AMA Prague to Budapest excursions??

alexandra cruiser

Must chose between ...

Linz,,,1,,,Gmunden excursion,,,says Lake District and Gmunden city tour

2.Cesky Krumlov tour,,,know its well preserved town,,but is bus ride long,,and hear its very crowded in spring.

Brataslava...1...Communist tour

2. walking tour of town.

Prague...Terezin concentration camp tour...

Anyone have any opinions? :confused:

Since no one else has responded, I will reply with my opinions on what I know. The only one of the excursions you mentioned that we did was the Bratislava city tour. You can see photos and read what we did in our Danube review on our website www.thepreismans.com. The tour was OK, but Bratislave does not have as many sights as the other ports. The main attraction was the metal statues. The communist tour could be interesting, but it wasn't offered on our cruise.

As far as Terezin is concerned, I wouldn't take a minute away from your short stay in Prague; unless you have spent a week there before. Just my opinion, since I have not gone to Terezin. Have a great cruise. There are some amazing ports you will be visiting.

I haven't been to many of the tours you're contemplating. But I would have thought two of them are different enough it would appeal to different people.

YOU would be the person who either have or have no interest in Communism or Holocaust.

We went to Prague and didn't even considered Teresin because we're not interested in visiting sites that are entirely related to the Holocaust. I found the idea of "touring" a location so many set off to their death a bit hard to "enjoy". You will, nonetheless, hear quite a bit about the holocaust in Prague and the rest of your tour on the Danube.

Points mentioned by MVPinBoynton are right on.

Must chose between ...

Linz,,,1,,,Gmunden excursion,,,says Lake District and Gmunden city tour

2.Cesky Krumlov tour,,,know its well preserved town,,but is bus ride long,,and hear its very crowded in spring.

Brataslava...1...Communist tour

2. walking tour of town.

Prague...Terezin concentration camp tour...

Anyone have any opinions? :confused:

We did Avalon Budapest to Prague in November with extra pre and post days in Budapest and Prague. Did not have any port stops in Bratslavia so cannot comment on that, Cesky Krumlov was an option we could have done on our own during our extra days but due to the time of year we were traveling, it was not recommended to us as the castle was closed. We did do Terezin as both both myself and my DH have an interest in WWII history and wanted to see what a concentration camp looked like. It was one of the few really cold, gloomy days we had in Prague but having said that I will say we enjoyed the history and sites...as sad as they were. It was reality facing us. We are not of Jewish heritage but found it quite moving. If we had only minimal time in Prague per the river cruise I may have skipped it, but we had 2 full extra days in Prague once the river cruise was complete as well as 2 days in Prague as part of our cruise/land tour.

Our favorite excursions were the day trip to Salzburg and the evening Concert in Vienna!! :)

We greatly enjoyed Bratislava because our tour guide was fabulous. We had plenty of time to walk around and shop and have a very nice lunch.

Since we had a week in Prague, we did Terezin for the historical perspective and found it interesting but depressing. My wife had nightmares. And, this was the most civilized of the camps as it was the **** showcase for the Red Cross. Little Terezin or Small Fortress was primarily used for political prisoners and transfers and was not an extermination camp but several died mostly from crowding. I could not believe what was done to so many innocents by such animals. If you're not easily shocked, I would go, as I said for the history.

We were not offered the Gmunden tour nor the Cesky Krumlov tour.

Terezin,,,a WW 2 buff,,so guess I ll just steel myself and try to look at historical perspective,,

Brataslava,,still not sure what "communist tour" involves,,guess I ll have to wait to see on boat,,,just vague comments in brochure,,anyone know how to find more details ahead of time for excursions,,can t see anyplace on AMA website???

Have been to Salzburg on land tour,,,agree ,,interesting but not twice..

Now,,Vienna,,been there too,,but much to see..maybe I can convince DH to go to concert IF I go to Terezin?? Life s a tradeoff...

Looked at Cesky Krumlov,,in Rick Steves book,,sounds good if castle tour inc.,,but not sure???So hard to decide,,until you have the details..may have to just wait,,,,hard,,like to plan and research..

Thanks again,,helps to have CC ers chime in...:)

Archived