Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

In other news, Giglio Mayor Sergio Ortelli imposes a new "landing fee" on ferries bringing in day tourists. He's charging a tax for 1 Euro per passenger. Doesn't sound like a lot but judging from all the day trippers Giglio has been getting lately , could be a nice lining to the municipal coffers.

http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubblica/archivio/repubblica/2012/08/15/al-giglio-ferragosto-con-relitto-la-concordia.html?ref=search

On a different note, Italian news report that a badly decomposed body has been found on the south end of Giglio. Appears to be a man in a motorcycle suit and unrelated to the Concordia incident. They think the currents brought him there. "Cosa Nostra"? :eek:

If the Giglio city fathers had some old style entrepreneurial acumen, they'd wait till the salvagers complete the removal of the Concordia and replace it with a styrofoam replica. Then they could build a museum/ferry pier to take paying tourists out to the "wreck". They could build a transportable duplicate museum and partial section of the wreck to send around the world for visits, manned by Gilgio tourist agents.........:p

Edited by Uniall

If the Giglio city fathers had some old style entrepreneurial acumen, they'd wait till the salvagers complete the removal of the Concordia and replace it with a styrofoam replica. Then they could build a museum/ferry pier to take paying tourists out to the "wreck". They could build a transportable duplicate museum and partial section of the wreck to send around the world for visits, manned by Gilgio tourist agents.........:p

Sounds like a lucrative venture...but remember the Italians are highly superstitious people and don't like the idea of "ghosts" lurking there.

There are plently of Schettino replicas so who knows -- here's a Schettino costume a couple dressed their baby as for a carnival:

812ae6ec533755d250a7e0374e3521181.jpg

"Now, let's say Schettino DID fall or jump onto the lifeboat to avoid being crushed. Ok. I get that ....

Schettino made it in with dry clothes and a cell phone in his pocket.

Stella ... Somehow that seems at odds with the recent claim that Schettino was sat on the rock close to the ship and staring at it because he did not know what to do! and it makes no sense that he had dry clothes on when he reached the port! unless he managed to jump from the lifeboat onto the rock of course and back into a rescue craft from the rock.

Sounds like a lucrative venture...but remember the Italians are highly superstitious people and don't like the idea of "ghosts" lurking there.

There are plently of Schettino replicas so who knows -- here's a Schettino costume a couple dressed their baby as for a carnival:

812ae6ec533755d250a7e0374e3521181.jpg

Do you think I should ask my wife, if I can hire Dominica for Halloween?? :eek::p

Edited by Uniall

Notice that the Micopiri has pulled back a little.

Do we think its just a reposition or are they expecting choppy conditions??

Checked the weather for Giglio. Winds S at 6mph tonight, increasing to 10-11 tomorrow. Partly sunny and no rain in the forecast for the next few days.

Course like anywhere else, this is a forecast and we know how that works. ;):p

[quote name=stella_mare;

Now' date=' let's say Schettino DID fall or jump onto the lifeboat to avoid being crushed. Ok. I get that. I would, perhaps, also allow that he felt it necessary to ferry the 150 passengers on the lifeboat quickly to safety on land. So why didin't he take the lifeboat back to the SHIP and get back on board? And wait, WERE there any other passengers on his lifeboat? Why have we not heard from a-one?

.[/quote]

Stella, I'm sure is 1 or 2 logical explanations as to why we have not heard from even one person who was on the lifeboat with Schettino.

1- He and maybe a few other officers got on a lifeboat and booked it and the other officers are not speaking yet on advice of their attorneys.

2- He covered his head and uniform with a blanket or something so no passengers would know the one responsible for the disaster was just trying to save himself and was not interested in helping the passengers.

I'm sure Sid and Smurf will offer some other possibilities as to why no passengers have come forward and said Schettino was on their lifeboat.

Come to think of it, I have not heard one redeeming word for Schettino from any passengers or crew; well, yea, Domenica said he looked like a poor broken man, I guess that was a compliment.

Passengers did report seeing Schettino on a lifeboat long before all the passengers were off the ship.

A French couple who boarded the Concordia in Marseille, Ophelie Gondelle and David Du Pays, told the Associated Press they saw the captain in a lifeboat, covered by a blanket, well before all the passengers were off the ship.

“The commander left before and was on the dock before everyone was off,” said Gondelle, 28, a French military officer.

“Normally the commander should only leave at the end,” said Du Pays, a police officer who said he helped an injured passenger to a rescue boat. “I did what I could.”

Coast Guard officers later spotted Schettino on land as the evacuation unfolded.

The officers urged him to return to his ship and honor his duty to stay aboard until everyone was safely off the vessel, but he ignored them, Coast Guard Cmdr. Francesco Paolillo said.

Schettino insisted he didn’t leave the liner early, telling Mediaset television that he had done everything he could to save lives.

“We were the last ones to leave the ship,” he said.

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2012/jan/16/ship-captain-detained/

To get back on topic and away from the cartoonish stuff:

Here are a couple of links to articles that were published shortly after the accident that may have been overlooked, or even, disregarded.

http://gcaptain.com/costa-concordia-3-fatal-flaws-that-led-to-disaster/

http://gcaptain.com/in-defense-of-captain-schettino-the-lives-he-did-save/?37994

Regards,

MorganMars

Morgan ... Only had a quick read before work but it seems that this guy is saying most of what myself and CS have been saying for a long time! as a clearly distinguished Captain making the statements it will be interesting later when i get home to read the comments of others.

Here are a couple of links to articles that were published shortly after the accident that may have been overlooked, or even, disregarded.

http://gcaptain.com/in-defense-of-captain-schettino-the-lives-he-did-save/?37994

Regards,

MorganMars

Morning !

Sorry those articles were written a few days after the wreck........and do not take into account all the information since.

AKK

Regards,

MorganMars

I take issue with your implicit position that such cartoons are off topic.

The widely divergent viewpoints expressed on this thread, allow for all literary forms to be used in the debate and discussions of those ideas.

The various literary forms include humor, satire, ridicule, irony, sarcasm, and the like.

Beyond,

Regards,

MorganMars

Morgan ... Only had a quick read before work but it seems that this guy is saying most of what myself and CS have been saying for a long time! as a clearly distinguished Captain making the statements it will be interesting later when i get home to read the comments of others.

Sadly Morgan & Sidari, there are some on this thread who would rather stick with the more salacious, sensationalised and frequently misreported side of this tragedy.

They are the voyeurs of this world, wanting to get a front row seat in the chance of seeing blood being spilt...the sort of people who take great pride in standing at a car crash, taking photo's rather than actually offer anything remotely constructive to the situation.

Making up cartoons...depicts them to be sick minded individuals....as only those sick in the mind would even attempt to make fun of a tragedy like this. It really quite pathetic behaviour but sadly common when accidents happen....only last week here in the UK, a police force were so disgusted by motorists driving by an accident where a driver was fighting for her life taking photo's of her plight that they aimed their on board cameras in their patrol cars onto those drivers and photographed them, and they will be receiving court notices in the post.

It's like those wanting to watch the removal of the wreck...its disgusting, it's voyeuristic...like vultures waiting for a body or body part to fall out of the wreckage...without so much as a thought to those directly affected by what happened...they do not care, all they want (as per the media) is that perfect view, that perfect photo or someone's grief....it's plain sick...

Regards,

MorganMars

I thought the name sounded familiar. This is the same fella that narrated the video of the final route of Concordia.

Sometime in the last week or 2 I posted that I wanted to know who was doing what on the Bridge from the start of this. Konrad wants to go further back then that; he wants to know about their training prior to being given their assigned positions. I expect during the trial that information will come out.

I also think the ship design will come into play as part of the defense of the Captain.

Moving on to Tonka's point, this was writen within a week of the accident and more information has come out since then. We only know what we read which probably can be separated into facts and hearsay. It will be the job of the court to clear up the information we know now into the truth.

SB .... Have to agree with what you say.

CS ... I cannot say i share your view regarding people wanting to see the Concordia salvaged, it is no different than waiting for a tv company to make a programme on any given disaster in order to see how the work was carried out. The fact that Giglio has webcams like many other areas just means that people are able to watch rather than wait for the tv programme to be made.

With regard to the other item you mention that of sick people taking photos while driving past another badly injured motorist in the process of being rescued by the Firefighters and Paramedics, those people should be hit with a driving ban for driving without due care and attention to the road just as they would be for using a Mobile/Cell phone.

Edited by sidari

It's like those wanting to watch the removal of the wreck...its disgusting, it's voyeuristic...like vultures waiting for a body or body part to fall out of the wreckage...

I am interested in the proccess of the lifting and recovery of the ship. Why anyone would think that this interest is in any way disgusting is beyond me.

David.

I am interested in the proccess of the lifting and recovery of the ship. Why anyone would think that this interest is in any way disgusting is beyond me.

David.

Don't worry about that posters comment. She makes a judgement type statement but if you check her record on CC, she's mighty invested in talking about it. Look at her numbers, 156 of her total 158 posts have been here with the other 2 being on another Concordia thread. :D

Heck, I've been here since the start and on this thread I have only 139. :p

I too am interested in how this ship will be removed and I will continue to follow the progress.

David.

I am also interested in how the removal is done, as I worked in the marine industry for 35 years. So where is the problem?

Regards.

Maybe someone should start a thread that just covers the salvage operations. Now that the web cam has been removed, it is hard to follow what is happening. It is difficult to find posts about the salvage operations within all of the posts expressing opinions about what did/did not happen and who is responsible. As if anything said here really matters. :eek:

Maybe someone should start a thread that just covers the salvage operations. Now that the web cam has been removed, it is hard to follow what is happening. It is difficult to find posts about the salvage operations within all of the posts expressing opinions about what did/did not happen and who is responsible. As if anything said here really matters. :eek:

There is one and it is staying pretty much on track.