Is RCI responsible??????

adios

The poster mentioned their husband, so I doubt they have a hairy torso. :)

Not to be mean--but I have seen some women whose hairy bods can put some men to shame. Foolishly, as teenagers they shave everything, not of course realizing that it will come back thicker each time.

Still having this rash and itching pretty bad. I have a doctor's apt. at 3:15 CST, today, and will update everyone after that.

Sorry to hear about your rash.

Don´t want to sound mean to all people with suggestoins what it could be, but going to a doctor for a diagnosis is the only way to go. It would be hard to state any diagnosis with only hearing / reading descriptions of the rash.

However I think if it were bedbugs your partner should have problems too, but only the doctor will tell you for sure.

Keep us updated and wish you a speedy recovery.

I'm bringing foggers on my next cruise. They come in packs of 3, so I hope to convince the cabins on each side of mine to use them too, that would giver me a bug buffer.

Anyway, we use plain aloe at home all the time, but this time I woke up with a horrible rash on my back that kept spreading. It was bright read, bumpy/blistery; it itched and hurt and kept getting worse for 3 days. Finally, DH made me go to the ER. The doctor told me that I had had a reaction to the sun combined with the lidocaine and that it had triggered a dormant strep infection. I went on antibiotics and topical stuff. When I got home, I went to my doctor because one lesion wasn't healing (sorry, this is gross) because it had ulcerated. I had to have more antibiotics and special treatment of the area.

So, please, get a strep test. This didn't act like any strep infection I'd ever had.

This sounds just like the woman on the Jewel. Maybe she had strep! Did her DH get the bits also?

My SIL got a nasty case of sea lice on her upper thigh while scuba diving. It kept spreading until she went to the doc and got some meds for it.

As a medical professional - make sure your doctor does a complete battery of blood tests - the rash and the itching problem bothers me - this could be something as common as dermatitis or as serious as chronic liver disease - some people have had hepatitis C and never even knew it - and years later ??? - now the diahharia is a totally different problem from the rash - I really don't believe there is any connection - in any case I don't believe RRCL can be held accountable for any of your medical problems.

All I can say is that one of the things I was most impressed with on our RCCL cruise was the cleanliness.. They were constantly cleaning. The floors were so clean you could eat off of them. The sheets were clean, the bathrooms and floors immaculate. I think a lot of this is coming on ship from the swimming and activities OFF the ship and/or allergies.

I'm bringing foggers on my next cruise. They come in packs of 3, so I hope to convince the cabins on each side of mine to use them too, that would giver me a bug buffer.
JTJ - I hope that you aren't serious about this. These chemicals are FAR more likely to cause an allergic or adverse reaction for others than ANYTHING you think that you are "fixing."

Carol

Just returnd from the doctor. Though he was not quick to give a reason behind my rash, he wasn't really sure of the cause. In other words, he didn't say, well, this sure looks like bed bugs to me (which I took as good news)! He gave me a prescription for several meds and wants to see how quickly they treat the problem before a true diagnosis. Hopefully this will cure the rash!

I need to add a little something.

First, let me say we still don't know exactly what I have...bed bugs, sea lice, allergy to sun/meds, who knows. Do I feel different about RCCL? NO!! They are still my favorite and the only cruise line I want to travel on. I tell friends all the time to take RCCL over Carnival because I feel that it is so much better.

Am I concerned about this funny looking rash? Well of course I am, and think you might be to if you had a rash that just kept spreading. I am so relieved that my doctor didn't freak out and tell me I had malaria or something. Maybe my nurse friend was a little hasty with the whole bed bug issue, but once something gets planted in my mind, my mind tends to race and jump to conclusions. That was part of the reason I came to the board, to get everyone's feedback and ideas.

In reference to the lady on the Jewel (??), we've got to remember that in a given year, 52-104 (52 weeks multiplied by two people a week) sleep in these beds. Whether it's RCCL, Holiday Inn, or Delta Airlines, illness are going to get spread around. I think RCCL does an excellent job of cleaning and I couldn't ask or expect anything else.

I'm just relieved that my doctor thinks he can treat this and there should be no permanent scaring or residual effects.

Adios

Glad to hear your Doc didn't gasp in horror etc, and feels sure he can treat the rash.

Here in the UK the favourite answer is "you have a virus" which means they don't know what's wrong:rolleyes:

In reference to the lady on the Jewel (??), we've got to remember that in a given year, 52-104 (52 weeks multiplied by two people a week) sleep in these beds. Whether it's RCCL, Holiday Inn, or Delta Airlines, illness are going to get spread around.

Exactly - and what if the person doing the cleaning has something?!

Anything is possible as it's a big world out there, and I feel a few of the posters have been rather unkind to you.

Hope the meds work quickly:)

Just returnd from the doctor. Though he was not quick to give a reason behind my rash, he wasn't really sure of the cause. In other words, he didn't say, well, this sure looks like bed bugs to me (which I took as good news)! He gave me a prescription for several meds and wants to see how quickly they treat the problem before a true diagnosis. Hopefully this will cure the rash!

after reading about your traveling rash, it reminds me of scabies, not bed bugs. scabies is a traveling rash and it does itch. it looks like tiny red bumbs.It will only get better with a cream that you spread all over your body. It is passed from dirty sheets AND OR dirty people. you could have shaken the hand of someone who had them and there you go..

I hope you feel better soon. :)

I always get an itchy rash from sunscreen and sun exposure. Didn't used to when I was younger.....just happened the last few years. A Dermatologist recommended "Presun" sunscreen. It is difficult to find (for me), but sure works, and no more rash. I sympathize with you....that itchy rash is not fun. Hope it clears up soon.

My DH is allergic to the detergant that RCL uses. He has to sleep in long sleeve t-shirt and pj pants with socks no matter where we go. I guess you just have to be careful.

But at first when I read your post, I thought it might be the shingles. do you have any other symptoms?

Has your husband thought about bringing a lightweight sleeping bag instead? I bought some for my kids for sleepovers, and they weren't too expensive, and not too bulky to pack.

after reading about your traveling rash, it reminds me of scabies
I thought about scabies also. I use to teach and we had a few case.

adios - Did the doctor even mention any possibilities? Did he say anything about bed bugs, sea lice, etc. or did you bring those subjects up?

Pre Sun - Haven't seen that in a while and I use to love it! No greasy residue.

Don't forget that a lot of people get things (or allow dormant things to flourish) after a lot of stress or when your immune system gets weakened (preparing and going on a cruise can be stressful). Sometimes these go hand in hand. Add a change of routine and alergens, bacteria, food, or alcohol your body is not used to and almost anything can happen. Whether it is a hotel or wherever, never assume they change to freshly washed bedding everyday or between guests. There have been threads on here before where people have had skin reactions to the water from the showers, either on the ship and/or at the hotel.

Bottom line is whenever you go on a trip, something can happen. Bring some preparations for it (benedryl, etc.) but don't worry too much about it. Think of what will go right on your trip and don't lose sleep over something that could go wrong. The original poster got something and was truely worried, and rightfully so. Everyone else needs to stay calm and don't believe everything you hear in the mass media. Hopefully, it will all be as one of my friendly taxi drivers in Jaimaca said to me years ago, "Everythin be allright Mann!":)

CC

LOL!! I have no idea why the phrase 'bug buffer' is cracking me up, but it really is! :D

This is a really stupid idea. No other way to put it. There are cautions all over those cans. Have you even read them? You could make other people dangerously ill, or worse. It's also flammable....again, bad idea.

I'm sure you were joking though, no one could be serious about endangering other passengers........

Just recently had a case of scabies at the facility where I work (brought in from the outside by a family memeber and infected the patient) - and I highly doubt that what adios is describing is scabies. Scabies burrow into the skin and you can see the lines where they burrow.

Adios - did your doctor take any skin scrapings and send them out to be analyzed? I sure hope the meds and creams work for you.

Archived