Getting service from customer service???

1straveler

I am cruising the Caribbean on the Spirit in just over a week. Since September I have been in contact with "customer service" about a request for a premium rum in my cabin. I initially contacted them by phone and was told to put my request in writing. I received a response that they needed more specifics in terms of brands and quantities. This seemed to be a reasonable request and I responded to both immediately giving them options. They thanked me for the request and said they would get back with me and let me know if there was an additional charge, no problem. Since the end of September I have made repeated calls even as late as last week attempting to find out if I was going to receive a premium rum or if I needed to bring my own. I continue to be told we will get back with you.

This isn't a big deal but I am frustrated with the lack of responsiveness compared to when I first started cruising with Seabourn just a few years ago. It is almost as though if we don't deal with issues they will just go away.

We also requested an aged sipping rum for our bar set up (I suggested Ron Zacapa because it is readily available in my local liquor stores and "moderately" priced). May I asked what brand you requested and will you follow up and let us know what you end up receiving? Our cruise isn't until May so I am curious.

I would think it helps that you are traveling to the Carribean as opposed to Europe as we will be.

Rum is becoming more popular here in the States so I hope we will not have a problem.

Thanks and good luck (and happy travels).

Chef chick, I hope you have more success than I had. I requested Zaya, 15 year old El Dorado, or 10 Cane in that order. My last cruise I asked for a premium rum and after being told it was not available, the next day they mysteriously found a bottle of Pyrat. I had requested premium rum before my cruise following the process Seabourn told me, but to no avail. The previous year I took a bottle of Zaya to the Med with me realizing rums would be limited in that area as I could not find any in the port liquor stores when I traveled there before. I have not tried the route of having the TA intervene. I will probably go to a local store in St. Thomas and pick up a bottle before we depart. It will not go to waste. By the way, I like your choice of Ron Zacapa.

As sipping rums become more and more popular perhaps the cruise lines will stock more than the standard Bacardis and captain Morgans of the world.

We rum drinkers have to stick together. I just read my thread above and realize my IPad "re typed" from one rum drinker to antler (supposed to be another obviously).....geez, and I havent even had my rum yet today :)

Chef chick, shame on you. I am about to have my second. I have had the conversation with Seabourn for years, clearly not high enough, that there are many scotch choices aboard and even premium vodkas, but when it comes to rum you get the $10 brands. Alas, I will enjoy another Zaya.

My husband and I scored a bottle of 15 year old El Dorado when we were in Bequia back in November. That is some fine sipping rum. Of course now, I want to try the 21 year old El Dorado. I had never heard of the brand until we were in the Caribbean and now I want it over all the regular stuff you find in US liquor stores.

Well, we have to replenish our supply. I just drank the last of the bottle of El Dorado we bought in Bequia at a little grocery store near the pier. Fat chance I'll find it in rural NC, but I did manage to find Armenian brandy in rural GA when we lived there... I guess you never know. I'll probably have to resort to ordering online. :p

So, the customer service saga continues. I recieved a call from customer service who left a message that one of the rums I requested would be in my cabin but there was a $113.98 up charge. I was shocked since I can purchase each of the rums I suggested for about $30.00 anywhere.

Several hours later I recieved an email from the original customer service agent I contacted in September who stated that El Dorado Special Reserve would be waiting for me in my cabin. There was no mention of additional cost. I again contacted customer service today who told me that the agent who called me was mistaken and there would be no additional cost and wished me a great cruise. So all ends well, but the time, five months and the amount of correspondence to solve a simple issue is amazing. By the way, I did not hear anything back from them until I posted this thread. Anyone on the February 17th Spirit sailing, I will be glad to share my El Dorado Special Reserve.:)

Just a heads up for those who might be traveling to Barbados. In 2011 we took a Windstar cruise that originated there and toured a plantation and rum distilary - St. Nicholas Abbey. The grounds were lovely, but the rum ROCKED! They have a special reserve which wasn't cheap (I believe approximately $80/bottle) but the bottle was engraved right on the spot with our names and the rum inside was extremely tasty. We're were sorry to finish that one as you can only buy it there. They do say if you bring the bottle back they will refill it at a discount, so we might HAVE to take another trip someday :D

Wow, the Carribean sounds awfully nice right now...

• 1 year later...

Hello rum drinkers. Just a newbie to drinking rum neat, and have started on Captain Morgans Spiced Rum. I'm hoping I'll be able to get this on board? Can you suggest what other types of rum I could drink neat (and is very good) - of course they'd need to stock it....otherwise I'll just have to sick to my normal drink of choice - dry martinis with Bombay Saffire gin!

I am cruising the Caribbean on the Spirit in just over a week. Since September I have been in contact with "customer service" about a request for a premium rum in my cabin. I initially contacted them by phone and was told to put my request in writing. I received a response that they needed more specifics in terms of brands and quantities. This seemed to be a reasonable request and I responded to both immediately giving them options. They thanked me for the request and said they would get back with me and let me know if there was an additional charge, no problem. Since the end of September I have made repeated calls even as late as last week attempting to find out if I was going to receive a premium rum or if I needed to bring my own. I continue to be told we will get back with you.

This isn't a big deal but I am frustrated with the lack of responsiveness compared to when I first started cruising with Seabourn just a few years ago. It is almost as though if we don't deal with issues they will just go away.

I had a similar issue with a vodka I'd wanted for my cabin. Upon embarkation there was something better than well but not what I'd requested. After talking to my stewardess and not getting what I wanted (they gave me something slightly better but not what I'd wanted), I forgot about it. Shortly after boarding on our next port the hotel manager (Karl) informed me that I had a surprise waiting for me. When I went to the Sky bar I was presented with a bottle of what I'd requested - something they had to go off the ship and find on their own. So if upon boarding you don't have your spirit, let your stewardess and hotel manager know. You never know what may magically appear;)

Just a heads up for those who might be traveling to Barbados. In 2011 we took a Windstar cruise that originated there and toured a plantation and rum distilary - St. Nicholas Abbey. The grounds were lovely, but the rum ROCKED! They have a special reserve which wasn't cheap (I believe approximately $80/bottle) but the bottle was engraved right on the spot with our names and the rum inside was extremely tasty. We're were sorry to finish that one as you can only buy it there. They do say if you bring the bottle back they will refill it at a discount, so we might HAVE to take another trip someday :D

Wow, the Carribean sounds awfully nice right now...

Did the same as you. Amazing rum (my memory says $60 a bottle). Still have a little left .... but maybe not after tonight :D:D

Getting a sensible and helpful reply from customer service can, I agree, be a pain. However, if you can then bear to wait until you are on board, and ask nicely of course, almost certainly you will find that the sort of helpful treatment mentioned above will happen. There is a big anomaly between the 'Office' and the on board management most of the time. Should not be, but there is.

D'oh ><

Thread_Necromancy_3038-XL.jpg

:D

Yes, it's a ghost or 'fossil' thread.

But that said, I'm still interested in the latest post about the rum. I have a disturbingly high level of interest in alcoholic beverages.

Would be nice on a different thread, but I'm waiting for some more feedback.

Archived