Still confused about Vancouver transport/motels

Eppiela

I am so confused with all the terminology and possibilities about how to logically do motels and transportation in Vancouver. I've read so many of the posts here and still don't know what to do. Would it be possible for someone to tell us exactly how to do it?

Our cruise ends in Vancouver. We want to stay the day, sleep one night, and take a flight home the next day.

My understanding is this?

Check our luggage at Canada Place.

Do some touring.

Get our luggage and take....what? to a motel by the airport.

Motel provides transport to the airport in the morning.

Or if we do a downtown hotel, would they transport us from Canada Place to their hotel?

If someone could plainly state what to do, I would be so grateful!

I am so confused with all the terminology and possibilities about how to logically do motels and transportation in Vancouver. I've read so many of the posts here and still don't know what to do. Would it be possible for someone to tell us exactly how to do it?

Our cruise ends in Vancouver. We want to stay the day, sleep one night, and take a flight home the next day.

My understanding is this?

Check our luggage at Canada Place.

Do some touring.

Get our luggage and take....what? to a motel by the airport.

Motel provides transport to the airport in the morning.

Or if we do a downtown hotel, would they transport us from Canada Place to their hotel?

If someone could plainly state what to do, I would be so grateful!

OK. You want something easy and not confusing. No worries

1. Book a downtown hotel.

2. Walk or take a cab to your hotel depending on the distance. Downtown is quite compact.

3. Leave your luggage at the hotel.

4. Tour the city. There are lots of ideas what to do on this board.

5. Have a nice dinner out. By the water, in lost lagoon, or false creek would be good.

6. Have a leisurely breakfast and take a taxi to the airport. ( 20 minutes, $30.)

7 Remember, you clear US customs and immigration in Vancouver! Allow enough time. Enjoy your stay.

OK. You want something easy and not confusing. No worries

1. Book a downtown hotel.

2. Walk or take a cab to your hotel depending on the distance. Downtown is quite compact.

3. Leave your luggage at the hotel.

4. Tour the city. There are lots of ideas what to do on this board.

5. Have a nice dinner out. By the water, in lost lagoon, or false creek would be good.

6. Have a leisurely breakfast and take a taxi to the airport. ( 20 minutes, $30.)

7 Remember, you clear US customs and immigration in Vancouver! Allow enough time. Enjoy your stay.

Nice summary; although on most days you'd be hard pressed to pay only $30 to get a taxi from downtown-airport. The other option is Skytrain , which is $3.75/ea from downtown to airport. Stations are all accessible (elevators) and the trains are roll on roll off.

I will put a slightly different spin on ER's excellent thoughts:

1. Check your luggage at the Priority Baggage Service at Canada Place or take it to a downtown hotel and tip a bellman to put it in their lock up for the day.

2. Take a HOHO, tour or transit and see what you wish to see.

3. Have dinner downtown. (if you do this be sure and check Priority's hours)

4. Pick up your luggage.

5. Take cab or Canada Line out to airport area hotel.

6. Have a little later start in the morning, many of the airport area hotels have a free shuttle to the airport.

Either plan will work.

Cab fare to the airport or that area will run about $35 incl tip and will take about 30/35 mins. The Canada Line is an excellent option but you do need to be able to handle all of your own luggage and have reasonable mobility; if the answer to any of this is no....then stick with the cab.

Nice summary; although on most days you'd be hard pressed to pay only $30 to get a taxi from downtown-airport. The other option is Skytrain , which is $3.75/ea from downtown to airport. Stations are all accessible (elevators) and the trains are roll on roll off.

You guys keep pushing skytrain. Great for some but for most the extra time and trouble is just not worth $30. The savings are strictly at the margin of a relatively expensive vacation and the savings are less than a bottle of cheap wine. take a cab!

You guys keep pushing skytrain. Great for some but for most the extra time and trouble is just not worth $30. The savings are strictly at the margin of a relatively expensive vacation and the savings are less than a bottle of cheap wine. take a cab!

I plead not guilty. While it is a great, inexpensive option, it is not for everyone. If you read my post before your last you will note that I say "Canada Line is an excellent option but you do need to be able to handle all of your own luggage and have reasonable mobility; if the answer to any of this is no....then stick with the cab."

I have a DW who suffers from MS and there is absolutely no way we can take the Canada Line or SkyTrain with or without luggage, she just can't walk the distances involved. However, even if we could, frankly I would have no interest in be crammed in a subway car with hundreds of others and have to deal with luggage. After spending thousands of dollars on a cruise I can certainly afford a cab and I find the possibility of standing or sitting beside someone with halitosis, having not used deodorant for a few days or coughing all over me quite unappealing.

That said, the service is there, it was necessary addition to our city, it is successful and I would suggest that it is our responsibility to be sure that visitors to our city are aware of it as an option.

For someone going to/from the airport to the cruise terminal, Skytrain kicks a taxicab from here to Abbotsford. It's faster, cheaper, and easier; with zero hassle that you might get a taxi driver long-hauling you. Downside? You need to roll your luggage on board. I've taken Skytrain to/from the airport and to/from Canada Place with luggage and unless you have serious mobility issues, or are carrying everything you own plus the kitchen sink, it's just not that difficult.

I agree

For someone going to/from the airport to the cruise terminal, Skytrain kicks a taxicab from here to Abbotsford. It's faster, cheaper, and easier; with zero hassle that you might get a taxi driver long-hauling you. Downside? You need to roll your luggage on board. I've taken Skytrain to/from the airport and to/from Canada Place with luggage and unless you have serious mobility issues, or are carrying everything you own plus the kitchen sink, it's just not that difficult.

Put me down as mobile and doing the Canada Line to the airport a few times. Including during the Olympics..

When cruising with ALL our stuff and we have great wheels and small carryon's I would no more do the skytrain than walk to Abbotsford.

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agree. I made a commitment in July to stop driving to work. Now that I have a monthly bus pass, I've almost stopped driving anywhere and just take the bus and Sky Train or Canada Line. Even when it's crowded, there is still lots of space for luggage. I often see people on business trips taking the train to the airport, too. It's quiet and safe and clean and the ride is smooth enough that even if you have to stand, it's not difficult.

As far as mobility, I can't answer from personal experience, but due to common travel times, I've made a friend who is quadriplegic and has one of those really big wheelchairs. He loves his new freedom and not having to wait for the Handidart.

Viv

Viv, as much as I respect your point of view, may I suggest to you that there are far more people in manual wheelchairs then motorized ones or scooters who with or without a companion are quite unable to handle their luggage for two weeks and take any form of public transit other than the Handidart. There are still others who through age or other infirmities have mobility issues that cause them to be unable to walk the 2/3 blocks required for SkyTrain and the Canada Line let alone handle luggage for a 7 to 14 day cruise. I do have personal experience in this regard.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have mobility issues, then take a cab. If not consider the Canada Line because once you arrive at the Marine Drive Station you are above ground the rest of the way and it is interesting to see out the windows. If it is not rush hour, then it is not crowded on the trains and people in Vancouver tend to be very polite and make room for people who need seats or help.

If you have mobility issues, then take a cab. If not consider the Canada Line because once you arrive at the Marine Drive Station you are above ground the rest of the way and it is interesting to see out the windows. If it is not rush hour, then it is not crowded on the trains and people in Vancouver tend to be very polite and make room for people who need seats or help.

To this I would just add...."or if you can't handle all of your own luggage for a distance of about 3 blocks from Canada Place to the platform of the Canada Line in Waterfront station."

I totally agree. I made a commitment in July to stop driving to work. Now that I have a monthly bus pass, I've almost stopped driving anywhere and just take the bus and Sky Train or Canada Line. Even when it's crowded, there is still lots of space for luggage. I often see people on business trips taking the train to the airport, too. It's quiet and safe and clean and the ride is smooth enough that even if you have to stand, it's not difficult.

As far as mobility, I can't answer from personal experience, but due to common travel times, I've made a friend who is quadriplegic and has one of those really big wheelchairs. He loves his new freedom and not having to wait for the Handidart.

It's not for everyone, but for a significant portion of the cruise population, it's the way to go. As to whether that portion is the majority or minority -- I don't hold the stats, but as a middle aged cruiser, I've taken Skytrain to from Airport/Cruise ship many times, without issue. Fast, inexpensive, and a 0-5 minute wait for a train vs a 0-60 minute wait for a taxi.

Archived