Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

The ' Observatory on the recovery of the Costa Concordia , meeting in Florence until late last night, gave the green light to the consortium Titan-Micoperi , commissioned by Costa Carnival , for the start of the second tranche of useful work in the garage floating wreck . "Observatory - noted the president Maria Sargentini - identified only need to integrate some documents on the basis of reports produced daily in the operational base of Giglio, but the state of the program of work is satisfactory. The timing records in truth some delays, the first phase it will close in early October for problems encountered during activities and connected to the characteristics of the seabed where the seats have been prepared for micropiles. " While continuing in Fincantieri assembly of boxes that will allow the waterline, and the construction of underwater platforms on which he will build the hull in the process of straightening (all this material will then move to the logistics base of Piombino), teams of workers and subcontractors working on the side of the Concordia to accommodate the jacks and cables to be energized by the four anchor blocks immersed in and planted with dozens of micropiles on the sea side of the earth with respect to the wreck. All work is progressing course, underscores the president Sargentini, under continuous and constant monitoring of water air and land (with particular attention to the disposal of materials and waste resulting from the work), carried out by all control subjects activated by the Conference of Services for recovery and represented Observatory: Tuscany Region, Ministry of Environment and for the Environment, Land and Sea, Department of Civil Protection, Arpat, Grosseto Province, Municipality of Isola del Giglio, Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport, Ispra, the Port of Livorno, Ministry of Health and National Institute of Health.

It's back! Micoperi 30, that is:D

As for the pics above, I have to wonder if they are the anchor straps that are there to secure the ship from slipping further under when the writing process begins. They seem to pass under the ship.

Edited by Cruising Ken

Ken ... you could be right about the cables that can be seen in the pictures, they could along with the metal ribs also be part of the parbuckling system looking at the holes at either end of the metal ribs that will be used to help winch the ship to the upright position.

Ken ... you could be right about the cables that can be seen in the pictures, they could along with the metal ribs also be part of the parbuckling system looking at the holes at either end of the metal ribs that will be used to help winch the ship to the upright position.

That's correct they do go under the ship and are part of the stabilization of the ship.

That's correct they do go under the ship and are part of the stabilization of the ship.

I agree these brackets welded to the hull are anchoring the stablizing cables running under the vessel to the inshore anchors/doplins to keep her from sliding into deeper water.

{Part of the bracket that was articulated will likwly have something to do with cables for straighting her upright/*parbuckling*.

I wonder how that term *parbuckling*came about. Doc are you around?

AKK

Good day everyone.

I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time and this is my first post here. I don't want to be intrusive nor do I wish to offend anyone but I wanted to slide a quickie comment in here for those who visit the Giglio Concordia web cam site or their Facebook page. Very briefly, for anyone who has ever sailed into Halifax, Nova Scotia, I spent 15++ years as a RADAR controller for the Port of Halifax, among other things, guiding your cruise ship in/out of the port 24 hours a day and keeping you separated from all the other ships in the harbour. What I did was basically air traffic control... for ships... and I did the ATC thing for 13 years previously.

To my comment: I just tried to post this quickie comment on the Concordia web cam site but I'm not sure if it will work or not. I thought I'd slide it in here in case anyone doesn't know about this and is interested.

----start of original message---------------------------------

To Giglio News: Hello to everyone from eastern Canada, about 7,000kms west of your beautiful island.

First my congratulations to everyone who has created, maintained and allowed thousands of viewers from around the world the ability to view the salvage of the Costa Concordia. We appreciate this very much. It was indeed a very sad event and we also mourn the loss of so many lives.

My comment here is directed to the many thousands of viewers from around the world who visit this wonderful camera daily. If anyone is interested, I would suggest downloading and installing the Google Chrome browser. It has an almost instant 'translation' feature from Italian to just about any other language without any copy/paste requirement. Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers do not have this instant translation feature. (and I have no connection to Google personally)

------end of original message----------------------------

Thank you and I apologize in advance for the intrusion.

Regards,

Thanks for link to pix SB. Here's what the New Yorker Mag says about it:

The master of brainy mazes goes purely theatrical with a colossal tableau of the gaudy interior of the cruise ship Costa Concordia, which capsized in January. The tipped space—a cadenza of chaos—spills furniture, unused life jackets, decorative bric-a-brac, and what look to be tangles of wires or seaweed in forms variously real, realistic, and handmade ersatz. Uses of the artist’s signature brown packing tape abound, as do his pedagogical manias. A full-sized reproduction of Géricault’s “Raft of the Medusa” occupies a horizontal wall, and pages of Marx’s “Das Kapital” are strewn about. To enjoy Hirschhorn’s enthusiastic riff on a disaster, it may help to ignore the fact that thirty-two people died in it. Through Oct. 27.

Through October 27

GLADSTONE—530 W. 21ST ST.

530 W. 21st St., New York, N.Y.

212-206-7606

gladstonegallery.com

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/arts/events/art/thomas-hirschhorn-gladstone-530-w-21st-st#ixzz276ugug00

Just announced yesterday.

In addition to the other safety measures announced after the Concordia tragedy, such as:

Having more lifejackets aboard ships than are required by law; limiting access to a ship's bridge at potentially dangerous times; requiring cruise ship routes to be planned in advance and shared with all members of the bridge team and requiring emergency drills for all embarking passengers before a ship leaves port.

Here is an additional one re lifeboat drills for crew:

New cruise safety policy targets lifeboat drills

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/20/3012407/new-cruise-safety-policy-targets.html#storylink=cpy

Just announced yesterday.

In addition to the other safety measures announced after the Concordia tragedy, such as:

Here is an additional one re lifeboat drills for crew:

New cruise safety policy targets lifeboat drills

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/20/3012407/new-cruise-safety-policy-targets.html#storylink=cpy

What, no more dancing girls on the bridge ? :eek:

They don't want the officers to have any fun ! :D

What, no more dancing girls on the bridge ? :eek:

They don't want the officers to have any fun ! :D

But Clowns are still allowed .... ;)

Yes Indeed. Sometimes it takes a little clowing around to make sure the real truth sinks in. :eek:

It's a talent that has been used many times by Irish authors to deliver a dose of reality to their British cousins. :D

In written form it's called satire. In oral form, it's called blarney. :p

Sure...Send In The Clowns...The Clowns who were trying to "save" people who didn't have a "clue" what their captain was doing would ultimately cost them their lives.

14lpthv.jpg

"We." Was the ghost in on decisions on how to save the ship? Did the ghost run around trying to save people, assist them in getting to lifeboats? Since she managed to get to a lifeboat, doesn't seem like she took any time to help save those that didn't know how to behave.

This gal just makes me ill.

Good morning everyone.

Sorry, I havent been around for a few days (been in Budapest).

Good to see Micoperi 30 has returned.

Welcome Noah, no reason at all to apologise, this thread has welcomed everyone with constructive comments to make and constructive questions to ask.

I'm going to have some catching up to do so I'd better go and get on with it.

Unfortunately the biggest clown of all was in command of Concordia

And here i was thinking it was Ronnie Raygun .... search me !

It's a talent that has been used many times by Irish authors to deliver a dose of reality to their British cousins

Uni ... never phone and Irishman when the is Ironing!

Edited by sidari

I come here looking for news on the Concorida because the media seem to have gotten bored with the story. Yet all I find is a bunch of posts consisting of people mocking the Captain of the Concordia. I think we've all established that he's not going to be winning any popularity contests any time soon, so why can't people just use this topic for what it's intended for? NEWS!

I come here looking for news on the Concorida because the media seem to have gotten bored with the story. Yet all I find is a bunch of posts consisting of people mocking the Captain of the Concordia. I think we've all established that he's not going to be winning any popularity contests any time soon, so why can't people just use this topic for what it's intended for? NEWS!

When there's no new news, the kids just want to play! Lighten up!:D

JoyceG