Home Lines employees/memories?

Bill yes the last night"s aboard our Oceanic cruises were great to say the lest ! A funny story .We were just married in 1980 ! We wanted to go on a cruise .But our TA at the time said October wasn't a good time to take a cruise .So we went to Aruba witch was great .At that time there was only a few resorts there .So in march of 1981 we when back to out TA and wanted a summer cruise .Being that i grew up in Hoboken NJ and my grandfather was from Holland And HAL was in Hoboken for many years .leaving in 1963 !! Atlot of the captains at that time on HAL were very good friends with my grandfather ,they use to stay at our house between voyagers ! It was the line i wanted to go on !! Our TA said i can"t put you young people on HAL !! It"s for the older people !! And he said i am going to put you 2 on the Oceanic !! I was 25 and my wife was 22 at that time !! I remeber that cruise like it was yesterday .I can still remember driving up to the pier and seeing the ship !! And we had a Bon Vo. party with i think around 15 people We rented one of them cabanas by the pool .Nobody wanted to get off !! Boy that was when going out on cruises from NYC was the best !!

Now days cruises are more like going to a resort ! We loved getting dress up every night .Bill remember the hallways stairs outside the dinning room before dinner on the Oceanic !! We still keep in touch we people we met on that cruise ! Bill what ever happen to Stanly Kay ?

Love our great memory's of the Oceanic and other Home line ships we have been on ! I was at the pier when the Oceanic left NYC for the last time in 1985 !! I got to take a tour of her a few years ago when she came back to NYC for the first time since 1985 as the Peace boat !!Oh a good friend of mine is Bill Miller you may have had him on one of your world cruise taking a gout the old ocean liners !!

)))))))))))))))HOME LINES SUN WAY CRUISES (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi Fabrizio,

This is unbelievable...was reading an Italian newspaper online a minute ago and someone called Azzolini was mentioned. I then had the idea of googling to find out what that young, polite, and decently educated italo-american fellow I met back in 1985 was up to...

And here came this thread...

Do you remember me? Twenty year old (back then) Massimo of Genoa, from MV Atlantic, working in the printing shop... I only stayed for a six months contract.

Do you remember maybe Stefano Squarcina of Padua, Piero Dettori of Genoa, Pasquale Pisani of Mola also from the printing shop?

I do remember Furfaro the crew purser, thin guy, dark hair from Calabria I think. A nice guy. He should remember me if you don't...

I always remember that you helped me understand the lyrics of Cat Stevens 'Father and Son'. I was learning my English at the time and there was a bit we couldn't understand. It was when it goes 'you're so young, that's your fault'... it took you a while and then you had a Eureka moment which I never forgot!

Get in touch if you read this!

Massimo (Max)

Wow, so many people from Home Lines. I was a deck steward on the M/V Atlantic only during the summers of 1982 thru 1985. I was still in High School and then college and was the only American member of the crew that I am aware of. It was really an incredible experience. I still have 2 original deck chairs with cushions as well as 2 original life preservers, one from the Oceanic and one from the Atlantic. This was a very memorable time in my life!

Wow, so many people from Home Lines. I was a deck steward on the M/V Atlantic only during the summers of 1982 thru 1985. I was still in High School and then college and was the only American member of the crew that I am aware of. It was really an incredible experience. I still have 2 original deck chairs with cushions as well as 2 original life preservers, one from the Oceanic and one from the Atlantic. This was a very memorable time in my life!

decksteward414:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I took my first cruise to Bermuda on the Doric and then every year after on the Atlantic and he Homeric and I was on the very last cruise to Bermuda what a sad time Had so much fun on every one me and friends always felt like celebrity's when we went into the Dining room on the first night everyone knew us. Meeing the crew on Front Street and going off to the Club Bermuda (little Italy and Forty Thieves) I hold those memories in heart.;)

• 1 month later...

I sailed with my parents on the "old" Homeric in the late 60's. I think that ship was originally a Matson Line ship, and one of a pair of twins. One became the "Homeric" and one became Chandris Lines "Britanis" (sailed on that once, too) That Homeric did 7 day to Nassau cruises in the winter and it was school vacation, so.....off we went. I sailed on the newer Homeric to Bermuda in 1987. For the 60's cruise we were supposed to sail on the "Raffaello", also a 7 dayer out of NYC, but the Italian Line was notorious for cancelling and/or changing sailings. That cruise got canx and it went TA (I think). Our agent was able to get us space on the Homeric on fairly short notice.

I remember being on the old Homeric for a Bon Voyage party & had my 30th B-Day on the new Homeric!!! Both lines were fanatastic & fun.

Too bad about the Raffaello.....she was quite a beauty....

I sailed with my parents on the "old" Homeric in the late 60's. I think that ship was originally a Matson Line ship, and one of a pair of twins. One became the "Homeric" and one became Chandris Lines "Britanis" (sailed on that once, too) That Homeric did 7 day to Nassau cruises in the winter and it was school vacation, so.....off we went. I sailed on the newer Homeric to Bermuda in 1987. For the 60's cruise we were supposed to sail on the "Raffaello", also a 7 dayer out of NYC, but the Italian Line was notorious for cancelling and/or changing sailings. That cruise got canx and it went TA (I think). Our agent was able to get us space on the Homeric on fairly short notice.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently had the opportunity to be instrumental in helping to facilitate a long awaited reunion between twins and their father who had been a waiter on board the Oceanic. He fathered these boys with a Bahamian woman and was part of their lives for 8 years. He then left and they never heard from him again. I believe there was some sort of discord between the mother and father.

Through Facebook I saw this young man was looking for his father. I am in touch with my waiter from my first Home Lines cruise and asked if he knew this waiter. He knew who he was and the name of the town in Italy where he was from. I googled the guy and the town and came up with a telephone listing of 4 men. I forwarded it to the young man looking for his father. The third person on the list was his father.

A few months later the young man, his wife and daughter, as well as his twin brother went to Italy to reconnect after 20 years. During the first 8 years of their lives, the father's busboy while on the ship also came to visit when the father came to visit. They remembered him and he lives near the father. They got to see him as well. His family welcomed them as if they were their own. So, they now seem to have TWO Italian families!

It was a spectacular visit to Italy that far exceeded their dreams. Oh....the magic of the internet!!!! And of course, my sweet Carmine who helped with some translation issues and helping recommend hotels and even arranged for his cousin to pick up the family from the airport.

We leave tomorrow on a cruise. I sure do wish we were hitting Nassau so I could meet this young man in person. He seems like such a wonderful young man.

• 5 months later...

I began working aboard the Home Lines ship DORIC with Eddie Dawson in the late 1970's. Soon I went to the OCEANIC with Everett E. Everett as Cruise Director. Miolo and I (Bill Gable) were EEE's ACD's. It was always an adventure with EEE and I remember his cabaret act as if it were yesterday...always fun and anyone daring to leave the lounge to go to the restroom during the show would do so knowing they would be at the mercy of EEE's ad libs!

Unfortunately, I do not have a tape of Everett, I guess we never thought our days in the sun and nights in the spotlight would ever end. I do have some funny stories of EEE, however. One of my favorites happened during a cruise to Bermuda / Nassau and during those days the CD would give the tour and shopping talks for each port...hilighting each store that offered the CD a little something for such "consideration". Well, Everett got sick and asked Minolo to do the Bermuda talk. Now we all knew that EEE would almost have to be on his death bed to miss giving the Bermuda talk and "highlight" the Fritz liquor store on Front street. You can bet he made many a reminder to Minolo to mention Fritz and he would listen to it on the ship radio. Well, Minolo had never given such a talk and was way past nervous...he had a bad case of the equatorial sweats even though we were far from the Equator.

He managed to get through it, however, and I gave him a little encouragement to perk him up. We then went down to see if Everett was still alive or not. We soon found out...as we opened the cabin door the first thing out of the mouth of the figure on the bed was "You didn't mention Fritz, for Christ's sake!! You didn't mention Fritz!!"

I am trying to finish up a book called RIDIN' THE WAVES, a rememberance of my 22 years working cruise ships...moreso a rememberance of those dear friends, staff, crew and passengers, who shared those wonderful days of cruising. EEE was one of the more memorable.

Again, I am sorry I do not have his tape. He was one of the good ones.

Bill Gable

Gulf Shores, Ala

Home Lines was my introduction to cruising. I sailed on the Doric once and the Atlantic twice. Such memories.............I was in my 20's and oh....those wonderful Italian waiters and Stewards...............
Hi good morning, hope you are having a good day, do you remember a guy Steve a bartender think he was from the Philippines, 4/14/79 thanks Janet or anyone else:) I was hopping to see if I can fine anyone for that time to say hi