Just off the Serenade of the Seas

johnh530

Hi Diana:) I have never heard that before. Actually

repositioning cruises are usually LESS $$$. So you might

find MORE solo cruisers on board!

My cruises have always been technically single although not always solo. I am a single mom and have cruised with my kids as well as by myself. And if any of you have kids and have cruised with them you will know that you just don't see them all that much in the evenings and get to be "solo" ;)

I have really enjoyed both cruising with my children and cruiseing solo. I am in the midst of planning another solo cruise for myself this year and a family cruise with my kids for next year.

I also enjoy Carnival for the atmosphere. I was so sad when I read of the poster who did not find people in the piano bar :mad: That is one of my all time favorite places to hang at night!

To those of you going solo for the first time - I can tell you that I have had a blast! I found this to be an incredibly refreshing way to travel! I have never gone in a group setting although I did meet some CC members on my recent cruise. I picked out shore excursions that interested me and just talked to people there. I did go to dinner every night and was seated with at least a couple of other singles. I would usually go out with them after dinner. During the day was MY time entirely and I loved that!

To John - I want to say that I really appreciate your honesty. As much fun as I have had on my cruises I have also had some lonely moments. What I really like about a cruise is that if I go out to the Lido deck for example and it is bursting with couples and families then it is easy for me to pick myself up and find another place to hang out and do something (even just a cup of coffee in a quiet lounge) to take myself away from the "in your face" couple/family atmosphere. I especially enjoy having a balcony cabin for just this reason. I can go to my cabin and sit on the balcony and have a drink and read a book and think about how lucky I am to have such a peaceful, restful moment.

On my next solo cruise I am thinking about trying to book one of the CC group cruises or at least try to travel when I know that school is in session and there are less families onboard. I will probably stick with Carnival for my solo cruises because I know that I have a great time!

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Like LizaMM i've been traveling solo for years even though most of those cruises have been with my daughter. I love it! Serenade is my favorite ship and I spent most of my time alone and enjoying the peace and quiet. I don't care if my table mates are all couples, I find people fascinating and I want to be waited on at meals so I won't stop going to the dining room, but I know that can be difficult for some people.

My biggest problem is that i'm in education and I can only travel in the summer and on school holidays. Now that my daughter is an adult and out on her own, I need a cruise mate. I don't want to pay double for my room. Yes, i'd pay for my daughter, but that was different. My friends are all either afraid they'll get seasick or they don't want to cruise in the summer time.

Cruising every summer is my therapy. I'm in need of my annual summer fix. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me???

Cheryl

Counsdr: Serenade is one of my favorite ships as well but it is expensive to travel single.

If you are open to new cruise lines, you might want to check out MSC Cruises. They offer a great single guarantee fare. I am on a Med cruise with them next week and will post a review when I return.

For me, I do not go on a cruise expecting to meet other singles. It is really important for me to enjoy the ship I cruise so that is the biggest factor in my decision. I seldom bother with the scheduled single events as I find them a bit hokey. And I always have dinner in the dining room as this is a highlight for me! Yes, I have had to have my table changed several times but this has never been an issue. I have found the staff goes out of its way (RCI and X especially) for singles and I have always felt comfortable.

I have sailed RCI, Celebrity, NCL and Carnival solo. RCI and Celebrity work best for me. RCI has a great fitness program and I am active so this is fun for me. And Celebrity just has great food and service and an adult atmosphere, which I prefer. Carnival is just not my style.

I was on a cruise last month and was people watching, as always. There was a man on pool deck one morning that was being verbally abusive to his wife, in an extremely loud voice. He was grabbing her and she was trying to get away. He was incredibly nasty and she was humiliated. Everyone was staring and there were a couple of men standing by, ready it seemed to jump in if he got physically violent. I remember thinking how grateful I was to be aboard alone and happy and not in a relationship that was abusive and obviously miserable. This might be extreme but I so often see couples sitting at dinner that have nothing to say to each other. I am quite content with my life as it is, including the opporunity to sail solo and enjoy it.

Wow Caviargal!!!!

You have been on sooo many cruises!!!!!!!!! How do you do it? I would love to take a cruise every 6-8 weeks, but alas, that will only happen in my dreams.

I too enjoy my own company. I only look for a cruise mate so that I don't have to pay extra. I like RCCL and X the best and I like to cruise to the caribbean as I like to basque in the sun or at least the fresh air on my balcony. My favorite is an aft cabin.

I'll appreciate any ideas of how I can find a way around the single supplement or finding a roommate.

Will wait to hear about your trip to the Med.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Archived