Inside Access/Behind the Scenes Tours: Opinions?

BBsails

When were on the Equinox TA in Nov.-Dec. 2011,=X= was promoting (piloting?) the first of the two tours described below. Since we had toured the galley and bridge of an M-Class ship, we decided not to do this one. If you have done either of these and have comments pro or con, please respond here. I believe the cost was $75pp.

Celebrity Cruises enhances Celebrity Life with interactive, behind-the-scenes tours. Celebrity Inside Access presents an inside look into modern luxury at sea

Miami - (December 20, 2011 ) - Consistently striving to provide its guests with unmatchable vacation experiences, Celebrity Cruises is now offering guests an inside look into the fascinating world of cruise ship operations. A new addition to the unique and robust Celebrity Life onboard activities program, “Celebrity Inside Access” takes guests on a once-in-a-lifetime journey behind the scenes of Celebrity’s renowned fleet, inviting them to discover the intricate details and functions behind modern luxury at sea. Celebrity’s Inside Access program invites guests to join two intimate and exclusive activities, the “See How It’s Done Tour” and the “Bridge Sail Away Experience.”

Designed to provide a thorough and rich three-hour experience, the See How It’s Done Tour guides an intimate group of guests through several otherwise non-public areas of the ship, including the bridge, mooring deck, crew gym, theater, engine control room, prep rooms and the main dining room galley. At each area of the tour, guests have the opportunity to interact with expert members of the Celebrity crew. Each tour is followed by a savory wine-paired lunch hosted by an officer in the main dining room.

The Bridge Sail Away Experience presents the opportunity for vacationers to join the navigational team on the bridge as the ship sails away from port. Beginning 30 minutes before and concluding 30 minutes after departing, guests are given a tour and an overview of the bridge conducted by a senior Celebrity bridge officer. Guests also have the opportunity to meet and take photos with the ship’s captain. “Celebrity has dedicated itself to providing guests with the finest in culinary experiences, award-winning service and engaging onboard activities,” said Simon Weir, Director of Hotel Operations, Celebrity Cruises. “Now, with the addition of Celebrity Inside Access, vacationers can also satisfy their curiosity and gain rare, behind-the-scenes insight into a Celebrity ship’s inner workings.”

The Celebrity Inside Access program is offered on all ships and available for purchase onboard.

I can't comment on the value because each has to decide for themselves. We've done many of these while they were (and some still are) free.

The least interesting were the kitchen tours which showed the final prep area, no food storage areas, no real cooking areas....and no activity when we were there. Easily missable.

The engine control room sounds interesting and exciting, but all you will see is meters, switches and similar which is actually pretty dull. Now if they showed you the actual engines (which are huge) or the generators themselves, it might be fascinating, but the control room is, in a word, dull.

The bridge is very interesting and you get a good perspective of what they see and how they control the ship while at sea and docking. I'd recommend going on any bridge tour offered. (depending on how you perceive the value).

Backstage tour is pretty interesting as well however it's pretty much limited to seeing the costume storage/repair and changing areas. I have been on some tours (I think RCCL) where they actually took us down on the stage elevators, but not on celebrity. I do this tour when it's offered free (elites), but I don't think I'd pay for it.

Hope this helps...at least it's one person's perspective.

The bridge is very interesting and you get a good perspective of what they see and how they control the ship while at sea and docking. I'd recommend going on any bridge tour offered. (depending on how you perceive the value). Backstage tour is pretty interesting as well however it's pretty much limited to seeing the costume storage/repair and changing areas. I have been on some tours (I think RCCL) where they actually took us down on the stage elevators, but not on celebrity. I do this tour when it's offered free (elites), but I don't think I'd pay for it. Hope this helps...at least it's one person's perspective.

Yes!! Excellent and interesting background. We've done bridge tours with two on two of our earlier cruises and found it to be of value and offering good insights on ship operations. Whether and how much I would pay is a little different story and question. Will be interesting to see how this new "revenue plan" would work. Would like to see the backstage tour for a ship like the Solstice.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 62,987 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

When were on the Equinox TA in Nov.-Dec. 2011,=X= was promoting (piloting?) the first of the two tours described below. Since we had toured the galley and bridge of an M-Class ship, we decided not to do this one. If you have done either of these and have comments pro or con, please respond here. I believe the cost was $75pp.

On our recent cruise I did both the Bridge Sail-Away as well as the "behind the scenes of everything" tour and (IMHO) it was money well spent.

Two hours on the Bridge, interacting with officers, getting explanations of damned near anything you saw was just awesome.

The behind the scenes tour, for us, went everywhere, including crew recreational areas, food-stowage facilities, galley, bridge (again for me), backstage at the main theater, you name it. Finished off with a lunch in the MDR where alcohol was being served and nobody was asking for SeaPasses (that I saw anyway, but I don't drink).

Definitely worth it. IMHO. But everyone has to decide for themselves.

We did a similar behind the scenes tour on the Emerald Princess, but we also received a pile of gifts (3 photos, a thick terry bathrobe, a chef jacket, tot bag, personalized notepads...). The cost was $150 and it was well worth it and very interesting.

Archived