Why NOT to book Early Saver?

dragonfly0004

I'm getting ready to book a cruise and was going to go with the early saver rate but last week on one of the threads I read a comment that said something about the person "only making that mistake once" when referring to booking the ES rate.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!!

If it is a significant price difference, and you are sure you can cruise then book it. If you cancel before final payment, they give you the deposit as a future cruise credit minus a $50 fee. I took a cruise with some friends in May, and it was no issue.

I don't know what the other person meant, but the only real downside I see is that it is not refundable. Otherwise, it is a great way to guarantee that you get the absolute lowest price.

Early Saver is the way to go (in my opinion), especially if cruise is a little ways out and price drops are expected as it gets closer. All you are out is $50 per person if you cancel as rest of deposit goes towards a future cruise.

Only other downside I can think of is NO name changes.

If you are sure you can sail that date, are sure your roomie can go, and would like to choose your cabin and save money?

Its a no brainer. I do it every time I can. I really like the chance for a credit almost up to sailing date.

On the other side of the coin. The cruise I have booked for October, I booked on a Past Guest rate to save a certain cabin we would want. I plan to switch that rate to ES when I am sure we can both go.;)

The important thing is to understand each rate you may book with and their pros, and cons. (as you are doing now with the question)

I think early saver is the way to go as long as you're certain you'll sail on that particular cruise and you're happy with your cabin level (i.e. you won't want to downgrade).

For me, once I plan a vacation, I'm going. No ifs ands or buts. For others, it doesn't always seem that way. They book it thinking "maybe" but if it turns out "No" then early saver costs them money whereas past guest or other rates, they cancel (as long as it's more than 75 days out) cost free.

If you are sure when you want to travel Early Saver is the way to book.

If you do have to cancel there is a $50 per passenger fee that is kept by Carnival.

Any other money you may have paid is held by Carnival and can be used when you book another cruise.

Also only with Early Saver can you receive on board credit if the price drops.

We have been on 2 Carnival cruises and did Early Saver both times. We are like Meatloafsfan. Once we book, we are going on the cruise for sure! With both of our cruises, the prices ended up only going up, up, and up, so I was glad we got the lower rate. Even though we paid for price protection that we didn't end up getting to use, I was glad we would have had it, had we needed to use it.

We always cruise as a family (me, husband, and 2 kids), so there is never a chance of name change.

The only reason we would ever cancel would be due to something catrostrophic (health, death in family, etc), and in that case we would just use the deposit (less fee) towards a future cruise.

So far our dates have always been set (spring break doesn't change) and people have been set so we have done well with ES. But the next one we are considering with other family I am more hesitant- I can imagine a variety of last minute changes so we may not.

We always book Early Saver, unless we book really last minute, and have usually gotten price drops even as late at a couple of days before sailing. Just remember the restrictions and you'll be fine. Cancellations after final payment are the same as with any other rate.

I'm getting ready to book a cruise and was going to go with the early saver rate but last week on one of the threads I read a comment that said something about the person "only making that mistake once" when referring to booking the ES rate.

Thank you!!

I am not sure I would call it a "mistake" - but depending on how many folks are cruising it could be a bit costly. My DH and I had planned on going on a B2B with some folks we had cruised with before. Unfortunately our plans changed drasticly and we lost $200. But on the plus side, we switched over to a shorty (which was almost no cost after credit was applied) and our Dream cruise. For the Dream we were able to meet up with friends that we met right here five years ago. Had a great time and was worth it in the long run.

You can check out my photo shots by using the link in my signature.

Have a great cruise.

Laurie

Thank you!!

If you can book last-minute, resident, returning guest rates or if you qualify for senior rates you can SOMETIMES get even better deals than Early Saver although these rates are pretty much the luck of the draw. It all comes down to how flexible you are with your travel plans/dates.

In September 2011 we booked 2 cruises: A 7-day Carnival Splendor cruise for January 2012 and a 28-day Holland America Statendam Panama Canal cruise for November 2011. The 7-day Carnival Splendor cruise set us back a whopping $519.10 for the 2 of us after all was said and done and the 28-day Holland America Panama Canal cruise was $2717.20 for the 2 of us and that was in a Verandah Suite! Both prices include taxes and port fees and they also take into consideration shareholder benefit onboard credit plus other incentive/promotional credits that the cruiselines applied.

Like I said, if you have some flexibility with your travel plans/dates, you can save a bundle! Any questions, just ask.

Early saver is great and we have used it for the past 4 cruises. Just make sure you know all the rules. I love watching for price drops and getting credit!

Me too!! We have been booking ES since it was introduced... no worries, no problems, we usually book a ways ahead. We only had to change once, we had a cruise booked for 2/2011 with our 2DD, oldest DD found out she was Expecting, and would be too far along (by 2 weeks!!!) so we had to CX their Cabin on our Feb Cruise and (darn) had to Book one for 4 weeks earlier... no problem, we knew the rules when we booked, ~~AND I got an extra cruise...cuz 'We" still went in Feb...minus the 'kids'! :)

Like someone else said, the only 'down side' is not knowing what the rules are...then fussing about it later....

If you know the rules and are fine with it...then is a Great Deal IMO

I don't know what the other person meant, but the only real downside I see is that it is not refundable. Otherwise, it is a great way to guarantee that you get the absolute lowest price.

I'm not really sure what I meant either....guess it was a bit too early :eek:

We prefer to book. I like the option of getting the reduced fare. Our May 2010 cruise was booked ES and I had to pay the $50 fee twice (x2). Well, didn't have to. Once because my family was going to take a trip and our cruise conflicted so I changed. Then when they all canceled - I changed back to the day orginially planned since it was Eastern Carb and not Western.

I knew going into that there was the change fee. So no complaints. We won't see anything it seems for our June trip because even with the price drops due to Costa - it isn't as great as our ES price. But I still check daily. If the upsell fairy calls, we might take her up on a good $ ;)

The cruise I have booked for October, I booked on a Past Guest rate to save a certain cabin we would want. I plan to switch that rate to ES when I am sure we can both go.;)

Impressive tip!

Thanks for sharing.

My new strategy.

Thank you!!

Non refundable

Non changeable

Only advantage is that any price drops occur in the last 70 days and you catch them you can get them, other than that there is no reason to book ES. (Everyone can get price adjustments up until the day final payment is due.)

I did not book ES for my upcoming cruise. I saw a price drop and put in for a price adjustment. I got this in reply:

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

Your Early Saver price protection request has been denied. Our record shows that booking number 616QP0 is a non early saver booking.

So, I guess if you don't book ES, the price protection only works before your final payment?

Correct. You only get price protection after final payment if you book early saver. Until final payment, you get the better price.

Archived