Overweight luggage; never again

derf5585

We're flying Southwest next month and we were planning on only taking 1 big suitcase (a 32"). Does anyone know if we'll have to pay? Or, since we'll only have 1 bag, will we be ok?

Last trip on Southwest, they informed us about the baggage limit. I asked why and she stated that the baggage handlers were claiming too many back injuries from all the heavy luggage. Something to do with when they are packing it into the bottom of the plane and how they have to stoop over. So then I asked when they were going to start limiting everyone on the number of bags and she just smiled. She just finished the conversation by saying that for now they are allowing 3 bags at 50 lbs each and have a nice flight.

Steven

When we flew out in February-- we saw lots of people being asked to transfer stuff out of one suitcase into another. I am talking maybe 1-2 pounds. So yes it seems that airlines are getting rather strict with their weight allowances.

They certainly are!!

My daughter, traveling back and forth from college has a heck of a time...she winds up transfering stuff into her carry on...actually squashing it in. She tests the weight boundaries on every flight. One time she tried curb side check in to avoid the scale...and that worked well, thank goodness.

I was on Southwest a few weeks ago from Chicago to Baltimore, my bag weighed 52.5, and they said starting the next day it would be $25 for anything over 50lbs. On the way back, we checked in outside, he lifted the bag and said it was OK, I asked if I could stick something else in, and he said it was heavy enough, and that they were pretty tough there, because that is how they are making money. I think that may be part of it, and also I am sure the baggage handlers are union workers! So, they would rather lift two bags at 50 each than one bag weighing over 50. So, they may soon run out of room with every person now bringing more than one bag. I will be brining an extra bag on our cruise with very little in it on the way down, so I can bring home the things we buy. I think it is a money maker!

Maureen

What doesn't make sense to me...is that if the weight limit is for the baggage handlers safety...why do they still allow you to have overweight bags, for a charge?!? Makes absolutely no sense. :mad:

I had to pay $75 for an overweight suitcase...and was so frustrated and didn't want to move things around that I paid the dumb thing. NEVER again! :eek:

Give me a break. If weight was truly an issue on an airplane, they'd start weighing passengers before you boarded. Since they can't do that, the impose a limit on your luggage and make a quick buck in it as well.

It has zero to do with if your luggage is a few pounds over their imposed limit, but everything to do with them charging you more money.

We just returned flew home out of Orlando and got hit for being overweight on 2 bags. Southwest gave us the option of buying a duffle bag for $25 or paying the $25 per bag overage charge. We argued and had our bags re-weighed on another agent's scale and were ok with a small amount of shuffleing. So a word to the wise....don't trust the first scale you put your bags on.

When we were in line to check in at the airport in New Orleans to return from our trip on the Conquest, the young man in front of us had a HUGE bag (I don't think I'd ever seen one so big) and it was stuffed full. They put it on the scale and it weighed 121 lbs!!!!! Our three checked bags together only weighed 95. Why would anyone need so much for a one week cruise?!?!?!

I was on Southwest a few weeks ago from Chicago to Baltimore, my bag weighed 52.5, and they said starting the next day it would be $25 for anything over 50lbs. On the way back, we checked in outside, he lifted the bag and said it was OK, I asked if I could stick something else in, and he said it was heavy enough, and that they were pretty tough there, because that is how they are making money. I think that may be part of it, and also I am sure the baggage handlers are union workers! So, they would rather lift two bags at 50 each than one bag weighing over 50. So, they may soon run out of room with every person now bringing more than one bag. I will be brining an extra bag on our cruise with very little in it on the way down, so I can bring home the things we buy. I think it is a money maker!

Maureen

Your sure the baggage handlers are union workers???.............. so if not, they are stronger? I don't think, it's the baggage handlers making up the rules.

Archived