Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Good morning Cheng

Sorry about the error. Ok so click onto the Disney link. At the end of the parbuckle video you have a multi choice screen, click on the top left hand choice and at 5min 50 secs shows the starboard stern.

Actually I doubt it is any better than the stills Some Beach posted.

This morning was a stunning dawn on the port overview camera. The pontoon shows very clearly ,heading from right to left. Interestingly looking at the wake it had made it seems to have spent the night actually inside the port walls. just wish now I had checked the port camera, couldn't have been much room in there

Clive, if you mean the Giglio port I don't think so. At least I didn't see it there.

Cruising around the webcam site now I did find this. Not sure how long the caissons will still be in view.

CTH, I think this is where you described in your last post.

http://www.giglionews.it/2011/05/20/webcam-spiaggia-arenella-isola-del-giglio/

Edited by SomeBeach

CTH, I think this is where you described in your last post.

http://www.giglionews.it/2011/05/20/webcam-spiaggia-arenella-isola-del-giglio/

Morning SB,

Actually had it in view on both the Porto Panoramica & the Spiaggia cams about 10 mins ago (8.50ish UK).

Think the tug maybe slowly manoeuvring sideways across towards CC now, could be wrong though!

I suspect the tugboat Captain is infact multi-tasking, & has been reading this board/blog over the last day or so, & has consequently been purposefully dodging in & out of camera view whilst having a good laugh at us!!.....

Edited by CTH

Good morning Cheng

Sorry about the error. Ok so click onto the Disney link. At the end of the parbuckle video you have a multi choice screen, click on the top left hand choice and at 5min 50 secs shows the starboard stern.

Actually I doubt it is any better than the stills Some Beach posted.

This morning was a stunning dawn on the port overview camera. The pontoon shows very clearly ,heading from right to left. Interestingly looking at the wake it had made it seems to have spent the night actually inside the port walls. just wish now I had checked the port camera, couldn't have been much room in there

Thanks, Clive. While the after damaged area does not show much actual insetting of the ship's side (the line of balcony doors is fairly straight), like the forward section (the doors rise significantly towards the middle of the damage), its my belief that this is due to the weight distribution in this area being significantly different than at the forward zone. Back here, you have the engine rooms, with all the weight of machinery, so there may be much more significant damage, and more localized, down below the current waterline. Forward, there is much less steel weight (no engines), so once everything filled with water, the ship tended to apply weight evenly on the rock, and this resulted, along with increased wave action up high, in more visible damage.

Hopefully, some day pictures or video of the total hull damage will be made, before they tear her apart. That would be interesting.

All true and required' date=' but we both know Chief that after the office is on the line a lot more do this or do that happens!

Seems the investigators are looking into what transpired during the calls.

AKK[/quote']

For sure. But just like with Schettino's bogus attempts to divert blame on a blackout, at least one side of the conversation should have been caught on the VDR.

Cheng ... Where the Balcony floors are pulled upwards is that not likely to be due to the weight of the ship being pulled downwards rather than settling on the rocks or more like a combination of the two ? seeing as the steel used for them is lighter and thinner in guage.

The steel arms that underpin and support the Balcony floor have obviously been pulled upwards as well as there is no support given by them in the upward direction.

Cheng ... Where the Balcony floors are pulled upwards is that not likely to be due to the weight of the ship being pulled downwards rather than settling on the rocks or more like a combination of the two ? seeing as the steel used for them is lighter and thinner in guage.

The steel arms that underpin and support the Balcony floor have obviously been pulled upwards as well as there is no support given by them in the upward direction.

Sure, gravity is going to pull the hull downwards, causing the deflection upwards (and I'm not talking about the balconies themselves, but the bulkhead of the cabin). But aft, the "box" of the hull was not distorted, meaning that less weight was acting on those cabins then the forward ones. When the "box" is distorted, the metal has to move somewhere, so it goes in (from the weight pressing on it) and up (from gravity dragging down on the hull). Take my box analogy further. A cardboard box is resting with one edge on the ground, and one side on a rock. Fill the box with an evenly distributed load up the side leaning on the rock, and you will get a high point load where the box touches the rock, and possible distortion. Now, if you take the same amount of weight, and distribute it all at the bottom edge, where most of it rests on the ground, the weight on the rock will be less, and less chance of distortion, but maybe the bottom edge will deform.

The balcony floors were folded upwards as the ship rolled over.

not sure what's up here exactly.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com./article/67/Costa_Crociere_&_Titan_Micoperi_note

"With reference to the statements appeared on newswires in Italy, Costa Crociere and Titan Micoperi would to clarify that a request for the installation of the one and only sponson S12 was withdrawn yesterday and that, at the same time, a confirmation of the request for authorization of the installation of the total of 18 sponsons still to be positioned (including S12), was sent to the Observatory.

Costa Crociere and Titan Micoperi are working to provide some further documents regarding environmental aspects related to transportation options different from traditional towing, as requested by the Observatory.

Costa Crociere and Titan Micoperi hope that the issues that have been raised with regards to the prosecution of sponson installation operations will be quickly solved, and confirm their commitment to removing the Concordia wreck as soon as possible, in full cooperation with competent authorities."

Definitely one for our KO's (Knowledgeable Ones)

Seems strange to want to not put S12 on after spending a lot of money making it. Could they have found a serious problem with the hull that they are not sure it can withstand the weight of S12 .

I only ask the question I have no idea really.

Good spot anyway Lightman, I have been looking at the tweets not on the page proper.

not sure what's up here exactly.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com./article/67/Costa_Crociere_&_Titan_Micoperi_note

"With reference to the statements appeared on newswires in Italy, Costa Crociere and Titan Micoperi would to clarify that a request for the installation of the one and only sponson S12 was withdrawn yesterday and that, at the same time, a confirmation of the request for authorization of the installation of the total of 18 sponsons still to be positioned (including S12), was sent to the Observatory.

Costa Crociere and Titan Micoperi are working to provide some further documents regarding environmental aspects related to transportation options different from traditional towing, as requested by the Observatory.

Costa Crociere and Titan Micoperi hope that the issues that have been raised with regards to the prosecution of sponson installation operations will be quickly solved, and confirm their commitment to removing the Concordia wreck as soon as possible, in full cooperation with competent authorities."

"Ting!" Lightman turns the light bulb on. The permit to work has apparently been pulled. Not sure what they're talking about with the different options from towing. Not sure why any of that makes sense, but it is after all Italy. Maybe the salvors want to try bringing the caissons by floating them singly or in a group, rather than having to raise them on a barge. I know the money spigot is about to be turned off from insurance, so Costa may be balking at the further price tag.

But what about S12 Cheng that seems odd as its there, on a pontoon. and apparantley ready to install.

Yes, but apparently the salvors or Costa have done something that has ticked off (browned off for you?) the local government, so the permit to salvage the wreck has been at least temporarily suspended. So, no work can be done until the permit is restored. At least that's my take from the translation. Titan is working overtime to smooth ruffled feathers and get work started again. Actually pretty surprised its taken this long for something like this to surface, its pretty common in salvage work.

I hate to stereotype, but it could be as simple as "my cousin Luigi runs the tug boats, or rents the barges" and you are trying to cut him out of the pie. Happens all the time, everywhere.

Edited by chengkp75

Now things start to make some sense. The "towing" they are talking about is the towing of the CC, not the caissons. Since they never planned on closing the tear in the portside completely, there will be some drainage from the wreck regardless of which method is used, but yes, with the Vanguard "dry tow" method, they would want to pump out all water for stability. Most of this could be drawn off to tankers, and it may require some more imaginative engineering to get down and close the breach (use foam maybe from inside?). Looks to be just a d*** measuring contest for the local ports. Apparently, from the wording of the parbuckling project note, each caisson may need individual approval to be placed on the wreck.

This could take some time. They will probably petition quickly to get those two caissons installed, as they could be "environmental disasters" if a storm comes up and swamps the barge.

Edited by chengkp75

So this could be fun.

Who will be paying the 400+ people working on CC? The cost of Conquest and Buccaner as well as all the tugs on long term charter wont be cheap.

We have European Elections coming up on 22nd May I wonder if there is also a bit of politicking going on.

Be fun if the morning sees a whole flotilla of salvage crafts heading off in the distance.

And what about the tug that has spent 2 days sailing up and down it cant do that indefinitely.

So this could be fun.

Be fun if the morning sees a whole flotilla of salvage crafts heading off in the distance.

And what about the tug that has spent 2 days sailing up and down it cant do that indefinitely.

The tugboat Captain hasn't given up yet, he's cruising across the Porto Panoramica cam as I type.

He'll either run out of fuel, or fall over due to exhaustion, or more likely due to dizziness after doing a 'figure of eight' for 2 days non-stop!......

What a waste of fuel, I assume the barge is either too awkward to moor up/drop anchor, or are permissions required beforehand? Anyone more knowledgeable on this?

Looks like the cassions are being tucked away for the night. Last look had it heading towards the island.

Cheng, my lack of knowledge will show with this question.

It's apparent now that the barge is taken in close to land or into port at night. Are there port charges involved? If so, is that why the barge floats around during the day?

CTH, looks like we both are wondering the about same thing.

Edited by SomeBeach

Looks like the cassions are being tucked away for the night. Last look had it heading towards the island.

Cheng, my lack of knowledge will show with this question.

It's apparent now that the barge is taken in close to land or into port at night. Are there port charges involved? If so, is that why the barge floats around during the day?

CTH, looks like we both are wondering the about same thing.

That tug could probably fart around out there for a week or more without needing to fuel. Most likely, he is steaming in one direction, and drifting back the other way. Yes, there are port charges, by the hour and the foot of berth length (sometimes by tonnage). There is probably no dock space during the day, with the ferries coming and going all day, but at night they can probably find room for the barge. They may also have been thinking wishfully, and wanted the barge on a "hot standby" in case they got the go ahead. I think this will require a court order, so it may be some time. Yes, everyone continues to get paid, the boats are on time charter, so the insurer (or Costa when that runs out) has to pay for the government's screwing around.

Edited by chengkp75