worried about family suite

munchkin002

Hi Everyone,

We have cruised 2 times before, 2004 on the Dawn in a Mini Suite with balcony and Pearl 2011, booked Mini Suite with balcony but were upsold to a 2 bedroom family suite with balcony. LOVED that room! Just booked a Family Suite on the Star for November 2012. The family suites on the Star do not have a balcony. The cost to move up to a balcony suite is alot more than we can spend.

I have read reviews here about the star that were of course both good and bad. I try not to take any review so seriously. I am wondering if spending the money on the Family Suite is worth it? Looking for anyone who has stayed in these rooms to give an "honest" reveiw!!!

Thanks and have a great day!:)

Sorry haven't stayed in a family suite but have heard wonderful reviews about them. I wouldn't give up my balcony, but that is a personal want and there are only the 2 of us.

It might help the responders to know a few things like, how many are you cruising with and ages if their are children? Whether suite perks are important to you?

As for the Star, we loved it. Nothing stands out in my mind in a negative way at all. Was there anything in particular you read in the negative reviews that is worrisome to you. Of course I'm not talking about subjective things like food and shows, since if you were satisfied with those on the 2 NCL cruises you were on then the Star would be equivalent. We've sailed the Dawn pre-drydock and the Star post-drydock and except for minor changes like the spinnaker move and blue lagoon upgrade and move, shops moved. It was pretty hard to tell the difference between them.

We stayed in a Family Suite on the Dawn and can't think of a single negative thing about the suite. As long as the absence of a private balcony is not a deal breaker, the room is tremendous. Lots of space, a great view plus a butler. You are only a few steps away from the pool deck too.

We stayed in a Family Suite on the Dawn and can't think of a single negative thing about the suite. As long as the absence of a private balcony is not a deal breaker, the room is tremendous. Lots of space, a great view plus a butler. You are only a few steps away from the pool deck too.

Yeppers.

I have read raves about the family suites, with the floor to ceiling windows and great views. I wouldn't worry about the balcony.

Have a wonderful time!

Yeppers.

If you do not need a balcony, the Star/Dawn family suites are one of the best rooms on the ship. They layout is superb and the extra space to move about is incredible. Other than the garden villa, I would take the family suite every time.

Yeppers.

We stayed in SJ suite on the Star and loved it. It was all we could afford (it would have costed us $1000 more to have the SG with balcony), and we had an excellent time spoiling ourselves. It was a relaxing week for us.

Breakfast and lunch at Cagneys could not be beaten!

If you have kids, go for it!

Four of us (all 60 something adults) shared family suite 12018 on the Star for the pacific coastal cruise. We loved the family suite and would not hesitate to book one again. Larry and I have previously cruised in balcony, mini suite, front facing penthouse, stern balcony and stern penthouse staterooms on NCL and rank the family suite up towards the top of the list.

The four of us have booked one of the Star family suites with balcony for the Caribbean out of New Orleans next year. I was able to book it with fairly reasonable pricing but if not would have happily gone ahead and booked a family suite without balcony.

While we didn't stay in one, there was a family suite on our cabin crawl ;). After comparing, we were very happy to have chosen the mini suite, because the balcony is very important to us. We were 2 adults, 2 children under 6 and it was perfect for us. The floor to ceiling windows just don't cut it for us.

Archived