Home Lines employees/memories?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Divinos restaurant in NYC used to hold Home Lines reunion dinners every once and a while. It appears that restaurant is now closed. Does anyone know or have any info if they (the reunion dinners) are now being held somewhere else? If so, name and address of the restaurant, please. I'll contact the restaurant for specifics.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW. It has takin me all week at work, but i have managed to read all 30 pages of this thread. Being a guy in late 30's and being on the water my entire life, I am truly Jealous of everyone of You that were able to experience these magnificent vessels. My wife and i just returned from Bermuda last week. We traveled aboard the Explorer Of The Seas. (4th time we have traveled her). It must have been truly amazing aboard a ship half the size, with twice the attention to detail. I hope you can all find a way to re-unite. Unbelievable. Thanks to all for the awesome read. Dan

Dan, there is really no comparison from the Home Lines' ships and those floating amusement park resorts that are out today. Home Lines Oceanic was glorious. I met people who had sailed on her over 30 times. I was lucky to sail 3X.

Many of the complaints you read on cc today were not even thought of. We used to "rent" a deck chair for the week, drinks were $1, dining room experience was classy and delicious (not to mention the gorgeous waiters).

I just wish there was a ship like that out there now (that I could afford). There is nothing as memorable about my other more recent cruises.

I hear ya. sucks it was way before my time. We are taking the kids on Liberty to bermuda a little less than a year from now. I have been very happy with Royal Carib. (by todays standards) but i continuously find myself looking at the other lines like hal. my problem is that i really have no interest in flying to meet a ship when we have NYC and Bayonne 3 hours away. But i keep looking. To date the smallest vessel i have cruised is Grandeur.lol lots of cool you-tube of oceania. tho. Its just crazy because of the 5 cruises we have been on i remember 3 crew total!!

• 2 weeks later...

Reading parts of this thread brings back fond memories. Both DH's parents and mine sailed on the Doric. Pictures of our fathers in white dinner jackets, moms in gowns - back then nobody argued the merit of flip-flops on formal night!

DH and I sailed on the Atlantic and Homeric. I remember Mario's pasta shack - best pasta sauces ever! Loved the buffets, reserved deck chairs were great, and our night steward who was ready with his key to let us into our room.

A few weeks ago, I ventured into the attic to do some cleaning and found a Home Lines Celebrated Cruises catalog dated March 1986. The "new" Homeric was only drawings. A quick glance at the pricing was an eye-opener, especially the $20 pp bus fee from Boston to NYC. Yes, the gov't fees/port taxes were under $20., but the cost of a cruise was considerably more than some I've taken in recent years.

Fast forward - We were out to dinner at an area restaurant and DH noticed a huge picture of the Atlantic on the lobby wall. Not something one would expect to see in a fine Italian restaurant. We asked our waitress about the significance of the picture and we learned that the restaurant's owner worked as a chef about the ship. At the time, he was back to Italy for a visit, but we're going there tonight and plan to give Luciano the catalog.

Darcy

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, Gail, that was some story. Which ship were you on for the hurricane?? My first cruise was on the Doric and we sailed to Bermuda in very stormy waters as well. I remember rocking and rolling on the first night. My girlfriend and I were quite sick after early dinner. The next morning we both dashed to the infirmary for meds and shots...all I remember is a very handsome Italian medic or doctor trying to help me while I was sick into one of those bags :eek: Our room was in the very front of the ship and was rocking so badly the water was sloshing out of the toilet bowl or shower drain...don't know which :confused: . They had to mop up our cabin and the medic told me to stay midship in the lounge which we did. My friend slept most of the day on a couch near the lounge while I decided to go to the movies (just like you) and we saw Superman 2. The doors were roped off and no one could go out on deck (who would want to LOL). You could see the waves splashing up over the railings :eek: .

That evening we felt well enough to attend the first formal night although we didn't eat too much. I'm glad we went though since that was the night I met my husband who happened to be my waiter that night :D ;) . He took very good care of me for the rest of the cruise and we had a blast in Bermuda. Doric was a fun ship, the food was great and the crew was just the best (of course I'm not prejudiced).

I'm still sad about Home Lines going out of business, although I just loved my recent Celebrity Cruise.

HI I WAS ON THE Doric IN APRIL 1979 I am looking for a guy name Steve . was a bartender in the night club, do you remember him, jeff@globegrinding.com

Hey there :)

I couldn't believe when I saw your posting! WOW.... check this out:

Well, Feb 1979 I was on the Doric. Dino was a cabin steward at that time also. He must have been a charmer.... because I too, hung out with him. I was only 17 at that time... and yes, he could dance. We went to the disco in Puerto Rico (Leonardo Divinci's). VERY FUN! I thought I was special too... :eek: Just too young to understand I guess. I also have pictures. Oh, and I have a daughter from Feb 1979 cruise ! Just wondering if anyone else may have a son or daughter by Mr. Charmer also. CRAZY ISN'T IT? :confused:

HE a nice guy email me jeff@globegrinding.com

• 2 months later...

hello I read with interest your post. My father worked on the first Homeline after the Doric on Oceanic. I ask you a favor I read that many of you still have contacts. My father took the confirmation of one of these ships and the godfather was Minutillo Michele Molfetta, Bari. I wanted to know if someone has his e-mail. I read that Marge106 speak with him. can you help me please? a kiss to all and sorry for the request. oops, I forgot my father's name is Angelo Queirolo of La Spezia.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...