Zip lining pro or con?

werewolf

I'm also interested in this topic. Travelling with DH, two teenage DS, and teenage DD. I've looked at the zipline in St. Kitts as well as St. Lucia. The St. Lucia zipline has more "lines" than St. Kitts, however, I like the automatic braking system in St. Kitts, seems safer. Thanks in advance for any comments.

I have zipped twice and loved it.....once in San Juan and once in roatan....it was great......safe is relative as there have been accidents..... But I did feel safe....research your spot and read reviews and see how others liked the zip line company.....have fun! And let's know if you do it.....

I've gone four times - they have safety equipment and I've never seen any accidents. It's really a thrill - I think everybody who's able-bodied should do it at least once. There's usually a steep climb to the first platform but then it's easier. St. Lucia's is really fun, my 2nd favorite.

We went while in Belize a few years ago and had a great time. Would I do it again, probably but not something that I HAVE to do again. It was a very safe operation, very knowledgeable staff and safe equipment. It's not something that my parents (they are in their 60s but live life to the fullest!) would necessarily do nor would I suggest that either of them do it but that is just my IHO.

We have done zip-lining three times. The first was in Zihuatenejo, Mexico and was lame. We weren't up high enough for anyone to get scared!

Now the ones in Costa Rica and St. Kitts were both fantastic! Felt very safe and enjoyed those immensely!

I absolutely loved it. I did it in Costa Rica. There is a lot of climbing involved. Your teenagers will really like it. The actual time spent zipping is not much but I was extremely proud of myself at the end- no other way to describe it. I conquered my fears!

We've gone twice, Roatan and (really spectacular) Costa Rica. We're in our sixties but we're pretty fit and active. No problem at all and I'm sure we will do it again.

I felt safe both times and well taken care of. Some zip lines require more climbing or active participation, like rapelling or rope walks/ladders.

Enjoy!

We did it in Costa Rica, the place we went to (used a cruise shore ex, something I usually don't do but I couldn't match the price on my own) didn't require much climbing at all. The first two or three sections were fairly short and you had the option to quit at that point if you wanted to. After that the segments got longer and you were higher off the ground.

It was fun and I'm glad I tried it but I don't think I'd do go out of my way to do it again. It wasn't frightening at all.

Some of them require a lot of climbing the one I did in roatan had a lot of climbing....it would be hard hard for someone not in reasonable shape....and it had several really long lines....so plan accordingly..also people have been hurt and even killed so it is an activity with some risk......have fun! I would do it again.....

I was very hesitant 2 years ago in St Lucia and it was great! I am in my mid 40's. We loved it so much that we are going in Costa Rica next month. There was quite a few steps in St Lucia to climb but it was well worth it and is very safe! Hope you go and have a great time! :)

We went to Hotel Golfo Vista in Costa Rica--spectacular zip-line with around 25 lines and two rappelling sections (harder, but not that bad) over stunning waterfalls and jungle. Loved it.

We picked up the tour off the ship, right at the dock, but we had heard about it on these boards and knew we'd probably be able to do that. It incuded transportation and a good Costa Rican meal. Best part--there were only 4 on our tour. We caught up with a larger group the last few lines.

The hotel also has other activities like ATV's, rock climbing, horse back riding, hiking, etc.

We also did one in Roatan (called 'Pirates?' I think) that was much shorter but still fun. They had several kind of challenging rope or plank walks as well as the zipping.

Be sure to check on this. It was 235lbs in Costa Rica and we were surprised it was that low, and DH was not able to go. Our personal opinion was that it was not one of those things to lie about, we take the safety precautions seriously.

I zip lined in puerto Vallarta a couple of years ago. I asked the staff member,"How often do you change the cables?" His reply was, "We change them every time they break". He then started to laugh. I had a awesome time that day and would do it again in a minute. The staff was well trained, professional, and made sure every guest had a great time.

I was very hesitant 2 years ago in St Lucia and it was great! I am in my mid 40's. We loved it so much that we are going in Costa Rica next month. There was quite a few steps in St Lucia to climb but it was well worth it and is very safe! Hope you go and have a great time! :)

Are we rappelling? Thats a bonus! Haven't done that in a long time! :D

Yes, I've ziplined three times. I really recommend Clip-n-Zip in Roatan (Mahogany Bay). We've also ziplined in St. Lucia (Treetop Adventure Park) and Cozumel (Adventure park - not really ziplining between the trees, but rock walls).

I recommend doing your research and going with a reliable company.

I say this because my 3rd grade teacher was paralyzed ziplining in Costa Rica. I don't know what exactly happened (now that I've been ziplining, I can guess), but she smacked into a tree and was left paralyzed from the waist down... really bad freak incident.

We have been three times, twice in St. Kitts with the Celebrity shore excursion, and once in Costa Rica at Turubari. We are in our late 50s and absolutely love it! Turubari was awesome. They have a Superman zip that is almost a mile long. You lay on your stomach to do it! And they have a Tarzan swing that is 80 feet high - kind of like a bungee jump.

Carole

I have only zip-lined once, at Whistler.

For me, zip lining certainly wasn't as exciting as skydiving (now, that's a rush) or from what I've heard bungee jumping is like (funny that I'm too scared to do this). By the time we did our 6th line, I was glad it was coming to an end.

Depending on where you are zip lining, there is generally little exertion with exception to walking up stairs to the platforms.

Glad I did it once, but wouldn't bother doing it again.

I have gone four times... In fact they just built a new zipline a mile away from my house. The first time was in St. Marten and it was not the safest and required the most climing, the next time was at Forever Florida near Kississmee and I have gone there twice (it was only scaffolding :( ). The last time was in Belize and that was probably the most fun as it was from really high trees.

Archived