they do find them.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I do wonder if a certain Captain is watching this today.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

There may still be places in the hull they have not been able to get to. Also, I doubt they will let divers search the area that was under the ship until the parbuckling is complete. They still might find skeletal remains.

[quote name='CTH']'KitKat' was mentioned in the weekly report Gantt charts, but I never learned what the name was referring to. It could be that a diver has scraped certain undesirable wording in the algae which would not make good reading live on Reuters all over the world, hence the man & his brush?!!

Been keeping my now very square eyes on the bottom corner of the rear sponson P13, which appears to have been 'kissing' the water surface for quite some time now. Do we think CC is still rotating, or are they having a break (or do my eyes need a break)?[/quote]

Since the ship is not floating, wouldn't the tides influence what you see?

Hi... I would just like to thank all of you who have kept this thread going with interesting infomation, speculation and yes, a few disagreements!;) I have been following this horrific event and these threads on CC since it all happened. I'm just someone who loves cruising and this event really touched me (as I'm sure it did others). I thank you all very much for providing the great webcam sites so I can finally watch this hopefully, come to an end at Giglio. I'm watching in AWE as it is very apparent, the ship is responding to very elaborate plan to get her upright!! This is simply amazing to me and again, Thank You all for the info over the past few years!!:)

I too have been reading this thread with interest whilst glued to the BBC live coverage. [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/news/world-europe-24104741[/url]

Thank you all for the interesting and informative posts. I find this whole salvage operation fascinating.

Mumsy.

[quote name='Zippercat']Since the ship is not floating, wouldn't the tides influence what you see?[/QUOTE]

I understand there is only some 30 cm tidal difference at Giglio? Couldn't quickly find any proper source to confirm, though. But if true it will be difficult to see such a small difference on the slowly moving CC. Edited by Mike.Minh

[quote name='Mike.Minh']I understand there is only some 30 cm tidal difference at Giglio? Couldn't quickly find any proper source to confirm, though. But if true it will be difficult to see such a small difference on the slowly moving CC.[/quote]

That seems to be the maximum at Livorno:

[URL]http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/easytide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=1852&PredictionLength=7[/URL]

[quote name='SomeBeach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]My thoughts were that they are checking everything to make sure all cables are working properly before they take the ship to the next degree. Isn't the 20% lift point where the sponsons will start filling?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I guess what I am most disappointed about is that the 2 missing weren't found. After 20 months in the water I imagine it would be difficult... Some months ago many people on the sister thread said that after a year in the water, the chances of finding them would not be possible.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]For the families sakes, I hope they do find them.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I do wonder if a certain Captain is watching this today.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing myself about him, but really did not want to ask. Touchy subject for some as well as to be expected. I hope you are feeling better. I have been on pain meds , but I only take a half. I have fallen asleep as well.

[quote name='USNUZULOOSE']I was wondering the same thing myself about him, but really did not want to ask. Touchy subject for some as well as to be expected. I hope you are feeling better. I have been on pain meds , but I only take a half. I have fallen asleep as well.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]USNU, I didn't ask to bring up a discussion about him but I do believe we have all wondered. ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The news conference was interesting tho difficult to hear. I believe I got enough to understand a problem was corrected and work is progressing again.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I did like the fella that stood up and told the journalists to focus on the important parts of this project and not the inconsequential matters such as timing. The project will be completed when it is completed. In a project such as this, it is better to be safe, to feel secure that all systems are working properly for a successful completion than to hurry to meet some timetable.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='SomeBeach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]USNU, I didn't ask to bring up a discussion about him but I do believe we have all wondered. ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The news conference was interesting tho difficult to hear. I believe I got enough to understand a problem was corrected and work is progressing again.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I did like the fella that stood up and told the journalists to focus on the important parts of this project and not the inconsequential matters such as timing. The project will be completed when it is completed. In a project such as this, it is better to be safe, to feel secure that all systems are working properly for a successful completion than to hurry to meet some timetable.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Media need something to write about. I'm just glad that the engineers are confident so far with the progress with the strand jacks phase.

Almost forgot and meant to post earlier, for those wanting to see the live feed in full screen, just click on the icon with the four arrows pointing outward on the bottom right of the feed and it will go to full screen mode. Move your mouse to the bottom of the screen to bring the tool bar back up and click the icon again to take it back down.

I may never criticise the British press again.
Unbelievable they went at the top table at the press conference until a Giglio Islander got the mike and ask them if they had never had a problem in their job.Good for him.
However it looks like a long night ,they are not expecting to finish before midnight but definitely before dawn (their words) now wheres that coffee.

For those of you who are having difficulty hearing the translator over the voices of the people answering the questions at these news conferences....if you go to your control panel on your computer and then click on "Sound".....then under the "playback" tab click on "Speakers/Headphones".....then click the "levels" tab......then click "Balance".....then drag "L" to the left to turn that down lower (that's the voices of the people answering questions).....and drag "R" to the right (that's the woman translating to English). Hope this helps.

May I add my thanks too, to all the experts and everyone else who have kept this very interesting and informative thread going for so long.

We have waited so long for the operation to begin and it is absolutely fascinating. I fear I shall still be glued to the live feed (if it continues) through the hours of darkness, even if I can only spot the odd twinkling light!

My thoughts go out to all the survivors and families of those who died, who will today be reliving those terrible moments.

[quote name='SomeBeach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]USNU, I didn't ask to bring up a discussion about him but I do believe we have all wondered. ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I did like the fella that stood up and told the journalists to focus on the important parts of this project and not the inconsequential matters such as timing. The project will be completed when it is completed. In a project such as this, it is better to be safe, to feel secure that all systems are working properly for a successful completion than to hurry to meet some timetable.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I agree, I would rather know they were safe in the operations than focus on how long this will take. The job will get done, when it is done. I feel privileged just to watch this.:)

[quote name='luisrp']In the live view close to the bow the ship looks tilted at 45° right now. That means it is at or near the tipping point where gravity will take over.[/quote]
Should that not speed the process up a bit. Once the axis point is reached the weight should transfer.
Or am I thinking too much.....

[quote name='MorganMars']Almost forgot and meant to post earlier, for those wanting to see the live feed in full screen, just click on the icon with the four arrows pointing outward on the bottom right of the feed and it will go to full screen mode. Move your mouse to the bottom of the screen to bring the tool bar back up and click the icon again to take it back down.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Thanks Morgan. I thought that's what they were for but I hate to touch anything when I'm not sure. When I screw up my puter I have to call my personal IT guy (that would be my son) to fix it. :D It's not that he minds doing it, it's the *roll eyes* look when he see how I goof things up that I can't stand. :p[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Clive, good luck to you and others across the pond as you try to stay awake. ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]This is what the Parbucking site had to say about the cables.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]7.00 P.M.[/B]:The Titan Micoperi consortium announced that strandjack operations were temporarily suspended for an hour for maintenance work. It was in fact necessary to intervene with a dedicated team to avoid slack cables from interfering with the tensioned cables. The ‘Fast Response’ team is comprised of 8 people ready to intervene for checking purposes or in the event of anomalies. As foreseen by the operating and site procedures, access onboard was via a specifically positioned ladder, and safety checks were carried out. The team who intervened are all qualified to work on the wreck, are equipped with climbing gear and protective devices as necessary. Parbuckling operations have now resumed.