Kids on Panama Canal Cruise - Good or Bad Idea?

Mum81

I have been reading the threads here in regards to NCL Panama Canal cruises.

From what I have read, I am assuming that there is an overall older demographic on board, and not many children at all. Am I assuming correct?

I would love to hear from anyone who has taken children on a panama canal cruise and what their experience was.

I'm looking at going from LA to Miami which is 14 nights with a 4 year old (who would be 5 then) and I would like to know:

1. Do they run full kids club facilities? Are the staff still happy to run the kids club for a small number of children or are they seen as an inconvenience?

2. My son is well behaved and very adult like (only child!), but will we be "frowned upon" by the other guests for taking a child on this type of cruise?

3. If you have done this cruise, did having less children on board make it better or worse? eg. Did your kids love it because they had most of the slides, kids pools etc to themselves or were they bored with no other kids to play with?

4. And finally, will it be warm enough to swin at all in January? Some for my ignorance on this one, I'm from Australia.

I look forward to any feedback/comments/suggestions you have.

Thankyou :)

The main reason there are so few kids on board is these trips are typically in April/May one way and Sept/Oct the other direction as NCL repos ships to/from Alaska or MR so most kids are in school. Also, they run usually a minimum of 10 days so if you were going to take kids out of school they are going to miss close to two weeks.

Everything should be operational as far as kids clubs but they may group the kids together into fewer groups if there aren't many for one age bracket. They will also tend to do more group events with the kids.

I've been through the PC and it is very interesting and a worthwhile trip if you can wing it.

It looks like you are looking at the Star? The Star has a great kids pool/slide/hot tub area of its own on the back of the ship which is perfect for someone 5 years old. It is a bit isolated for a parent but great for smaller kids. There is also a slide by the main pool. The pool water temps are kept in the mid 80s F from what I recall.

The main reason there are so few kids on board is these trips are typically in April/May one way and Sept/Oct the other direction as NCL repos ships to/from Alaska or MR so most kids are in school. Also, they run usually a minimum of 10 days so if you were going to take kids out of school they are going to miss close to two weeks.

Everything should be operational as far as kids clubs but they may group the kids together into fewer groups if there aren't many for one age bracket. They will also tend to do more group events with the kids.

I've been through the PC and it is very interesting and a worthwhile trip if you can wing it.

I'm glad to hear that's he only reason there aren't many kids onboard. It works perfectly for us, as school doesn't go back here until late Jan/early Feb.

Strange as it sounds, I think this cruise will interest my son just as much as us. His favourite TV shows are "Mega Structures" and "Engineering Disasters", not Playschool and Sesame Sreet. :D

We traveled on cruises with our son when he was 3, 4 and 5 all over Europe and the Caribbean before he was in regular school. We always found that there were lots of kids around and the kids clubs were more fun with fewer children. Our son too loved to sit on the balcony and watch as we went through the canal..

I hope you have a great time.

We did Panama Cana with 8 and 10 year old boys a few years back. It was amazing. Not many kids on board so they were treated like kings. Get an aft cabin and go through the canal from your deck. It is unforgettable and the kids will love the history and experience. yes- the kids clubs were open as usual.

Speaking from having been on a PC cruise, it is an older group, but I can't see anyone having a problem with having a child on the cruise. In fact, I think it would liven it up a bit. :D

We traveled in April and it was quite warm (30-35 degrees Celcius) with quite a bit of humidity. I'm not sure what it will be like in January.

2. My son is well behaved and very adult like (only child!), but will we be "frowned upon" by the other guests for taking a child on this type of cruise?

If anyone thinks less of you for taking a kid on this cruise, that's their problem. The heck with them. I think it sounds like a great idea given your description of your son.

There were children on our PC cruise but not many. Due to the length of this cruise plus travel time, this cruise attracts an older crowd. On our cruise, we also met a lot of very seasoned travelers. They shared great stories of the many places they had visited. This is not a cruise that attracts first time cruisers.

You likely will also not be the only group from Australia. We chatted with a group of people from Australia on our PC cruise that had traveled and seen more in the states more than most Americans.

Have a great trip!!! Your well behaved child will be a welcome addition to the cruise.

Take the trip!

Even at 5, it will be an educational experience that your son will remember for a lifetime.

Teach him the history of the canal prior to your transit and even the grumpiest old man will soften when he hears a 5 year old ask " Dad, is this Gatun lock or Mira Flores?"

on the roll call for my upcoming PC cruise so far their is only one couple who are bringing children (in their teens) i dont see anything wrong with it. the family also happens to from australia as well. i would be more worried about how the kids will perceive the cruise, not how other passengers will perceive the kids.

i say this because it will be a older more mature crowd, fewer kids, and most of the entertainment will be geared that way

Hi

We went to Panama Canal 08 with Disney Cruise.

My kids aged 8, and 10.

They enjoyed it and it was good experience for kids to see Panama Canal.

PC was really awesome but long day. it was worthing.

We went in May 08 and we took kids out of school for 3 half weeks...:p But we got told that not to doing that again in future.:eek:

it was high recommended and I would love to go back to PC...

Scottishwee35

Thanks for the support from everyone. Your comments were very reassuring. :)

I did assume that there would be no planned family acitivites outside of the kids club, but that's what the kids club is for. On our last cruise we practically had to drag our son by the ear (just kidding!) out of the kids club just to get him to eat and sleep.

I will definately take your advice on reading up on the history of the canal prior - not just for our son, but for us as well.

Better think about making that booking......

Archived