Home Lines employees/memories?

Certainly the reunion at the restaurant in Westchester sounds amazing' date=' but frankly, we all know that ANYTHING on a cruise ship at sea is better than any other thing on land! I haven't been in the best frame of mind for the last several weeks which is odd for me in the spring and summer, but honestly Nancy, my interest has been awakened and I'd like to talk to you, or email, about this cruise idea. Contact me. All my info is listed. [/color']

J ;)

I can't seem to find your info on here, not sure if I am doing it right but when I click on your name no email or phone show. All of my info is listed also, if you can find it, you can contact me too.

Nancy

Ahhh, can't get your info to pop up either. Really am not a big technology fan but understand it is vital. My email is jad52@hotmail.com. I know I've seen it dsplayed in the past, but who the hell knows what I hit by mistake to access that info! This is all public info as it is, so not a problem. Its worth whatever else I get in my email box if I get to hear from you and/or your sister.

Thanks. Janet D.

Edited by cruisin'since'75

This is an idea, we have a "Cruise to Nowhere" booked for January on the NCL Gem out of Manhattan with a reunion of school friends, maybe all of you would like to get together with this overnight cruise and bring back old memories of our Home Lines days. If you need info I can give you the girl who is handing the group reservations for our school and you can all receive the same discount as our group with her.

Nancy

Wow, thank you so much for this invitation. This is something I definitely would be interested in doing. I would appreciate any more info, if you don't mind e-mailing it to me. :)

Wow, thank you so much for this invitation. This is something I definitely would be interested in doing. I would appreciate any more info, if you don't mind e-mailing it to me. :)

For some reason our email addresses do not show up in the profile any more. Email me at NancyM92@msn.com and I will send you the info.

Nancy

Hey there girlfriends and new friends! You all sure have been busy while I've been away. Aruba was wonderful as always. It's my husband's and my special place....it's one of the few islands left that I hadn't been to with with My "Homey". It was one island left without bittersweet memories and past stories. It was a logical choice, and we've been going back yearly since 1990.

I've been slow to jump back in here, due to computer connectivity issues and also the fact that my mother-in-law has been staying with us since our Aruba trip. The computer is in "her bedroom" and she goes to bed much earlier than me. She would be LHAO if she read all this stuff. I'm lucky to have a good mother-in-law.

That cruise to nowhere sounds quite interesting...wouldn't have to worry about checking in a under 50 lb suitcase loaded with photo albums! LOL.

Oh the stories we could share and photos to compare. Sometimes names might escape us, but faces don't.

I'll have to stop by a local restaurant owned by a former Home Lines waiter..he's been to the reunions, and perhaps he has more info. he keeps in touch with several of the "guys".

I wonder if we could ever get a count of the number of laisons, affairs and heartbreaks during the years these ships sailed. the numbers would be astounding.

It's funny, cuz last nite I had the craziest dream about a NY cruise going to Bermuda. It was a Home Lines ship, but not the Italian crew. The whole cruise sucked royally, and I was constantly comparing and complaining. I was ripping, and swore that I would never go on another cruise. Perhaps it had something to do with the Oceanic PeaceBoat being back in the City. It was strange.

Hi love this BB .One ? our first ever cruise was on the Oceanic the week of July 4th 1981 to Bermuda and Nassau.It was the first of our 70 cruises .I"m 52 and the wife is 50.Home lines had the best dinning room food and service by far ! And the Oceanic had the best Disco we ever been to on any cruise ship hands down .I"m kind of thinking that because it was a NY crowd !We never left the Disco until closing time ,remember the pizza late night in the disco .We just love that ship .We cruised on her 2 times and we cruised on the Star Ship Oceanic 2 times with our 2 boy"s .And still had a great time .We like it better then Disney cruise line in witch we did 2 times also .We also cruised on the Doric the same year as our first Oceanic cruise in 81 .And the Atlantic and Homeric. also .We love the Home lines .But at the end it wasn"t the same cruise line .Things change. It was hard for then to keep up with the big guy"s .And the Atlantic and Homeric just didn"t replace the Oceanic . Ok dose anybody here remember rick Spath ? Dan Gable was the cruise director on the oceanic on our first Oceanic cruise .Rick was his As.CD .Well we cruised with him many times on other cruise line .Sitmar HAL and Disney was the last time we saw him back in 1999 on the Disney Magic .

I saw the Peace boat Oceanic at the piers in NYC last Friday.She"s still looks good but showing her age .I also went over to see her in dry dock in Bayonne NY .I was sitting there watching her being repaired with a tear in my eye .It will be 28 years ago this Saturday the 4th of July that we did our first ever cruise on her .I don"t think she"s has lone to go before the reality of the scrap yard comes .I also think this may be the last time she comes to NYC her old Home Port ! I"m not sure if the Cost Guard will let her back in the US waters again .And that she a steam ship dosen"t help .

Long live the Oceanic and Home lines .You will never be forgotten .

SUN WAY CRUISES

Home lines had the best dinning room food and service by far ! You're absolutely right about that! And the Oceanic had the best Disco we ever been to on any cruise ship hands down .I never had the honor of sailing on the Oceanic, but compared to the ships today, for me, nothing compared to the Disco on the Atlantic I"m kind of thinking that because it was a NY crowd ! Could very well be :D We never left the Disco until closing time same here! ,remember the pizza late night in the disco . LOOVED that pizza!

Long live the Oceanic and Home lines .You will never be forgotten .

SUN WAY CRUISES RIGHT ON!

Mr Veendam, do you sail on HAL these days? I'm thinking about taking a cruise on the Veendam to Bermuda next summer. Seeing as you too are a Home Lines fan how would you rate HAL?

Hi Arubagal, Welcome back, girlfriend! Glad you had a good vacation! As you can see we've been busy chatting away here. I'm looking into going on that cruise to nowhere with TheCrusinSisters' group....If enough of us can go, I think we would have a lot of laughs. Take care!

Hi SueseaQ The Veendam is our favorite ship .And they just upgraded her .I"m not liking how she looks on the outside .But they did a great job on the inside .I think she"s the best ship doing Bermuda next year .She go"s to both St George and Ham. Like the Doric use to do .The other big ships have to go out to kings W. .HAL is i think a great cruise like because it"s like cruises use to be .A little more dressy .Alot lest people on there ships .The food is very good .The best Lido cafe at sea .It"s even better them Home lines use to be .It"s not a hurry up kind of cruise like RCCI & Carnival are .More layed back .A perfect ship for Bermuda ! You"ll have a great time .Good size cabins .

Mr Veendam

IT"S GOOD TO BE ON A WELL RUN SHIP

....I'm liking what I hear about HAL and being that you loved the Home Lines too, I figured you could give me a good comparison. The cruises today seem to differ alot from how they used to be back then. We last cruised on Princess, and I liked them better than Celebrity and much better than NCL. I'm really thinking of giving HAL a try next summer. It is so much nicer to dock in Hamilton and St. Georges and to stay in Bermuda for 3 1/2 days than to be docked in Kings Wharf for only hours.

HI EVERYONE JUST WANTED TO SAY HELLO AND HOPE EVERYONE IS DOING WELL ARUBAGAL SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT YOU HAD SUCH A GOOD TIME ON YOUR VACATION MY MOM IS ALMOST FULLY RECOVERED AND NOW I COULD START TO PREPARE FOR MY CARIBBEAN PRINCESS CRUISE REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS TRIP AND ALL OF THE ADVENTURES THAT GO ALONG WITH IT EVEN US OLDER SINGLE GIRLS STILL HAVE SOME STORIES NOTHING LIKE THE HOME LINES DAYS :eek: TAKE CARE EVERYONE KEEP ME POSTED ABT IF THERE WILL BE A REUNION AND I WILL TALK TO ALL OF YOU SOON Sue:)

Hi SueseaQ you will love HAL .And your right i like going to both places .Al tho when we did the Doric and Homeric of 1986 .the ships stayed all 3 and one half days in Ham.

Hi you are going to like the Caribbean Princes .Are you going from Brooklyn ? We have been on the Grand Princess and Crown Princess .The Crown was an 9 day cruise out of Brooklyn .I still like Princess but they are not as good as they use to be .

Hi all...hope everyone is doing well. The overnight in January sounds great, maybe we can get more details. I see we have a newcomer to our group - marcelleg13 - and I'll admit to being a bit confused. So cruizin, spill the dirt, is she another one of "us". :) I'm also thinking I'm hearing some type of hints in your posts...it really is okay....think you know what I mean...after all it those were the days my friend. Catch y'all soon. Cruizin you know where to find me ...keep me posted and updated.

By the way I did do one of thos Home Lines reunions about 7-8 years ago in New Jersey, sad to say it was really a bunch of old timers and very few people that I knew.

Hi Marge106, how have you been? I'm definetly considering the Jan overnight too. I'm going to call the TA next week to get the prices. If you e-mail Nancy-"TheCruisinSisters" she will be able to give you more details and the name and phone # of the TA who is making the arrangements.

HAPPY 4th OF JULY EVERYONE!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

As a child I sailed on the Oceanic in August 1979 with my family. I remember our waiters were Flavio and Carmello. And our wine steward was Rocco. He convinced my sister to toss a bottle overboard with a note in it. Two years later she received a letter from a girl who lived in Germany and was vacationing on a beach in France when she found the bottle with my sister's note. I would love to know what those crew members went on to do. I remember a priest who was onboard who was very funny. I also remember a young man who worked on the ship named Raffaele Aru. My grandmother sailed on the Oceanic quite often and was friendly with him -- but I can't remember exactly what he did on the ship. I would love to find him as she was friendly with him until her death. I also remember "Oh Oceanic Ship" and I know we have the tape somewhere.

Hello OhOceanicShip! Flavio was a friend of mine and dated a girl friend of mine for a few years. As recently as last year he was working for Princess Cruises but I don't remember which ship. After Home Lines went out of business he worked for Costa for a couple of years.

Many of the Home Lines crew continued to work on other lines after Home Lines. Some of them became disenchanted with the cruising life after a bit and went to their hometowns to make a life. Others, like Flavio, continue to sail. I ran into him several years ago at the port in Fort Lauderdale. He looked exactly the same as he did in the 70s and 80s, was quite content to be working on a cruise ship, and was thrilled to see a couple of "Home Lines girls", as he called my friend and I, because "there was no other ship like the Oceanic", and he knew we would know what he meant by that.

I believe there are a couple of crew who have posted at this site, so keep on checking. You may actually here from Flavio or one of the other crew you made friends with a few years back.

Edited by cruisin'since'75
typos

Hello Cruisin'!

What a treat that would be. Even though he would have no idea who I was, it would be nice to get a message from him. They spoiled us rotten! My grandmother loved to sail on the Oceanic and went quite frequently. Long story but a few years ago, I met up with the lifeguard from the Oceanic from that time. Purely coincidental and got to see a few pics from back then. I believe Carmello (sp?) was actually Flavio's busboy at the time.

Now if I could REALLY find Raffaele Aru, I would be thrilled!

Gina

HI CRUSIN I DO REMENBER FLAVIO HE WAS MY WAITER ON THE ATLANTIC AND THE HOMERIC HE WAS A SUPER GUY FOUR YRS AGO I WENT ON THE GRAND PRINCESS TO CANADA AND NEW ENGLAND AND WHEN I WALKED INTO THE DINING ROOM THERE HE WAS FLAVIO IN PERSON HE DID REMENBER WHO I WAS AFTER WE TALKED A BIT. I HAVE CRUSED WITH PRINCESS EVERY YEAR SINCE THEN BUT I HAVENT SEEN HIM ANY MORE.:confused: SUE PS HE IS STILL JUST AS SWEET AS HIS WAS BACK IN THE DAY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Gals! It's been awhile. My mother in law was staying with us since our return from Aruba, and she just went back to her daughter's house this weekend. It was great having her with us for 2 months, but she sorely missed her dogs and her routine. Miss her, but it's also nice to get our routine back. During this time, my 2 step children also announced that they were both engaged! Wow!

My cruises may be on temporary hold!

Anyways, I so need a gossip or drama fix....anyone new who wants to come out of the woodwork??? LOL.

Hope everyone is doin well and enjoying the summer.

Hi ArubaGal, I've just been lurking for a while. WOW, congratulations on 2 engagements that must have been a shock. Only news on my end is that I won't be able to do the Jan cruise with CruisingSisters, unfortunately. But on the bright side, I am (finally) booked on a cruise for next July. A 9 day cruise on the Caribbean Princess from Brooklyn. My first vacation in 4 years...YAY!

Hope all you other Home Lines Girls are well and having a great summer!

Hello Ladies. I also won't be able to go on the Cruise to Nowhere with Cruising Sisters since I've booked a cruise on the Emerald Princess out of FFL for the 60th birthday of my best friend in the world, Marcella, as she's know on this site. We set sail on January 10 for a 7-night cruise, Eastern Carib. Frankly, I haven't ever really cared what ports the ship went to, just as long as I was cruising it didn't matter! So far there's about 14 folks going along for the BD celebration - and I'd say about 90 percent of the folks are former "Home Liners", in some fashion or another.

Would have liked to have done both, but that wouldn't work for me this year. I'll be thinking of you guys, however, and hope whoever is on this great sailing reunion has the best time ever and meets up with so many former Home Lines guys and gals!

HI GIRLS HAVENT BEEN ON LINE FOR A WHILE EITHER BUSY AT WORK TRAINING ON A NEW POSITION AND GETTING READY TO LEAVE ON MY CRUISE NEXT THUR AUG 13, ON THE CARIBBEAN PRINCESS NEED THIS CRUISE REALLY BAD. HOPE YOU ARE ALL DOING WELL. :cool: SUE

Hi Everyone!

How exciting your leaving on your cruise this week, Sue! Have a great time. I can't wait to hear how it was as I am booked on the same cruise for next July. You'll have to let us know how everything goes.

My niece was on this cruise at the end of June with her friends and had a blast! Evidently they made friends with some of the crew members and hung out with them and toured some of the islands with them.....They even have been back to the ship 2x's and were invited to a crew party when it was docked in Brooklyn. Hmmmmmmmm...............does any of this sound vaguely familiar? ;):rolleyes::D:p:eek:. Will there one day be a thread of "Princess Line girls"??? Oh to be in my 20's again.......Sorry, but I know we still had the best with the Home Lines ;).