Antigua, Tortola, St. Thomas, and Nassau

sonicbuffalo

We have this itinerary for next January. This is what we're doing:

St. Thomas - Snuba at Coral World (through Carnival) and shopping on our own

Antigua - Catamaran trip to 2 or 3 beaches, lobster buffet, open bar for 6 hours on Mystic. (through Carnival)

Tortola - We're going to try to get a cab to Smuggler's Cove. It's a beach nobody hardly goes to because the road back to it is a bit bumpy and it's a little out of the way, but I guess it's pretty serene, not a lot of people, great local food, and a VERY nice sandy beach. It's gorgeous.

Nassau - Going to try to book that Comfort Inn so we can get into Atlantis.

We just did this same itinerary in December of the Freedom and loved it!

St Thomas - we sailed with Kathleen on High Pockets. Had a great time.

http://www.sailhighpockets.com/

Antigua - we walked to the bus station and took a bus to Valley Church Beach. It was $1.25 pp. When it was time to leave there were taxis there so we grabbed one rather than wait for the bus to come back by. The beach is absolutely beautiful. You can rent chairs and umbrellas and there was a bar there with good food.

Nassau - we did a lot of walking, went to Atlantis by taxi which was $4 and walked around. When we left we walked a short distance to a public beach. We didnt stay... we were just enjoying the walk. Then we took a taxi back to Senior Frogs and grabbed a bite to eat and walked around the straw market. Our original plan was to get a day pass at the British Colonial Hilton and go snorkeling with Blue Hole water sports. I thought this was a good option becuase I knew it was only a few minutes walk from the port so no taxi. We changed our mind because we had never been to Atlantis and wanted to check it out.

Tortola - went to Jost Van Dyke on a day sail with Kuralu. Loved Jost, but did not feel like we had enough time there. The boat and owner, Gary was nice the only negative was the fact that we got back to the dock late and by the time we got back to the ship we were 5 minutes late boarding and I was scared to death we would miss the boat.

There is all kinds of info on the ports of call board. Have a great time!!

We did this (plus San Juan) on Freedom. It was fantastic.

In Antigua we went with AdventureAntigua(.com) on the Eco Tour. Absolutely amazing.

In St. Thomas we had planned to go to Sapphire Beach, but the taxi told us it was too windy and took us to Secret Harbor Beach resort- no fee to use the beach, though we ordered lunch from them and had a few drinks. The water was clear and decent off beach snorkeling. Very uncrowded, and near the middle of the day a few more people came and said they came from Sapphire Beach- where it was too windy and the water was no good. Our taxi driver was good to us! We arranged for him to pick us up in the afternoon, and he arrived 20 minutes early.

Tortola we took a cab to Cane Garden Bay. Harrowing ride over the mountain, but a very nice beach. Totally different day from St. Thomas though- crowded beach, water too dark to snorkel (but great to swim in). Drinks were cheap. Small rental fee for chairs, and here you need them, no space to lay in the sand.

Nassau- we walked to the pirate museum and then to the zoo. The zoo was fun- feeding the birds was the best I've ever done at a zoo. Nice town to walk in.

In Antigua we also went with AdventureAntigua(.com) on the Eco Tour....enjoyed that.

Tortola - Aristocat Sailboat Charters -- just google/search trip advisor. Nice catamaran tour to Treasure Island and the Indians....great time and great snorkeling...and crew (we had a blast)

St. Thomas---took cab to Ferry---St Johns for Trunk and Cinnamon beaches (both awesome)

Freedom is a great ship...we will do this cruise again in the future.

Enjoy!

John in NC

We have this itinerary for next January. This is what we're doing:

St. Thomas - Snuba at Coral World (through Carnival) and shopping on our own

Antigua - Catamaran trip to 2 or 3 beaches, lobster buffet, open bar for 6 hours on Mystic. (through Carnival)

Tortola - We're going to try to get a cab to Smuggler's Cove. It's a beach nobody hardly goes to because the road back to it is a bit bumpy and it's a little out of the way, but I guess it's pretty serene, not a lot of people, great local food, and a VERY nice sandy beach. It's gorgeous.

Nassau - Going to try to book that Comfort Inn so we can get into Atlantis.

thanks for the tips

This is my exact itinerary that I'm doing in August and thinking of things to do at each port.

St. Thomas - Has anyone done Kon-Tiki Sightseeing & Beach cruise thru CCL?

Antigua - Thinking about touring with Gordon (he's recommended alot on the port of call threads)

Tortola - Really, really would like to do The Baths but worried about someone in my party not being able to go through it. Is there a way to go around instead of through?

Nassau - Thinking about getting a day pass at the Sheraton and enjoy cable beach.

Did anyone just book the ferry to the baths, instead of doing an excursion?

Mary

The people on our Roll Call who didn't sigh up for our private charter in time did that & had no problem! - and we had to be back on the ship at 2:30!

Tortola - Really, really would like to do The Baths but worried about someone in my party not being able to go through it. Is there a way to go around instead of through?

We booked an excursion with Patouche charters so we came by boat. We snorkeled in, but they had a dinghy if needed. Yes, you can bypass walking through them and just go directly to the little beach - you are still surrounded by the boulders. It's beautiful there!!

Just came back from this itinerary and have been to most of these places before. Without question do the Jost Van Dyke excursion. It is an amazing place. Probably the nicest beach I've ever been to. Pure paradise. Skip St. Thomas and go to St. John. Far nicer.

YES!! Skip St. Thomas and go to St. John. Been to St. Thomas twice and last cruise we took the ferry over to St. John's. Breath taking! If you go to the ports of call area, someone posted a very detailed schedule that you can follow on how to get to St. John's on your own. We did it and it worked well.

Nassau - Thinking about getting a day pass at the Sheraton and enjoy cable beach.

did this in '09 and loved it. We were there in the summer and they gave us a room that had a patio that opened up to the pool. We took the jitney there, so transportation only cost $10 rt for 4. :D

We're doing this itiniery on the Freedom, June 30th. Thanks for all the ideas for Antigua and Tortola, since we've never been to those islands. :)

Mamaparrothead,

We have been to St. Thomas several times and I was wondering if you could share your information on Sunny helping you and getting you a guide on St. John. We are a party of 9 and my Mom can walk but travels with a wheelchair so sometimes not having something totally planned has been difficult for us. Hoping you could share details and cost so I could see if this is something doable. Would love to get to St. John but with many of us and my Mom I didn't care to try to do it all on my own.

Thanks so much!

We booked an excursion with Patouche charters so we came by boat. We snorkeled in, but they had a dinghy if needed. Yes, you can bypass walking through them and just go directly to the little beach - you are still surrounded by the boulders. It's beautiful there!!

Coming by boat sounds wonderful, but incase we choose not to come by boat or walking through The Baths, is there a walkers path of some sort to get to and from the beach?

did this in '09 and loved it. We were there in the summer and they gave us a room that had a patio that opened up to the pool. We took the jitney there, so transportation only cost $10 rt for 4. :D

Was this a port stop on a cruise or Nassau was your vacation spot in '09? I've read here on CC that the pools are great!

• 1 month later...

We are doing this itinerary in Sept. on the Valor and this is what we have planned.

Antigua- See Antigua by Sea through Carnival

Tortola- Virgin Islands Sailaway through Carnival

St. Thomas- Sapphire Beach and Paradise Point

Nassau- Day pass at the Sheraton, Cable Beach

First time in Tortola, so looking forward to this trip!

We haven't been to St Thomas in a few years but always enjoyed Magens Bay. Can be crowded but beautiful. Watch your times if going to St. Johns. Both trips there took about 1.5 hours each way and were not cheap. Maybe $50 per person with a group for taxis and ferry. Going back next year and are undecided.

We have been to Antigua three times and have been to Darkwood Beach twice. Beautiful beach with a nice little restaurant and bar. Maybe 30 minutes from port. No snorkeling there.

Have not been to Tortola and it's been 6 years since our last trip to the Bahamas though going to Nassau again on the next cruise. Been to Atlantis and Nassau is just Nassau. Will seek a nice beach.

for those that have been to The Baths, do you recommend for a 3 and 5 year old? We are in port 7-3:30pm so not sure how time would work. What are exact costs to get there?

Archived