Off menu room service possible?

ChansonDeLaMer

A word of caution, the answer is

"Maybe yes maybe no"

It all depends on the ship, the staff , etc.

Yes I have asked for one item different at breakfast and received it, asked for something off dining room lunch menu at lunch time and been refused "only those items listed in the book in your cabin"

Asked for a Cookies (Biscuits in English) with hot milk at "bedtime", received cold milk, and no food.

Time taken, again luck of the draw, have asked for Hamburger at l.30p.m (lunchtime ) and have been told it would take "55 minutes."

So its the luck of the draw.

Personally and this is only my opinion based on more than several cruises with Cunard, I would use room service only for a "pre snack" (in order to take my medications with food in private), and use the dining room( or Buffet for Breakfast) diningroom, Golden Lion Pub or "coffee cafe" for lunch. For dinner it would have to be dining room, buffet or alternative dining areas with payment.

A word of caution, the answer is

"Maybe yes maybe no"

It all depends on the ship, the staff , etc.

Yes I have asked for one item different at breakfast and received it, asked for something off dining room lunch menu at lunch time and been refused "only those items listed in the book in your cabin"

Asked for a Cookies (Biscuits in English) with hot milk at "bedtime", received cold milk, and no food.

Time taken, again luck of the draw, have asked for Hamburger at l.30p.m (lunchtime ) and have been told it would take "55 minutes."

So its the luck of the draw.

Personally and this is only my opinion based on more than several cruises with Cunard, I would use room service only for a "pre snack" (in order to take my medications with food in private), and use the dining room( or Buffet for Breakfast) diningroom, Golden Lion Pub or "coffee cafe" for lunch. For dinner it would have to be dining room, buffet or alternative dining areas with payment.

I had some requests that were not off the regular breakfast room service menu. After a few times trying I called the Hotel Director's office and simply stated that these were simple requests. Why was it so hard to get something different.

That night the Princess Grill room service menus appeared with a letter.

I called the HM and sent a thank you.

I believe we need to "really" speak up with Cunard and make our requests in a respectful way!

I certainly agree that passengers must "speak up" if Cunard is to keep up standards.

My experience is in Britannia grade cabins I have never traveled in the Grills (I travel solo),

It is good to know that you did get results, I have said before on this board,

We receive the standard of service that we are "willing to accept without protesting" Why would a staff member (or Cruise line) provide To grade service if its passengers are willing to accept "bottom grade" without protest.?

I am always appalled when I read that people on this board, passengers who have cruised with Cunard in the past are willing to accept:

Poorly cleaned cabins,

Cabins still uncleaned at mid afternoon

Entrees that are served barely warm or even cold

Service so slow at dinner that it takes 2 1/2 hours without even reaching coffee stage.

No Protest - "I am on vacation so why complain " or "did not want to cause staff a problem" and same people still give Full Auto tip, because not to do so means you are a "cheapskate"

Poor service is a quandary on a holiday. While part of me doesn't want to get involved with the usual stresses that come with work, on a holiday, that can lead to normal standards not being met. A couple of years ago we stayed at a five star resort in Indonesia. We had been at the beach the whole day and when we came back at 5pm the room had not been serviced. We called housekeeping and because of language difficulty, the guy arrived with an iron! Manuel from Fawtly Towers. Showed this guy the room and he checked the housekeeping list and said it had been serviced at 2pm. They refused to accept we had not had it serviced because it had been marked on the list. So, we stripped the bed and collected the towels and trundled our way to reception. That seemed to do the trick.

I have looked at the room service menu and for a snack it seems fine. I guess you could also make your way to Kings court and discretely remove a plate with food.

Personally I only use the buffet on embarkation day, and as I explained in another post, I always select a shrimp (or tuna if no shrimp) sandwich , a desert or fruit and take the tray down to my cabin to eat it is peace. I do travel solo, which makes "snagging" a table difficult.

Archived