HAL cruiser switching to RCCL EOS needs help

With HAL pulling out of NY and we don't wish the hassles of flying to FL (been there, done that), we are going to try RCCL out of NJ. I would like to know what differences we would notice switching to EOS.

We sailed on the Nordam and the Eurodam balcony. I'm considering a D2 mid ship balcony. HAL is an older, non party group on the whole, how is RCCL in this area.

We've always enjoyed the food in the MDR. Is there much difference in the food served?

If there is something real different between the two lines, I'd appreciate the heads up:)

You will get LOTS of opinions on this. Let me start by saying I love RCI. However, we took my Aunt on Navigator a few years ago... she is a loyal HAL cruiser, and she was not a fan of Navigator. Did not like paying extra for things, did not like the larger ship, did not like the food quality, the lack of things like baked Alaska.

I have not cruised HAL, but my impression from my Aunt is that that the lines are quite different. Good luck with whatever you choose, and welcome to RCI. :)

We have sailed both lines and would go with Royal Caribbean but have friends that traveled with us last time that like HAL better. It was so funny we like the food better on RC they liked it on HAL. Just go with an open mind when ever you try another line.

Several important differences that I noticed- others can give other opinions - you can decide which is important to you.

1. The bathrooms on the Explorer are miniscule - there's no shower over a tub - only a tiny shower.

2. The Explorer is a much larger ship - at least 1,000 more passengers.

3. I think the food on HAL is far superior to that on RCI. This is me, but on HAL I often can't decide which of 3 or 4 entrees to have; on RCI sometimes I can't find one entree to have. Also, the quality of the meat is significantly better.

4. The nightlife on RCI is better. On RCI there are activities that first start at 11:30 p.m. On HAL, they're winding down at 11:30 p.m.

5. On HAL you can bring on board as much wine, soda, bottled water that you want. RCI doesn't allow any beverages to be brought on board.

6. I found the service to be equal on both lines - with a little edge to some of the MTD waiters on RCI.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the information. We're pretty flexable in all areas. We don't have much choice if we are not going to fly. Just can't do the hassle. I think we'll just have to jump in and look at all the positives. Looking forward to just cruising. :D

We cruise both lines and actually like the food and dining room service better on RCL. While there may be more going on later in the evening, it will still be quiet in your cabin unless of course you get really unlucky. It is not one big drunken party by any means.

Oh, the public restrooms have paper hand towels.

If there is something real different between the two lines, I'd appreciate the heads up:)

I have sailed both. Loved each.

HAL in my experience, mostly older sophisticated crowd.

RCI more diverse ages, from 1 YOs to 80 YOs and all in between.

More activities on RCI.

We sail both lines and like both although they are quite different.

RCI tends to be a bit less expensive.

Cabins are bigger on HAL (until you get to top end Royal Suite vs Penthouse Suite) and HAL beds are the most comfortable I have found on any cruise line.

IMHO, HAL is more about the cruise, RCI is more about a vacation at sea. On RCI you often forget you are at sea.

Evening entertainment is better on RCI and if you are in a suite the Concierge lounge is better than the Neptune lounge on HAL.

I would say try it. If you don't like it or it doesn't suit then don't do it again :)

Unless you go Christmas week, New Year's week, Easter Week, or summer Bermuda season, the Explorer in November, December, January, February, March offers real bargains versus the prices of their other ships -- it's priced somewhere in between the huge discounts of a transatlantic cruise and the off-season rates in general. I guess the reasoning is that they have to keep the prices down in order to attract people who are willing to embark and disembark in winter and spend up to five sea days during their cruise because of the distances involved.

We find that in the off-seasons, and the longer 10 night or longer cruises, the crowd tends to be more elderly and subdued.

Younger families with children tend to board during school holidays and when the ship does 7 night cruises.

In this day and age, being able to board a ship without flying there first is an absolute luxury, in our opinion. This fact alone makes the comparison between the two lines insignificant.

NCL also homeports in Manhattan proper, and we have also taken and enjoyed these cruises.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks for reminding me about the 10day and longer cruises having a more mature passenger. I'm so glad that I have a venue to receive such good comments. Always have gotten feed back that is right on target. I know that everyone has different taste in food, so I'm wasn't too concerned about the food. I guess I was just really concerned about it being a real party ship. Thanks for relieving my fears.

We're looking at the December 3rd date to the Eastern Carb. Never been to Dominican Republic or the private island and will most likely stay on ship, but looking forward to PR. We toured Old SJ and would like to get out further into the country side. I'm hoping DH's knee surgery recoup is completed by then. This is his fourth time on the same knee. He's just lucky:rolleyes: We really go for the cruising not the ports.

We started out with HAL and then tried Carnival, Princess, Norweigan and RCCL. Every line is similar and yet different. You can find good and bad in all of them. Our Norweigan cruise was on the Norway and if you wanted to complain, that would be the ship to complain about. It was also the oldest ship so it was a classic.

I would definitely give RCCl a try and save the airfare. We are doing Balt for the first time to save having that flight. The worst case is that you might decide that you would prefer to pay for the flight to a HAL ship.

As most have said, it really depends. I am in the same situation re.: going to FLL and next month will doing my first RCL out of Galveston (nice since I'm in Austin).

I've done 6 HAL's, all SC or above (no, we are not rich...we like suites and will cruise less often in exchange for the better room). Our RCL is an OS.

The wife has done both and has warned me:

1. Suite perks are probably better on HAL, especially the free laundry all week. We also like the binoculars and umbrella…nice touch since we always forget those. The reserved seating on RCL is going to be nice, though.

2. There will be way more kids, especially spring break week when we normally go (wife is a teacher).

3. There will be a younger crowd, and hence, probably more smokers, if this bothers you.

4. Everything, everywhere will probably be louder.

5. All things being equal the passenger / crew ratio appears better on HAL.

6. King sized beds in HAL suites, queen most RCL.

7. Way more shipboard activities on RCL.

8. Wife says food is better on HAL, but that is very subjective.

9. I guess since RCL caters to a younger crowd they feel the need to enforce their policy against bringing liquids on board with greater stringency than does HAL, but the whole “Naughty Room” concept cracks me up. The wife really likes to bring a bottle of wine or two, and HAL has never raised an eyebrow. My understanding is that the RCL “Booze Police” can be quite aggressive.

10. I smoke a cigar or two on the balcony each cruise. I am courteous and if I see someone else out on their deck prior to my arriving, I don’t start. I see many others do this on HAL. In fact, on my last cruise, the fellow next door and I swapped stogies. It appears from these boards that many RCL passengers consider this activity a mortal sin.

11. CL vs. Neptune looks to be a wash, though I am looking forward to comparing. The coffee in the Neptune Lounge on HAL is fantastic.

12. Again subjective, but it looks like RCL may have more interesting itineraries, though it may be because they have more ships. We have pretty much been there done all of that that can be done in 7 days on HAL from N. America.

Nonetheless, being able to skip the flight to FLL during spring break? Priceless.

Trout

Archived