Overweight luggage; never again

derf5585

Have you ever been stopped because of overweight luggage.

Shimano - Stainless Steel Spring Scale - Affordability :100 lb.

from

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=5665435&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10051

40 items found for spring scale

from

http://search.ebay.com/spring-scale_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1

When we flew out in February-- we saw lots of people being asked to transfer stuff out of one suitcase into another. I am talking maybe 1-2 pounds. So yes it seems that airlines are getting rather strict with their weight allowances.

YES, we had to transfer some items from one suitcase to another AND my in-laws had to do the same thing....different flights, different dates, different airlines, SAME RULES.

I think the alternative was to pay $25.00 per suitcase

overweight fee.

I think the max weight was 50 pounds....even if we were over by a few, their rules were SET!

Transfer the excess weight OR pay the fee!

I think it depends on the counter agent too. I've been slightly over (52lbs) and did not have to transfer anything. On my last cruise the suitcase weighed 53lbs, but the counter agent didn't even check. After the cruise, I checked my bags outside:D !!

About a year before the weight limits changed I bought this great big 29" bag. Now I have no use for it. It's too heavy for the airlines and too big and bulky for car trips. I had it all packed for our last car trip but had to unpack it and pack in smaller bags because it was so bulky (easier to cram small duffel bags into a fully loaded vehicle). I'm so sorry I bought it. Now I'm thinking of buying a couple of small bags befor our next cruise.

We also had to move some items around once for the weight limits.

Check out AA website for how they handle excess or overweight luggage. $80 for the third checked bag. $25 for over 50 lbs, but less than 70 lbs. http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml?anchorEvent=false

We knew we were over on one of my DW's bags, and as I am standing there at the outside luggage check-in holding $$$ in my outstretched hand, I asked the porter if that bag would make the weight limit. He smiled, said yes sir, then grunted while trying to lift it.

I do however think that all the airlines have started enforcing this more, as they probably should. Along with enforcing rules on carry-on, which can get totally out of hand by some folks taking everything as carry-on. Personnaly I think they could cut back on allowances for carry-on, and should enforce it.

I think it depends on the counter agent too. I've been slightly over (52lbs) and did not have to transfer anything. On my last cruise the suitcase weighed 53lbs, but the counter agent didn't even check. After the cruise, I checked my bags outside:D !!

COuld I ask when this was?? I think it really started this year... would like to know if people are seeing this as a whole or is it an agent thing? Even had the porters outside checking on the weight of the bags.

About a year before the weight limits changed I bought this great big 29" bag. Now I have no use for it. It's too heavy for the airlines and too big and bulky for car trips. I had it all packed for our last car trip but had to unpack it and pack in smaller bags because it was so bulky (easier to cram small duffel bags into a fully loaded vehicle). I'm so sorry I bought it. Now I'm thinking of buying a couple of small bags befor our next cruise.

We have a couple sets of nice luggage and the largest suitcases are now useless with the 50lb weight limit. What's funny is we used to each take the one big suitcase and it would weigh around 60lbs going out and crammed full of stuff at about 70lbs on the return trip. Now we take two smaller ones that end up weighing close to 50 pounds each on the way back. LOL!

It doesn't take long to hit a 50 lb weight limit either. We ended up buying some real cheap and much lighter suitcases for traveling. I've had nice new expensive suitcases damaged the first time out which was a bummer. With the way they get banged around and damaged we also figured it was better to replace the suitcases ever few trips with another cheap light one.

On our Last cruise my bag was over 50LBs and I had to do the shuffle and stuff clothes into my garment bag. it was on the way home so I wasn't worried about the wrinkles. This time around we are flying Spirit Airlines and from what I've read on their website they allow 70lbs. I am still going to try to pack lighter this time(I hope to anyway) . It is just too much weight to lug around

Southwest finally lowered the weight limit per bag to 50 pounds, but they allow THREE (3) checked bags per person.

In March an American agent told me he normally allows 52 pounds, because home scales can be off. I started wondering how often they calibrate theirs?

Air Tran is 75lbs....we needed every bit in February when we were talking things to the orphanage in Roatan.....on the way back...it was 50lbs on US Air....it's funny how things just worked out......:)

FLL had scales outside......everything was getting weighed when we were there....

We have a couple sets of nice luggage and the largest suitcases are now useless with the 50lb weight limit. What's funny is we used to each take the one big suitcase and it would weigh around 60lbs going out and crammed full of stuff at about 70lbs on the return trip. Now we take two smaller ones that end up weighing close to 50 pounds each on the way back. LOL!

It doesn't take long to hit a 50 lb weight limit either. We ended up buying some real cheap and much lighter suitcases for traveling. I've had nice new expensive suitcases damaged the first time out which was a bummer. With the way they get banged around and damaged we also figured it was better to replace the suitcases ever few trips with another cheap light one.

You know even though I was a flight attendant for over twenty years (1967 to 1987) . . . I just don't understand the reasoning behind the airlines limiting the weight of a suitcase. I can't imagine it is for safety reasons. As you said . . . you used to take one suitcase weighing between 60 to 70 pound and now you take two weighing close to 50 pounds each. So it is definately not a weight issue and two suitcases take up more room than one, so it can't be a space issue. So why? Does anyone know?

Whatever the reason, for as long as I can remember . . . whether it was a one week cruise or three week trip to Europe . . . I always went with one suit case and a purse. Today, I went out about bought a smaller cheap suitcase to replace the big expensive suitcase that I love . . . but I also bought a big garment bag and tote to match. Now I'll be checking two bags and carrying on one which no doubt, between the three, will weigh more and will be a lot more cumbersome. :(

One more reason that I hate to fly! Unless it's a place I can't drive to I'd sooner drive no matter how long it takes. Recently I had a very special uncle pass on. He lived in FL and I live in MD. Got online with the airlines because his funeral was in two days. Got notice on thursday and funeral was saturday. Usually the ticket from here to FL is around $150.00 - $200.00. The cheapest I could find was $800.00! I called one of the airlines and explained the situation about needing to be there. They told it didn't matter the price was the same. I was pretty shocked. The lady was trying to be nice and wanted to know if I wanted to make the reservation oh and by the way there is a $5.00 charge for doing it over the phone instead of online. Needless to say A couple of the family and I hopped in a car and drove down to FL and made it to the funeral just fine.

IM A FA,(1977-present) your lucky, you left during good times.......... not the same job:(

That's what I hear my former flying partners that are still flying (all three of them). I few for United out of Miami, D.C. and Chicago. Tee Hee . . . I remember when I started, I was so junior, I couldn't even fly jets (it was the just the old DC 6's and Viscounts). When I left, I was flying DC 10's and 747's. I'm now an attorney (after being Grievance Chairperson for the Association of Flight Attendants for years). I know things have changed a lot but I wouldn't give up those memories for all the tea in China . . . :)

I've packed a spring scale with me for about 2 years now.

Like a lot of other people, I bought a big 29" suitcase and ran into the overweight problem on the very next trip. It turns out that the 29 incher weighed 15 pounds empty!

With the scale, I never have to worry about having overweight bags and it lets me distribute the weight evenly between my two smaller bags, which makes them much easier to carry when I have to.

I wouldn't give up those memories for all the tea in China . . . :)

: ALL THE TEA IN CHINA - "All the tea in China would be nearly 600,000 tons

from

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/11/messages/315.html

After its early "too slow, too small" troubles, the Viscount became one of the best and fastest transports, carrying up to sixty-five passengers.

from

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Andes/9522/vickers.htm

The Viscount is still Britains most successful commercial transport aircraft, with 444 aircraft being built

from

http://www.calclassic.com/viscount.htm

Douglas quickly converted it into a commercial project, which became the DC-6.

from

http://www.calclassic.com/dc6.htm

: ALL THE TEA IN CHINA - "All the tea in China would be nearly 600,000 tons

from

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/11/messages/315.html

After its early "too slow, too small" troubles, the Viscount became one of the best and fastest transports, carrying up to sixty-five passengers.

from

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Andes/9522/vickers.htm

The Viscount is still Britains most successful commercial transport aircraft, with 444 aircraft being built

from

http://www.calclassic.com/viscount.htm

Douglas quickly converted it into a commercial project, which became the DC-6.

from

http://www.calclassic.com/dc6.htm

derf . . . you are too funny . . . :p Okay, how about all the coffee in Jamacia? ;)

You know even though I was a flight attendant for over twenty years (1967 to 1987) . . . I just don't understand the reasoning behind the airlines limiting the weight of a suitcase. I can't imagine it is for safety reasons. As you said . . . you used to take one suitcase weighing between 60 to 70 pound and now you take two weighing close to 50 pounds each. So it is definately not a weight issue and two suitcases take up more room than one, so it can't be a space issue. So why? Does anyone know?

That's the same question we've wondered too. I've heard the reason that it's a baggage handlers limit of 50 pounds which I could beleive if we hadn't been able to travel for years with the heavier bags. We got hammered for an $80 surcharge coming back from a cruise once for an over weight bag. (it was 68lbs) The did give us the option of moving stuff ot other suitcases but we didn't have any space and there was no where to buy an additional one so I had to pay the $80. Since then we pack a lot lighter and if we go over I take two suitcases and sometimes two carry on's.

IMHO, the new enforcement is because of fuel prices. Less weight inthe baggage hold means less weight on the plane. Yes, people are shifting things and carryiong the same weight overall, but as many of you have noted, people are also packing lighter. The surcharge for weight is another fuel charge.

Just my speculation....

Cheers,

Friday

That's what I hear my former flying partners that are still flying (all three of them). I few for United out of Miami, D.C. and Chicago. Tee Hee . . . I remember when I started, I was so junior, I couldn't even fly jets (it was the just the old DC 6's and Viscounts). When I left, I was flying DC 10's and 747's. I'm now an attorney (after being Grievance Chairperson for the Association of Flight Attendants for years). I know things have changed a lot but I wouldn't give up those memories for all the tea in China . . . :)

Hmmmmmmmm same airline............. only I started in CLE, now~ no DC10's or MIA, or wages:eek:

Maybe you could use your expertise to help................?:D

Archived