Boarding for Senior Cruisers!

nurseingu

• 2 weeks later...
My goodness. So now there should be priority boarding for we seniors? Sure, if they have some type of disability that requires special handling then they should be accomodated. But otherwise, they should be with the rest of us :). For what its worth DW and I will soon be going on a very long HA cruise where we expect all the passengers to be seniors and at least half will be parents of seniors.

In a related "senior" issue I recall being on a Princess cruise and patiently waiting in line for ice cream one afternoon. Suddenly, an elderly lady just cut right in front of me (and the 10 or so folks behind me) and said, "I am old so its ok."

i put this one in the '' rude '' catagory. once at the supermarket i was next in line about 2 ft behind the person checking out deciding what magazine too buy. suddenly my cart started too move sideways out of line and a elderly lady said she was cutting in because she was old and running late for something. as very nicely as i could i put my cart straight again and said that did not give her the right too just grab my cart and cut in with her over-heaping cart. i said if you are running late start giving yourself more time for shopping so you wont be. she stormed off too the back of the line . the checker smiled and whinked at me and the shoppers behind me congratulated me on taking care of such rude behavior.

to the op. i agree that wheelchairs should be used if possible for them so they wont have too stand so long and possibly hold up the line.

i put this one in the '' rude '' catagory. once at the supermarket i was next in line about 2 ft behind the person checking out deciding what magazine too buy. suddenly my cart started too move sideways out of line and a elderly lady said she was cutting in because she was old and running late for something. as very nicely as i could i put my cart straight again and said that did not give her the right too just grab my cart and cut in with her over-heaping cart. i said if you are running late start giving yourself more time for shopping so you wont be. she stormed off too the back of the line . the checker smiled and whinked at me and the shoppers behind me congratulated me on taking care of such rude behavior.

to the op. i agree that wheelchairs should be used if possible for them so they wont have too stand so long and possibly hold up the line.

I know that woman! She was the same one on our Princess cruise :)

Hank

It's fear. They get afraid as they age, afraid that they will get taken advantage of, or that they won't be able to manage. So they fight for every inch, even though obviously they don't have to.

We agree with Laurie. There is simply no excuse for rudeness no matter what your age. Unfortunately some of my fellow seniors just think they can get away with any kind of behavior because they figure nobody would dare say anything to get them to behave. They are usually right.

Hank

Children should go last? Why? Are they second class citizens or something? It's not how it works anywhere. Children are not less important then anyone else. What about children that are Elite passengers? They should wait for a first timer just because they are an adult. You do realize that they pay the same fare as an adult, right? What makes you more special then them? Respect for others is a two way street. I taught my children and am now teaching my grandchildren respect "for your elders" but when I see an older person being nasty to a young person, just because they are young... well then the gloves are off. We learn what we live. You disrespect and you deserve no respect in return.

There are a number of 'specials' where children sail free in same cabin with their parents/guardians. HAL often has offers for either very low fare or free for children.

Not that it matters in the scope of the direction the conversation regarding children veered.

Think you over-reacted to my post. Most children do not have difficulty walking up the stairs to the ship. I was making reference to the fact that it would be nice to allow elderly, slower moving passengers the option of boarding before you (not necessarily putting children at the back of the entire line). BTW, I was not speaking of myself -- we do allow people who need more time to climb the stairs to go ahead of us. I suppose if you feel so "Elite", you and your children should go first:confused:

P.S. I thought this board was for first time cruisers.

If only first time cruisers posted here, what would be the point? Isn't the goal to learn from more experienced cruisers and have questions answered? :confused:

If only first time cruisers posted here, what would be the point? Isn't the goal to learn from more experienced cruisers and have questions answered? :confused:

TOUCH'

Sometimes experienced cruisers don't always get it right so I can't imagine first time cruisers answering first timer's question.:D

Archived