Security question ~ what will cruise line do about obnoxious neighbors?

gottahaveabeach

Years ago I cruised on the Holiday when a few young men got out off hand in their cabin and by the pool. Drunk and lots of horse play. They even broke some furniture.

The Captain confined them to their room and they were kicked off the ship at our first port of call.

Several years ago we had some unruly neighbors on a cruise and DH called security. Told them that you could hear yelling and things being thrown. A few minutes later they were at their door and we never heard another peep out of them the rest of the cruise. I don't know what happened to them, but they were taken care of from our perspective. Maybe our case was different because you could hear things being thrown.

Waiting for the "it's their vacation, they can do what they want" posts. Followed by the "I learned long ago to not worry about other people and enjoy myself" posts.

You forgot the "a cruise is what you make of it" and "a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work" contingency. :rolleyes:

Look at the post count!

Seasoned cruisers know that a call to security becomes a serious matter for one ore another party at some point or they have never actually called security!

Den

Post count = experience cruising?

Recently cruised on Magic in a cove balcony. Had issues with neighboring cabin. The woman would scream obscenities and accuse me of "spying" on her if I was on my balcony at the same time they were on theirs. (I was NOT spying on anyone.) I never even spoke to her. They would come in at 2:30 in the morning and yell as loud as possible purposely trying to wake everyone up, using the F* word and many more, English and Spanish. I complained at least 3 times to security. They said since they didn't see it they couldn't do anything about it and just said call them back if it happened again. I felt bullied and afraid she would get more agitated. I did not feel safe or comfortable with the way this was handled. I called Carnival when we got home to see how this should have been handled but all they said was they were sorry it happened. One night there whole group was in the hallway at 2:30 cussing loudly. Has this happened to anyone else? What should be expected of security on a cruise ship?

I think the lady across my lane was in your neighbouring cabin. LOL

Seriously that is crazy, sorry you had to go through that!

Dolly has another option.

Two doors down

They're laughing and drinkin', and having a party

Two doors down

They're not aware that I'm around

Cause here I am

Crying my heart out, feelin' sorry while

They're having a party two doors down

I think I'll dry these useless tears

And get myself together

I think I'll wonder down the hall

And have a look around

'Cause I can't stay inside

This lonely room and cry forever

I think I really rather join 'em

Two door down, yeah

Several years ago we had some unruly neighbors on a cruise and DH called security. Told them that you could hear yelling and things being thrown. A few minutes later they were at their door and we never heard another peep out of them the rest of the cruise. I don't know what happened to them, but they were taken care of from our perspective. Maybe our case was different because you could hear things being thrown.

I think that is the key word... they will come up to protect the property.

Dave

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, this is Carnival's flagship.

Yet, according to Cruise Critic, this ship has an only 67% approval rating. A full 20% below the Miracle. That's a bit too side of a swing to be a coincidence. Even the Dream (same class, so same staff/passenger ratio), which has its vocal critics, pulls in at 75%.

I am wondering if there is something to this, and if this is, say, a more typical than not example of service on this particular ship.

All that being said, this is, of course, completely unacceptable. People waking me up at 2:30 in the morning would definitely ruin my day, especially if I had to be up at, say, 7 am to be on an excursion. I certainly don't begrudge people partying on a cruise, but why not do that in the appropriate venue?

I am in complete disagreement with the "get over it" crowd. Get over - what? The wish to have some peace and quiet in your own room? The right not to be intimated and threatened on your own balcony? Or, for that matter, anywhere on the ship?

I wonder if their response would have been more swift had you threatened to exercise the vacation guarantee (assuming your neighbors were acting up before the first port, of course). You shouldn't have to resort to such measures, but I have seen other posters get a much more rapid response to issues by being prepared to use this.

I have found out on our times at sea it usually takes 2 or more when someone has a problem. What if the neighbors feel the same way about you. Sometimes people let the little things become big things.

Taking the OP at her word, she was screamed at with obscenities and accused of "spying" by her neighbor while on her balcony. How is someone screaming at you on your own balcony, while you are trying to relax, on a vacation that you paid for, a "little thing"? What would be a "big" thing then, in your book?

My DH took a rather unique - but effective - approach to loud neighbors on a 3 night cruise. He bought them a bucket of beer, and told them NICELY that we had no problem with them partying and having a great time, but would REALLY appreciate it if they would take their party out to the public areas of the ship, and try to be quiet in the hallways, as we were probably not the only people they were disturbing.

They were really apologetic. They were a bunch of young military guys on board for a buddy's batchelor party, and it hadn't even ocurred to them that they were disturbing anyone else - they were just caught up in their own fun. (How they could have been that oblivious, especially when marching up and down the corridor at 6:00 a.m., blowing a whistle, I don't know.:eek: I told DH that whichever one of them had the F*&$ing whistle shouldn't get a beer, but I was overruled.:cool:)

Anyway, after buying them the beers and asking them nicely to be quiet, we didn't hear a peep out of them for the rest of the cruise.

Of course these guys weren't rude and belligerent like the OP's balcony neighbors, but I thought my DH's solution was brilliant. You get more flies with honey than with vinegar.;)

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, this is Carnival's flagship.

Yet, according to Cruise Critic, this ship has an only 67% approval rating. A full 20% below the Miracle. That's a bit too side of a swing to be a coincidence. Even the Dream (same class, so same staff/passenger ratio), which has its vocal critics, pulls in at 75%.

I am wondering if there is something to this, and if this is, say, a more typical than not example of service on this particular ship.

All that being said, this is, of course, completely unacceptable. People waking me up at 2:30 in the morning would definitely ruin my day, especially if I had to be up at, say, 7 am to be on an excursion. I certainly don't begrudge people partying on a cruise, but why not do that in the appropriate venue?

I am in complete disagreement with the "get over it" crowd. Get over - what? The wish to have some peace and quiet in your own room? The right not to be intimated and threatened on your own balcony? Or, for that matter, anywhere on the ship?

I wonder if their response would have been more swift had you threatened to exercise the vacation guarantee (assuming your neighbors were acting up before the first port, of course). You shouldn't have to resort to such measures, but I have seen other posters get a much more rapid response to issues by being prepared to use this.

What guarantee is this?

My DH took a rather unique - but effective - approach to loud neighbors on a 3 night cruise. He bought them a bucket of beer, and told them NICELY that we had no problem with them partying and having a great time, but would REALLY appreciate it if they would take their party out to the public areas of the ship, and try to be quiet in the hallways, as we were probably not the only people they were disturbing.

They were really apologetic. They were a bunch of young military guys on board for a buddy's batchelor party, and it hadn't even ocurred to them that they were disturbing anyone else - they were just caught up in their own fun. (How they could have been that oblivious, especially when marching up and down the corridor at 6:00 a.m., blowing a whistle, I don't know.:eek: I told DH that whichever one of them had the F*&$ing whistle shouldn't get a beer, but I was overruled.:cool:)

Anyway, after buying them the beers and asking them nicely to be quiet, we didn't hear a peep out of them for the rest of the cruise.

Of course these guys weren't rude and belligerent like the OP's balcony neighbors, but I thought my DH's solution was brilliant. You get more flies with honey than with vinegar.;)

This is a really great idea! I have a bad habit of turning into a raging bull when I cant sleep and dont think straight and just get livid. Sometimes it is better to stay calm. Have to try that in the future if I ever get stuck around rude neighbors.

Absolute class :) Definitely brilliant. I love it.

This is awesome! High five to your husband!

On our January Legend cruise, we had a problem with several guys up on the Lido deck who were throwing lit cigarettes off the ship and they were landing on our aftwrap balcony on the 7th deck. We had seen several butts and didn't realize they were lit when thrown until my boyfriend was sitting on the balcony wearing shorts and a lit butt landed on his leg. He came in and called security on the phone and reported it. Within five minutes a guy from security was at our room and my boyfriend was able to describe the individuals and where they had been standing. We also knew they were smoking Camels. The security guy also was concerned about whether my boyfriend needed medical attention (he didn't) and was very apologetic.

No more cigarette butts appeared on our deck the rest of the cruise.

I know people are going to party. That's not my question. I want to know what I can and should expect of security. These people had kids who were no problem. I think they left them by themselves sometimes. I know they were low-class cuz they stiffed the steward by having all the tips reversed.

you can expect security to be irritated that you called them to intervene...or you can expect Ramboesque, control freak, over the top, I have all the power security...

Useless as far as I am concerned....

Yikes. If it were me I would either keep calling security or record them on my iphone as "proof". Security should have knocked on the cabin door and asked them to keep it down.

Recently cruised on Magic in a cove balcony. Had issues with neighboring cabin. The woman would scream obscenities and accuse me of "spying" on her if I was on my balcony at the same time they were on theirs. (I was NOT spying on anyone.) I never even spoke to her. They would come in at 2:30 in the morning and yell as loud as possible purposely trying to wake everyone up, using the F* word and many more, English and Spanish. I complained at least 3 times to security. They said since they didn't see it they couldn't do anything about it and just said call them back if it happened again. I felt bullied and afraid she would get more agitated. I did not feel safe or comfortable with the way this was handled. I called Carnival when we got home to see how this should have been handled but all they said was they were sorry it happened. One night there whole group was in the hallway at 2:30 cussing loudly. Has this happened to anyone else? What should be expected of security on a cruise ship?

OP: You should have been much more vocal with the ships management! You should not put up with that!

You could always go to guest services and get different color luggage tags and switch them on the neighbors bags before they are picked up. They'd probably be last off the ship.

I love this idea! Hehehe......

My issue with my neighbors have always been the chronic smokers that come in and out of the balcony doors slamming them at 4/5 am in the morning. (sigh) can't even sleep in.

Another, any excuse to bash the smokers post....ugh....

It worked for you, how great...I wonder how it would have worked without the beer? LOL

My idea would be to call them and tell them security has had reports of loud obnoxious behavior and would be at their door shortly, and they should prepare to disembark! :rolleyes:

Look at the post count!

Seasoned cruisers know that a call to security becomes a serious matter for one ore another party at some point or they have never actually called security!

Den

Well, according to the OP's sig line, she has been on 6 cruises. What does the post count have to do with being a seasoned cruiser and how many cruises does one need to be a seasoned cruiser?

I'd be p***ed too if someone kept telling to stop spying on them if I was on my balcony.

What an odd comment from security: they didnt see it so they could do nothing about it ???

What if the neighboor had assaulted you, or destroyed their furniture, or thew the coffee table overboard ? Uh, sorry. We didnt see anything, nothing we can do...

Certainly, they are never going to "see" anything if they dont bother getting off their butts and coming down to where to problem is... If they HAD walked to the cabin, they might well have heard it for themselves...

Archived