Children anxious about cruising

hettman8

Hello! We are a family of nine planning our first family cruise. My husband and I have been on two previous cruises but this will be the first time for all seven of our children. Two of our sons (ages 10 & 7) are very leary of cruising. They keep coming up with different scenarios which make them feel anxious and scared to cruise. One of their biggest fears of course is falling overboard. No matter how many times I discuss the improbability of this happening to them, they still can't seem to stop feeling anxious.

I'm wondering if I could get input from anyone who has had a child/children with similar reservations about going on their first cruise? Was there anything you said or did to help them move past the fear and onto looking foward to an enjoyable vacation?

I would also love for my sons to read for themselves what other kids like so much about cruising. Those of you who cruise frequently with your children, could you please tell us everything that makes it an awesome vacation? (I already know that it will be, it's my two young sons who need the convincing;))

Thanks in advance for the help!

Are there older siblings that may be fueling the 'fire'?

Id set the two down and remind them that you would Never put them in a Dangerous Situation and that today Cruise ships are Very Safe. Remind them that when Children follow the rules, ie: No Running, No Climbing on Rails or other Object that are not desinged for Play, No Leaning Thru Saftey Rails, No Going in Anyones Room, etc, then They Stay Safe. If they go into KidsClub, the Staff are there to 'protect' them and they Will have a Great time.

REmind them that The Chance of Falling OverBoard, is Not likely, since there are Saftey Rails and of course they will not be climbing or leaning over or thru them (because they are followoing the rules) then they will be fine.

Assure them that the Captian is very good at sailing the Ship and will keep them Safe as he does his job. (and even if they have not said anything) remind them that todays Cruise Ships are Very Large and are desinged to Safely Float in the Ocean. Basicly that that ship is Not going to sink.

Since they are already nervous, I would also prepare them for MusterDrill, which can be frightening to children. Let them know this is just like a "Fire Drill' at school, its 'just in case' and "Mostly so the Crew would know what to do if there was an emergency", but again, the chance of that is so small, that you, as the parents are not at all worried.

just remember NOT to tell them 'oh your being silly' -- if they persist with 'what if I fall overboard?" tell them, Then I'd Jump right in and Save YOU!!! :)

Where did they get the idea that they are likely to "fall overboard"? Do you have a deck or railing at your home? Ask them if they've ever "fallen off" of that!

I would simply tell them that it's nearly impossible to fall...and if they are afraid of that, to stay away from the railings!

You may want to go to your "Roll Call" for your ship and sailing, and see if there are other families with kids the same age...perhaps they could start being "pen pals" with some of their future cruisemates!

Also show them pictures of the ship, anything you can find..

they may have a picture in their mind of a ship that looks more like an AirCraft Carrier (heck, *Id* be worried about falling off on of those) ;)

Show them that there are saftey rails all around the ship.

CIMG0039.jpg.fb5abe07a9a630862c6cd1f4ee17e2c3.jpg

DSC03037.jpg.bc2acab78f6d4ad5d66a3d4f650e920a.jpg

DSC03023.jpg.0eafa9e57ffa80249f53cacaa93d5dc7.jpg

I have one or two of these anxious children and actually find that sometimes stopping talking about it helps. You can't change an irrational fear.

Appears you have not yet booked a cruise. Why not book it, and wait a while to discuss it with your children? By that time, you may find they've gotten over it.

Sometimes, you just have to let them see for themselves that everything will be o.k.

Tell your kids, they don't have to go on the promenade level, and the ship is like a house, you are inside all the time, or on port days walk off the ship on the dock and start exploring.

When on the ship, show them where the exits are, how to get outside, and tell them, they don't have to be close to the railing.

Since the part below the wooden railings is clear in some areas - I had a hard time keeping my 2 & then 3 year old away from the railings - he loved watching the water - especially near bouys, tug boats, & other boats.

I would quit talking about it if they are anxious. Book the cruise let them see for themselves when the time comes.

You could also try casual comments in conversations like, "when we're on the cruise you'll be able to walk right up and order an ice cream, all by yourself". Or, "you can get your pizza for lunch and sit and eat it right by the pool".... and then change the subject. In other words, just insert casual positive comments into various conversations and then move on. Once they see the size of the ship I'm sure a lot of anxiety will disappear.

Our oldest is an anxious child, if there's a disaster possible he will think of it ;). He was 5 when we took our first cruise, and what we did was first talk about all the fun stuff to do together. Then we let him explore some of NCLs website, showing the different areas of the ship. We talked about what to do Jin an emergency, but in the context of the whole trip, e.g. Know your cabin number, parents first and last names etc. then once on board we went to the muster drill early because he is the type who wants time to look and examine everything...so we let him. After that he was assured this was going to be a fun trip. Honestly once they see the huge ship, get their ship card with their name on it, get on board, they are so overwhelmed with options that they don't have time to be anxious!

Back in May 2006 my daughter felt the same way as we were getting ready for her first cruise.. She actually wrote her own thread (fraidy car) about being afraid and got all kinds of great advise...it seems its not only kids who are afraid of their first cruise-there are lots of adults also. Once she set foot on board she was almost completely over all fears...it think its more a fear of the unknown. you might want to go back to read that thread and let your child know that she has since been on several cruises and LOVES it! No ship sinking, no falling over board, no waves rocking the boat over...just lots of fun fun fun

Archived