Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Hi Micki

Just saw your last post and and I couldnt agree more with your comments.

its a pleasure to come to this thread and talk to people in a friendly manner. Lets hope we can all ignore the occasional troll (not heard from them for a couple of weeks) and continue with the great company of regulars who either know a lot of the salvage or, like me, know very little and are learning all the time.

Thank you everyone

Clive, enjoy your time away.

We have a holiday weekend on this side of the pond. Maybe it will be a slow posting time so you won't miss much.

Like you, I also enjoy the posters with knowledge of the salvage. Whilst it's a subject I wish we didn't have to learn, I do find it most interesting.

Good Morning,

I came across a paper that some may find interesting and others may find a bit dry, but here it is.

Costa Concordia: Anatomy of an organisational accident by Capt. Antonio Di Lieto

http://www.enav-international.com/wosmedia/273/costaconcordiaanatomyofanorganisationalaccident.pdf

Regards,

MorganMars

Thanks for the link. I took a quick look at it and will read through it when I can devote time to studying it.

Sid, thanks for a few breakdowns in your last post.

Almost everything has moved away from the Concordia this morning! must be expecting some bad weather ... :o

Sid, I'm in Arizona with a 9 hour time difference to the island. About 7ish a.m. this morning (Italy time) there were some dark clouds and a port view showed some rain had fallen tho not a lot.

What I notice now is that the sea looks calmer than it did a few hours ago.

Illness for a sub Australian vacation on the island of Giglio in the early afternoon yesterday. The man was IMMEDIATELY relief thanks to the presence on the island of a hyperbaric chamber supplied with the Titan Micoperi, a consortium that is working on the removal of the wreck of the Costa Concordia.

The man had made ​​three dives to 37, 45 and 51 meters without decompression and arrived at the pier unconscious.

From a story in GiglioNews about the rescue of the Australian diver on vacation. Here's a picture of the hyperbaric chamber on the pier.

phoca_thumb_l_iperbarica_2.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_iperbarica_1.jpg

Edited by Ken711

After a few days of bad weather that slowed operations for the removal of the Costa Concordia, continued yesterday in the yard of Cala del Lazzaretto island of Giglio stages of laying of cables that will ensure the safety of the wreck of the risk slipping . As you can see from the photos below, the large crane positioned on the operating platform Micoperi 30 has dropped in the sea cable that was passed by divers beneath the ship. One end of the cable, constituted by a hydraulic jack, was fixed to the brackets welded in recent days on the bulkhead on the left of Concord. The other end is attached to one of the four towers that Trevi, piling company in charge of internal, being prepared by drilling between the wreck and the cliffs of Gabbianara. This first and fundamental step restraint must be completed by September 19 while middle of the month will begin operations simultaneously piling outer aimed at laying the underwater platforms intended to constitute the so-called "false bottom" on which the ship should rest in the delicate phase of rotation. Precisely these platforms are currently under construction and expected to arrive on the island towards the end of September. In the coming days and weeks we will keep you updated on the progress of operations.

phoca_thumb_l_micoperi%2030361.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_foto%201.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_foto0019.jpg

Those pictures are great, and thanks Ken. Can somone give us none techies a short summary of what the recovery operation will involve. I can grasp that they are trying to ensure that the ship does not slip into the sea and are using cables to hold her in place, but what is the function of the "false bottom" and how can a crane lift such a mass as this big ship.

Must say I am fascinated by the whole operation, though as with us all so sad at the loss of innocent lives.

David

Those pictures are great, and thanks Ken. Can somone give us none techies a short summary of what the recovery operation will involve. I can grasp that they are trying to ensure that the ship does not slip into the sea and are using cables to hold her in place, but what is the function of the "false bottom" and how can a crane lift such a mass as this big ship.

Must say I am fascinated by the whole operation, though as with us all so sad at the loss of innocent lives.

David

Hi, I found this site informative. If you click on the diagram it will get a bit larger.

I think the cranes are using the false bottom on the sea bed kind of like a pulley. The cranes also have legs that can go down to brace against the sea floor.

I watched a show the other week on how they use this kind of crane ship to install massive wind turbines in places like the North Sea.

http://overheadbin.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/18/11757498-salvage-plan-for-wrecked-costa-concordia-unveiled-in-rome?lite

Edited by KandCsailing

Balf ... The cradle/platform built into the rock under the ship will be there for the ship to sit on when Concordia is in the upright position, this will then enable them to attach the sponsons on the Starboard side of the ship without it sinking. Hope that helps .... :)

New black box recording info reported by La Stampa Newspaper. Here is an excerpt from CC article:

Italy's La Stampa newspaper says it has obtained black box recordings, on which Captain Schettino can be heard asking the officer in command of the ship's engine room: "So are we really going down?" Cruise Critic has been unable to independently verify the information in La Stampa's report.

Then three minutes later, reports La Stampa, Schettino told passengers that the ship had simply suffered a power cut -- despite knowing it had hit a rock and was taking on water.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4977

And from the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2199715/Costa-Concordia-Captain-Francesco-Schettino-told-passengers-just-power-cut-cruise-ship-crash.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

At 11:08 p.m., as a confused evacuation got under way, the Captain called his wife Fabiola.

"Fabi', my career as a captain is over. We hit a reef, the ship is listing but I performed a great maneuver... everything is under control," he is heard saying.

I'd like to know more about the great maneuver. Was it avoiding the rock...? No, he turned too late. Was it using the bow thrusters? I don't think so... once the engine room was flooded and the EG was the only source of power, the bow thrusters were inoperative. People with a dirty mind might think that the great maneuver involved a young blonde - you may very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

We shouldn't jump to conclusions about Captain Coward's guilt. Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty. Besides, these are only newspaper and Cruise Newletter reports about what was on the black box recordings. You can't believe anyhting you read. Oh, and don't forget the recordings could have been tampered with by someone trying to frame the poor Captain. :rolleyes:

Uni, I sure admire your consistency in defending Schettino:D

I wish I could even possibly think of a scenario where this was'nt at least 95% Schettinos fault. I haven't heard any thing about Somalli pirates on board nor have I heard of any mutiny by the crew before the crash , these are the only things I can think of to vindicate him.

We shouldn't jump to conclusions about Captain Coward's guilt. Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty. Besides, these are only newspaper and Cruise Newletter reports about what was on the black box recordings. You can't believe anyhting you read. Oh, and don't forget the recordings could have been tampered with by someone trying to frame the poor Captain. :rolleyes:

Uni, I sure admire your consistency in defending Schettino:D

I wish I could even possibly think of a scenario where this was'nt at least 95% Schettinos fault. I haven't heard any thing about Somalli pirates on board nor have I heard of any mutiny by the crew before the crash , these are the only things I can think of to vindicate him.

:eek:Oops, sorry Uni, when I read what you said, I thought it was Sid.

Max

Get a grip on yourself. I was in a satirical mood today.............;)

John

Edited by Uniall