QM2 Food

Little London

We have never cruised with Cunard before, but in June we are crossing Transatlantic and I wondered if they had a 'Chefs Table' or something similar, also do they have on the evening menu 'favourites' that stay on the menu every day like steak or salmon?

Thanks Jane

In short the answer is no. However if you are traveling in the 'Grills' you can request (in advance) a particular food item.

You can ( within reason) make a request in the Britannia restaurant... but don't expect 'premium' cuts of meat or salmon.

Bell Boy:)

Just to add; In the grills they do have an a la' carte page in addition to the daily menu ... so yes they do have certain items that are 'Always available' throughout your voyage

We have never cruised with Cunard before, but in June we are crossing Transatlantic and I wondered if they had a 'Chefs Table' or something similar, also do they have on the evening menu 'favourites' that stay on the menu every day like steak or salmon?

Thanks Jane

There are entrees available every day - even if not explicitly listed on the day's menu. We never needed to avail ourselves of the option.

One of the King's Court sections is the Chefs Gallery - it's a demonstration kitchen with seating for a couple of dozen happy passengers.

May not be written on the menu, but alternatives available every evening are Chicken, Steak, Salmon

Not the prime cuts of course but if nothing else suits you can ask for these without advance notice. For "appetizer alternative" you can ask for Shrimp Cocktail,

As I said not on the menu and waiters do not always advise you that these are available, but do not be put off by this , they are there if you say that is the item that you wish.

"Chef's table" is a new (to me) concept that seems to be creeping into a number of cruiseships - as a kind of addon dining experience over and above the addon specialty/celebrity restaurants.

Even 3 Star Aussie ships have them :)

A0084Medium.jpg

I am not aware of the concept being introduced on any of the Cunard ships (please somebody correct me if I am wrong)

Barry

PARTIAL QUOTE

You can ( within reason) make a request in the Britannia restaurant... but don't expect 'premium' cuts of meat or salmon.

Bell Boy:)

Regarding making a special request in Britannia: Only once did we order off-menu in Britannia. The dining room wasn't terribly busy, so when we found no main course that appealled to us, we asked the waiter if we might have a plain steak and whatever vegetables were available.

Our request was graciously met, and the steak was quite good. (But again, ordering off menu in the main dining room is not a request we would make often, or when the dining room was very busy - just my personal opinion.) Regards, -S

"Chef's table" is a new (to me) concept that seems to be creeping into a number of cruiseships - as a kind of addon dining experience over and above the addon specialty/celebrity restaurants.

Even 3 Star Aussie ships have them :)

<snippage />

I am not aware of the concept being introduced on any of the Cunard ships (please somebody correct me if I am wrong)

Barry

I could not locate any still photos - but the Chefs Gallery is one of the 'virtual tour' stops over on the cunard.com web site

On our QM2 cruise last year one of the people at our table was diabetic, so every night he ordered steak and a jacket potato - no problem at all for our waiter. In fact, he asked the gentleman concerned if he would like to try something else, but he said no, he would have it every evening, and after the first couple of nights he didn't have to order again, it was automatically served to him, and I must say, it looked delicious. :)

Don't know if my experience helps but as I have a food allergy, I was given the next days menu at dinner each evening (in Brittannia) so that I could choose my meal in advance and any "allergy" adjustment required to the dish could be made.

There were a few occasions when I didn't fancy anything that was on the menu and I asked for a dish "off - menu" which was never too much trouble. If I am honest some of my dishes were a lot better than those "On- menu" !

So perhaps a word with the maitre D on the first night would allow you advance sight of the menus each day. That way you would not be putting the waiters or kitchen staff under any pressure.

Bazzaw - a picture of your dining room obviously :D

I am surprised at the discussion on the "always available items" and that they are not listed on the menu. I am not sure if it was all lines we have been on but I remember on most that the left side of the menu in the MDR did show these items and there was never an issue to order them. I am a little underwhelmed by suggestions that the waiters are less than helpful and that the availability of these is not automatic (I read on another QM2 thread about people being told that no other items were available from what was listed on the menu). From memory the alternatives on the ships I have been on were chicken breast, salmon fillet and steak, with a couple of starters and dessert as well - from memory apple pie and creme caramel. I would expect at least the same level of availability on Cunard.

I am surprised at the discussion on the "always available items" and that they are not listed on the menu. I am not sure if it was all lines we have been on but I remember on most that the left side of the menu in the MDR did show these items and there was never an issue to order them. I am a little underwhelmed by suggestions that the waiters are less than helpful and that the availability of these is not automatic (I read on another QM2 thread about people being told that no other items were available from what was listed on the menu). From memory the alternatives on the ships I have been on were chicken breast, salmon fillet and steak, with a couple of starters and dessert as well - from memory apple pie and creme caramel. I would expect at least the same level of availability on Cunard.

Hi Aussieflyer. I guess every passenger has various expectations about their voyage on any particular ship. But sometimes expectation and the reality differs. Just my personal opinion, but the way to go is to ascertain if your particular expections can be met before you book passage.

For some, the food service parmount, while others have different concerns. The trick is to find what suits your needs and expectations before you book any voyage - but you already knew that, right?

Aussie Flyer

No - that dining "room" pic in my last post is where they conduct the "Chef's Table" onboard Pacific Pearl. We haven't attended it - but it comes HIGHLY rated from those who have - even higher than the Salt Grill!!:eek: It is an all inclusive dinner ( Degustation - the "in" thing these days :rolleyes:) - with ample supplies of matching wines for the (I think) seven courses.

I understand where you are coming from regarding the so-called "standard" selections. I have never been on a cruiseship that didn't have them - but I can't recall what was on QM2 ( we were only on her for 6 days ) . I have sometimes , but rarely, used these standard selections. I can always find something suitable form the MDR menu

I warn you against going on a Cunard ship with ANY expectations at all - not that I am implying anything - it is just that expectations can lead to disappointment. I am sure you will find some things on Cunard that are not up the the standard of "lesser" cruiselines or ships - but also things that are "better"

Barry

Awwww Bazzaw, I am so disappointed. I was sure that the picture was your dining room and that you dress for dinner each night - and now you're telling me it is on some ship (and not Cunard!!)

To put things in perspective - I am sure food in the MDR is fine, just seems that Cunard does seem a little behind the "8 ball" in its explicit offerings compared with other lines.

I realise that people travel on Cunard for many different reasons - we are going just for the experience so I am sure we will enjoy it. I think where a lot of the problems occur, as mentioned in a different thread, is that people have unrealistic expectations and have fallen for the advertising hype, imagining something glorious from the 1930s. Again as I have said if we do not find that the ship suits our style we will just put it down to experience and cruise on another line.

Awwww Bazzaw, I am so disappointed. I was sure that the picture was your dining room and that you dress for dinner each night - and now you're telling me it is on some ship (and not Cunard!!)

To put things in perspective - I am sure food in the MDR is fine, just seems that Cunard does seem a little behind the "8 ball" in its explicit offerings compared with other lines.

I realise that people travel on Cunard for many different reasons - we are going just for the experience so I am sure we will enjoy it. I think where a lot of the problems occur, as mentioned in a different thread, is that people have unrealistic expectations and have fallen for the advertising hype, imagining something glorious from the 1930s. Again as I have said if we do not find that the ship suits our style we will just put it down to experience and cruise on another line.

That's a good attitude to have. Before I went on my first Cunard trip I had high expectations as well. Pleasingly they were all met (actually that's not fair to Cunard, as not only were they met, they were exceeded) with the exception of G32. And I don't need to tell you whose fault that was (Vibz).

I'm sure you'll find at least one thing to like onboard the ship.

On our QM2 cruise last year one of the people at our table was diabetic, so every night he ordered steak and a jacket potato - no problem at all for our waiter. In fact, he asked the gentleman concerned if he would like to try something else, but he said no, he would have it every evening, and after the first couple of nights he didn't have to order again, it was automatically served to him, and I must say, it looked delicious. :)

A passenger on our table was diabetic, Every evening after desert the head waiter came with the menu for the next evening so that if there was nothing suitable....there nearly always was, then she could order something else.

Archived