Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

FWIW, according to this article titled Costa Concordia - Recovery postponed for a year. Little confidence of success in Oggi Notizie, doesn't look like the May 2013 date will be achieved. I haven't been able to locate more information from other sources yet. Not sure if this is accurate or reliable or if it's just rumor. Stay tuned.

http://www.ogginotizie.it/173786-costa-concordia-recupero-rinviato-di-un-anno-poca-fiducia-su-riuscita/#.UGnc903A-ko

FWIW, according to this article titled Costa Concordia - Recovery postponed for a year. Little confidence of success in Oggi Notizie, doesn't look like the May 2013 date will be achieved. I haven't been able to locate more information from other sources yet. Not sure if this is accurate or reliable or if it's just rumor. Stay tuned.

http://www.ogginotizie.it/173786-costa-concordia-recupero-rinviato-di-un-anno-poca-fiducia-su-riuscita/#.UGnc903A-ko

My thought: I think it is an opinion piece based on the article that was in the German magazine we had a link to a few days back. The writer doesn't seem to believe that the removal will be complete even by the delayed time frame of May 2013.

Another huge chunk of floating equipment arrived today, I grabbed the picture off the webcam but daren't post it here due to the statement on the webcam page:(

I believe it's safe to post the pix as long as you post a link under it.

Thanks Ken. Is it another barge with crane?

Giglio news has finally published the weekly progress reports but my laptop cannot translate it. Has anyone found an English translation please.

Clive , post a link and I'll see what I can do with it.

Hi Micki

theres rather a lot there seems to be 3 weeks progress reports and a little bit more.

http://www.giglionews.it/2012100259073/news/isola-del-giglio/rimozione-concordia-lo-stato-dei-lavori.html

best of luck and thanks

I think that PDF shows the eventual underwater platform that will be built to hold the ship as it's rolled upright. It also shows the anchor columns for the stabilization cables.

Hi Micki

theres rather a lot there seems to be 3 weeks progress reports and a little bit more.

http://www.giglionews.it/2012100259073/news/isola-del-giglio/rimozione-concordia-lo-stato-dei-lavori.html

best of luck and thanks

I went to the latest one, dated end of Sept. In the PDF format there are 32 pages. That is waaaay me. :D

I think we'll just have to look at the pix Ken referenced and use our imaginations. :p Or hope someone will think it's interesting enough to give us a Cliff's Notes version.

Cliff's Notes, in case you aren't familar with that, is a cheater notebook kids have been known to use instead of reading the actual book. Gives the highlights only.

My thought: I think it is an opinion piece based on the article that was in the German magazine we had a link to a few days back. The writer doesn't seem to believe that the removal will be complete even by the delayed time frame of May 2013.

I think you're right -- looks like an op-ed piece. Supposedly, a meeting will be held this Saturday at Giglio with Titan / Mico and the townspeople to update the locals on the recovery effort. Don't know if anything new will be announced.

I think you're right -- looks like an op-ed piece. Supposedly, a meeting will be held this Saturday at Giglio with Titan / Mico and the townspeople to update the locals on the recovery effort. Don't know if anything new will be announced.

This meeting is part of what the people of Giglio requested from Titan a while ago. They felt they weren't being kept in the loop on the recovery. From the looks of things, weekly reports will now be available.

On the other thread a link was provided from Clive on a few reports already issued. I looked into translating the one from last week but it was in a PDF and 32 pages. Didn't get anywhere on that.

I so hope your right Micki about the bodies.

I should have said thank you for trying to sort out a translation of the progress reports. I agree it would be so interesting to get some more facts as to where the operation is up to. Especially with reports that it will take up to 12 months longer than originally.

Clive

Compared to the end of the safety of the Concordia - originally scheduled for August 31, 2012 - the engineers estimated to complete the work by the end of October, barring further unforeseen. This delay compared to crono initial program was due to several factors: adverse weather conditions in recent weeks, the presence of strong irregularities of the surface layers of the granite of the seabed and cracks in the underlying rock, the unexpected amount of rock to level for able to position the bases. Until now, the constants surveys conducted Department of Earth Sciences, University of Florence, however, have not reported any anomalies in the movements of the wreck.

The stabilization project, designed to prevent slipping of the wreck during the winter season, provides for ' installation of a restraint system consists of four bases anchored to the bottom side of the floor (two of which should be completed in the next few days), these are hooked a total of 16 bundles of steel cables, connected to the strengths welded on the emerged part of the wreck, retired with hydraulic jacks.

Hearings Meanwhile, the activities for the completion of the tensioning system that will allow the vertical reorganization of Concord, those for the construction of the false bottom and six underwater platforms on which will rest the wreck, and the production of boxes from which depend on the waterline.

remains, however, the commitment of the Consortium Micoperi-Titan, shared with Costa Cruises, and the Advisory Committee, to pursue all appropriate solution to reduce the time, while maintaining the security of the works, environmental protection and the socio-economic life of the island.

phoca_thumb_l_foto0047.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_foto0050.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_foto0051.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_micoperi941.jpg

Ken, great find on the pix.

We've seen prior pix/video of the seabed under the ship that were showing cracks with Concordia just sitting on the ledge. I could believe with the work going on they are seeing more areas of concern.

Your welcome. From that Giglio News article it appears that the stabilization will be completed in time before winter weather brings rough seas. I imagine it will be a challenge to work around the ship during the winter season.

albero_concordia051012.jpgShe appeared Wednesday island of Giglio but in less than 24 hours has been removed. A green sculpture, monument, dedicated to the 32 victims of the Concordia is made ​​of polystyrene and supported by metal cables. The author, still mysterious, he has called "The Tree of Life." But how did a sculpture of its kind to reach Giglio, evading the security which oversees the wreck? And who is the sculptor? "The Tree of Life" failed to reach the reef that lies just behind the tip Gabbianara, maybe divided into several pieces, stuck at a later time and transported at night by more people. To authorize the removal was the mayor Ortelli, in agreement with the owner of the land where the sculpture was installed.

How'd you find this picture? It'd be nicer if the angle put the Concordia in the back ground. Somebody(s) did a lot of work to have it removed in less than 24hrs.

Thanks for posting this.

Max, my apologies. I should have had the link in my post. Let myself get distracted and forgot to add it. :o

http://www.giglionews.it/2012100559082/news/isola-del-giglio/scultura-misteriosa-davanti-alla-concordia.html#addcomments

Despite the delays announced by the Centre in recent days with regard to the step of anchoring the vessel, are started simultaneously, on the bottom from the outer side of the wreck, the drilling for the installation of pilings that will be the support points of the platforms diving that will be placed later.

phoca_thumb_m_tubi%20per%20piloni%20esterni965.jpg

phoca_thumb_m_tubi%20per%20piloni%20esterni966.jpg

http://www.giglionews.it/2012100859100/news/isola-del-giglio/rimozione-concordia-iniziate-trivellazioni-esterne.html#addcomments

Thanks for this,but I can't follow that that google translation. I found the babylon translation a bit clearer (though I've no idea if it is any more accurate).

"Despite the delays announced by the Observatory in the last few days with regard to the phase of anchoring the ship, they have begun at the same time, on the seabed from the outer side of the wreck, drilling for the installation of pilings that will support points of underwater platforms that will be placed later."