Home Lines employees/memories?

Hi Mark, my grandmother used to cruise on the Oceanic back in the 70s and 80s and used to take my older female cousins. The rules have definitely changed -- I believe that back then, the crew was actually asked, if not required, to entertain the passengers! I do remember cruising on the Oceanic as a child and there was just something special about that ship and the whole atmosphere in general. So I think, although I was too young at the time and this doesn't pertain to me, that I can understand why these ladies like to reminisce about that time. Happy New Year to all.

Janet I understand...now...that it is a "woman thing" and therefore really cannot add anything since I cannot relate to it being a guy.

But from a guy's perspective, I personally have never had any interest or desire to become involved with any females working on the ships I have sailed on...sorry...

Also from what I understand, current cruise line regulations forbid all members of the crew except for officers and dance company members from fraternizing with the paying guests...has something to do with liability such as in cases when women passengers have reported being raped onboard by crew members. I guess times have changed from when Home Lines ships sailed the oceans...

To SteveDan ...

I know your post was from awhile back but was wondering if you were still in touch with EEE's family? Is that his son who works as transportation director on several movies (could there possibly be TWO Everett Everett Everetts in this world?) ... I ask because back when I was young (a LONG time ago) the elder EEE was the entertainment director at a hotel on Cape Cod and I found home movies (now shifted to DVD) of his teaching a group of us to do the frug and the hully gully (does that date it at all???) from about 1963. I thought his family might get a kick out of it!!!

I can only imagine what a great cruise director he must have been .. though I was only 3 at the time, I have remembered him all these years so fondly!!!

To SteveDan ...

I know your post was from awhile back but was wondering if you were still in touch with EEE's family? Is that his son who works as transportation director on several movies (could there possibly be TWO Everett Everett Everetts in this world?)

Not Steve but I can tell you that Everett S. Glixman aka Everett E. Everett had two sons Steven and Joseph and a daughter Francine. EEE only went to sea I think in the late 1960s before that he was with a group called The Nuts. He performed with Martha Rae, John Carroll, Lack LaRue, Sophie Tucker and Totie Fields plus he was a favorite of Della Reese. He worked at hotels in Massachusetts and I actually first met him at a hotel in Connecticut shortly before he shipped out.

Happy Memories.

To SteveDan ...

I know your post was from awhile back but was wondering if you were still in touch with EEE's family? Is that his son who works as transportation director on several movies (could there possibly be TWO Everett Everett Everetts in this world?)

Not Steve but I can tell you that Everett S. Glixman aka Everett E. Everett had two sons Steven and Joseph and a daughter Francine. EEE only went to sea I think in the late 1960s before that he was with a group called The Nuts. He performed with Martha Rae, John Carroll, Lack LaRue, Sophie Tucker and Totie Fields plus he was a favorite of Della Reese. He worked at hotels in Massachusetts and I actually first met him at a hotel in Connecticut shortly before he shipped out.

Happy Memories.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to all my Home Lines Sisters!

First, let me thank you all for your good wishes, kind messages, healthy vibes, and most of all your prayers. That praying on the way to work idea is a good one which I'm gonna start doing from now on. On the way TO work and on the way FROM work. That oughta cover most of what I'm praying about thesese days...

And let me tell you, lots to pray about! I'm back at work, started part time, taking on more and more hours each week since my return on 12/14. My long-time friends who were so supportive and encouraging and helpful are such a bunch of people to be thankful for...I sure would have been in a big mess, literally & figuratively, if it hadn't been for their continued and caring efforts on my behalf when I found myself out of control and sick with something that couldn't be diagnosed.

Home Lines Girls? You all, each and everyone of you, although I'd heard through Ms. Marge how you were all mustering your efforts, thoughts, prayers to make me better, to get me back onto this Board, which I love and need so much, well, to hear about it was amazing. To read and see it absolutely leaves me speechless...well not really speechless, (no, not ever THAT), but good heavens, I'm loving each and every one of you so much. You all made a huge difference in what happened to me. No doubt about it. And since I'm so damned emotional in the last coupla months, I'm sitting here all tearing up at work. Can't help it. All those tears I never cried in all the years most folks have known me are fighting to get out lately. I go with it. The new me.

At any rate, I'm back. I'm ready for everything. I'm not sailing in a coupla days, and I sure am going to miss being with my friend Judy when she turns 60 and I'm going to wish I was with Margie and her husband on the back deck of the ship laughing and enjoying the ocean breeze, I know we'll have a chance to sail together soon. I'm still thinking October 2010 is a good crusin' date to plan towards - more than ever - I want to meet you all, talk with you all, laugh with you all, write with you, stand at the rail with you, and most of all, SAIL the SEA with you. Just like I'm sure we must have sailed together at some time in the past. I'm sure we did.

Gimme a little more time to pull it all together; all the obligations which kinda slid off the radar screen since early November which I'm just beginning to deal with now that the frantic holiday planning has passed. We'll do some serious planning - only 10 months away - and before you know it, we'll be boarding a ship to sail down the Hudson. The Home Lines Girls will have come home at last, together.

Janet D. ;)

SueSeaQ, Hope you are recovering and feeling "Hale & Hearty"! Getting past a hospitalization is definitely not the most fun. I'm pulling for you all the way. Least I can do since you sere so supportive during my illness. Ugh, hate that word.

Thinking of you and know you are healing well.

JD

Ms JD, I was so thrilled to read your posts today, I'm so happy to hear you are on the road to recovery. You had us worried! Your post brought a tear to my eye as well. As for me, I am on the mend, have an appt to see my MD in 3 weeks and will hopefully get the all- clear to go back to work. As for the "I" word - I hate it too!! Please God, 2010 should be a good year for us all! And I must add, the power of prayer should never be minimized. The older I get, the more I see the power of prayer at work, it's awsome!!!

Miss JD...my darling friend...welcome home. I have not forgotten my promise to see you when we return. Hopefully it will warm up some. Can you believe I have not so much taken out a pair of undies to begin packing...can't believe we're leaving this Saturday. I will miss you but I know in my heart that I won't be missing you for much longer.

To all of our Home Lines friends, you ladies did not know that I had planned on surprising Janet on board the Emerald this coming Saturday. Unfortunately, its not meant to be. But I say my thanks to God every day that Janet is on the mend and back to being her old self with some new twists :) Our sailing together into the sunset may be on a temporary hold, but its something to look forward to in the future.

Catch you all soon....

Marge

Hi Marge, I'm sure Ms. JD would have been so surprised by your being on the Emerald, maybe some other time in the future ;). You are getting away at a good time of the year. It's been so cold. Have a great time on your cruise, let us know how it was. Now, get packing, girl :D:D:D!

hello ladies

Bon Voyage marge106, let me know how you like this cruise line,:) hope it's like home lines:D however, does this mean the October 2010 cruise has been "scraped" I'm curious because no ever mentioned it anymore. Please let me know. It's ok if that is the case, nothing was carved in stone, but, I would like to know so that I could go ahead and make future vacation plans.

Stay Safe Ladies:)

Nonnie58

I know we'll have a chance to sail together soon. I'm still thinking October 2010 is a good crusin' date to plan towards - more than ever - I want to meet you all' date=' talk with you all, laugh with you all, write with you, stand at the rail with you, and most of all, SAIL the SEA with you. Just like I'm sure we must have sailed together at some time in the past. I'm sure we did.[/i']

Gimme a little more time to pull it all together; all the obligations which kinda slid off the radar screen since early November which I'm just beginning to deal with now that the frantic holiday planning has passed. We'll do some serious planning - only 10 months away - and before you know it, we'll be boarding a ship to sail down the Hudson. The Home Lines Girls will have come home at last, together.

Janet D. ;)

I'm very much looking forward to "planning on planning" this October extravaganza, Nonnie. Give me just a bit more time and Ms. Marge & I will begin the phone calls and postings to get this adventure "carved in stone"! Can't wait to hear all about their week on the Emerald Princess, and then we'll be on this board asking for opinions and suggestions for our "editor's cruise" on the open sea! So Ciao for Now, and we'll be back in touch before you know it.

Janet D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just had to bring this thread to the top of the page again. It was starting to fade away..:(...

Hope all my Home Lines Sisters are doing OK and faring OK with these snow storms. I just returned to work last week, and today we were told not to take a chance to come in...Oh well, I get to spend some extra time on the computer :)!

Ladies, stay safe, keep warm and hope to hear from you soon!!!

hello sueseaQ. and all the homlines ladies, I was glad to see your post Sue, I thought this site went into the twilight zone:rolleyes: I hope everyone is doing fine:) don't forget ladies, not every young woman got to experience the homelines cruise fantasy, it was something you had to experience to ever really understand and appreciate. Let's keep that special time alive;)

Stay Healthy and Safe Ladies

Sincerely

nonnie58

You are right Nonnie.....and sadly, there is nothing upon the sea that can offer what Home Lines did. That first cruise of mine changed my life. I absolutely fell in love with cruising for one thing!!! It was also the first time in my life that I got involved so quickly with a guy without overthinking everything. That whole experience opened things up for me and I became more confident that I could take chances in life and things would really be okay. I didn't always have to take the safe route. I went home and a few months later I quit my boring job and went to work in the travel industry. A few years after that I went to work on a cruise ship. I had already met my husband, so that didn't last but 2 months before I came back. I have been in love with cruising ever since and our family has enjoyed many together.

I have recently found my waiter from that first cruise on facebook. We've chatted a few times and just yesterday we had a video chat and were able to catch up.

Be well.

Hi ladies, I just sent another email into cyber-space some place ,:o and it was a good one so here I go again. Croozin, that's so great that you were not only able to contact your waiter, but to have a video chat:D I was telling a co-worker of mine about the Doric and how that ship broke away from it's tow and avoided being scrapped. she said, "oh that's kind of eerie",:eek: I have to be honest I thought the same thing, but never verbalized that thought. The happiness that I felt on those HL cruises, was never again acheived. I have had many happy moments in my life which I am grateful to God for. I realize now that the level of happiness that I felt on those cruises could be described as surreal. The Doric came to her final destination on her own terms. I believe those cruises taught us homelines ladies to lead our lives on our own terms just like the Doric did many years ago:)

Take care ladies, and I hope that God grants us all many more happy moments in our lives and that of our families:)

Nonnie58

• 1 month later...

Hello, I hope all is well with everyone:) but it seems like I am the only one posting, so I think I will put the ball in someone else's court if there is still an interest in this site.

Once again good health to all:)

God Bless

Nonnie58

Hello, I hope all is well with everyone:) but it seems like I am the only one posting, so I think I will put the ball in someone else's court if there is still an interest in this site.

Once again good health to all:)

God Bless

Nonnie58

Hi Nonnie 58, glad to hear from you each time you post. I've posted once or twice, but it seems as thought everyone must be really busy. I'm certainly interested in keeping this site active, but I'm back to working full-time, working my 2nd job, and then doing all the other things one needs to do to keep moving forward.

I'm still interested in sailing away in October on a Home Lines Girls cruise, but I'm guessing mostly everyone has found an alternative site to post on and a different vacation/cruise to go on. I'm not ready to travel yet, but I might be ready to go in October!

I'll post somewhere, maybe here, when and once that happens.

Ciao, bella. Stay well. Janet D.

Hi Janet

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well:) you are obviously working very hard which is also a good thing considering today's economy. I'm not planning for an October 2010 cruise, since it was never really followed through. Home lines will always be dear to my heart:) I will check this site from time to time. Who knows maybe someday there will be a Home Lines girls reunion cruise? Take care and once again I'm thrilled to hear that you are doing well

God Bless us All

Nonnie58:)