Box instead of suitcase?

chipperberg

I am traveling with a 10 month old in 2 weeks in a 7 day cruise. I am pretty well set on all I need to bring, but I was wondering if I really needed to pack everything in a suitcase. For example, we are bringing a box of diapers. Can I just put the luggage tag on the box of diapers? I feel there are SO many things that we are bringing and clearly NOT bringing home with us (diapers, wipes, food, etc) that I thought if I could just box them up, it would be easier, but I have no idea if I can do that. Thanks in advance.

We went on many cruises, different lines, with a box of diapers, wipes and formula, along with dollar store pool toys and noodles that were deliberately left behind on beaches in the Caribbean.

Cruise line porters should not have any problem handling it - it gets a stateroom tag just like a suitcase. Keep in mind that the box may end up on the bottom of a heap of suitcases (pack it tightly).

Check with your airline about size/weight/fees.

If you're getting in a day or so early, you can also make at supply run in port and pack it in a box for departure, to avoid those airline fees.

Bon Voyage

I am traveling with a 10 month old in 2 weeks in a 7 day cruise. I am pretty well set on all I need to bring, but I was wondering if I really needed to pack everything in a suitcase. For example, we are bringing a box of diapers. Can I just put the luggage tag on the box of diapers? I feel there are SO many things that we are bringing and clearly NOT bringing home with us (diapers, wipes, food, etc) that I thought if I could just box them up, it would be easier, but I have no idea if I can do that. Thanks in advance.

We did that - we used a Costco size box, removed 2 sleeves of diapers & used the rest of the space for wipes, etc. (We drove to the port. When we flew - we had diapers dot com ship or box to our hotel.)

We've always packed them in our bags, but here is the trick: leave them in the sleeves and they'll take up less room. The empty space then gives us room to bring back ... well, junk, usually. :o

The does pose a challenge with bag weight sometimes, but I don't see much difference between checking a box and checking an extra suitcase. Except that, as others have said, it's tougher to 'handle' a box... that applies to the daddy as well as the porter. :D

That said, I never though about partially repacking the box with something other that diapers. Tequila, anyone? ;)

Check with your airline. Depending on when and where you fly, there may be an excess baggage and box embargo, which means it doesn't fly. Peak season to the Caribbean is most impacted. The box embargo could apply even if that's all you are checking; hard to handle, potential to rip, etc., plus they are the first things left-off if the cargo hold is physically full ("cubed-out"). If that may be an issue, get in early and do the shopping in your port city.

In 1966, when I was 10 and my brother was an infant, the family flew to Vancouver and took the train across Canada, then on to New England. At the time, Sacramento (home) was a big test market for a lot of products, and Pampers were introduced there. Knowing they weren't (yet) available in Maine and New Hampshire, our baggage was absolutely stuffed with as many Pampers as could be squeezed into our 12 pieces of luggage, not counting the stroller. My aunt, with two in diapers, certainly appreciated the extras after we flew home.

Don't diaper boxes have holes for handles? If not, you can create a "handle" with packing tape to make it easier for the yourselves and for the porters to handle.

Ours from Costco do have handles - but the smaller boxes that you get at Target & the like, do not...

Just sailed on Carnival Pride we packed a box with all our diapers, food, wipes, formula etc. We carried it on with no problems and after we unpacked the room steward disposed of it for us. Since we used everything while on the ship it made it so nice getting off with one less thing to lug.

Archived