Odyssey Trans-Atlantic Formal Nights

PBfromDC

For all of you who will be joining us on the March 21 Odyssey Trans-Atlantic please note that there are three formal nights scheduled. I have confirmed this with Seabourn's offices. The original paperwork stated there would be one formal night but now there will be three. Plan accordingly! See you on board.

Perry & Richard

Interesting. Sojourn's crossing on March 8 (15 days) has 2 formal nights. I wonder why the difference?

Two things to bear in mind - for the uninitiated, there are more formal optional nights on crossings, or any cruise with many sea days, and we have often found that once on board, the number may not be the same as Head Office are saying! Normally the programme you get in your suite on boarding has a list of all the evening attire for the different nights, and I think also with the themes of the dinners in the Colonnade for the evenings.:)

Two things to bear in mind - for the uninitiated, there are more formal optional nights on crossings, or any cruise with many sea days, and we have often found that once on board, the number may not be the same as Head Office are saying! Normally the programme you get in your suite on boarding has a list of all the evening attire for the different nights, and I think also with the themes of the dinners in the Colonnade for the evenings.:)
I think Lincslady would agree? For a man the tux or suit and tie you just wear again and again with variation. As for ladies, I found on last crossing there was a fine line between elegant casual and formal optional, and that made it easier for the ladies to pack.

I think Lincslady would agree? For a man the tux or suit and tie you just wear again and again with variation. As for ladies, I found on last crossing there was a fine line between elegant casual and formal optional, and that made it easier for the ladies to pack.

Perhaps if you were to direct your question to a man, you might get a different answer. We (men) don't just wear a tux or suit again and again........speaking for my partner and I we took 2 tux's each and couple of suits each and 3 or 4 blazers/jackets. In fact for our party we had in our PH we requested that men wore a jacket and tie. I guess it just all comes down to what you are used to doing and packing light and wearing the same clothes over and over again on a holiday/cruise is not what we do. Our group did comment on how we felt that women had made less of an effort on the last crossing in dressing up in their finery and jewels.

Perhaps if you were to direct your question to a man, you might get a different answer. We (men) don't just wear a tux or suit again and again........speaking for my partner and I we took 2 tux's each and couple of suits each and 3 or 4 blazers/jackets. In fact for our party we had in our PH we requested that men wore a jacket and tie. I guess it just all comes down to what you are used to doing and packing light and wearing the same clothes over and over again on a holiday/cruise is not what we do. Our group did comment on how we felt that women had made less of an effort on the last crossing in dressing up in their finery and jewels.

What airline do you fly and what is the luggage allowance? :eek:

Which crossing were you on?

What airline do you fly and what is the luggage allowance? :eek:

BA First Class. So the luggage allowance is not an issue, but if it was for the sake of a few pounds or dollars for the extra luggage compared to the cost of the cruise, why bother limiting yourself.

It depends not on what airline you fly but on what class. Business and First allow 70 pounds. Or you can ship if you are taking that much luggage.

We did not ship any luggage this time, but would use this service again at a drop of a hat. We used it for the Quest maiden voyage and it was very convenient and reasonably priced.

Quest

We were on that crossing and I thought I would just check before I gave you my thoughts. Yes, I agree some of the girls (and boys!) were not as dressed up as I had imagined they would have been - in fact some were quite casual in their attire, even on the formal (optional - I type this in for wripro!;):)) nights! That was truly surprising as I had imagined SB would be quite formal in its formality!

The DH took both his black tie and his trews (tartan trousers) - that may give you a clue as to who we are as he was the only one dressed in evening Highland dress - which he enjoys wearing very much and I enjoy seeing him in it ;):D but I do rather have to hang on to him as so do most of the other girls! LOL! And one of my favourite photos from this cruise is me with my wonderful DH in his trews standing with the handsome Captain Magnus in his dress uniform - lucky girl!

Your observations were almost correct - but there were a few of us who did dress up in our finery and "jewels"!

We also agree why limit yourself for the sake of a few pounds if you're not flying in a premium cabin. We did coming back from the US, so it wasn't an issue, but from Scotland to Malaga we had to pay excess baggage but it was never a deal breaker for me (just didn't tell the DH!;))

We were on the Quest also and I observed the same thing. However the whole world is becoming more casual and a "do your own thing" to a certain degree and Seabourn wants their money too, so with the bigger ships and more people, more of a variety of dress. I also brought my "finery" and jewels but to each his own on packing and what is bearable and what is not. I was merely trying to say that you could get by on the ships with a limited amount. I think I am pretty good at accessorizing and changing tops and jackets and get a lot of wear of say "black pants" and with Seabourn's excellent washing and dry-cleaning service, I feel I am clean enough for anyone. My husband had his tux, white jacket and several dinner jackets so I think he had enough variety for anyone (if they bothered to remember) and used the dry cleaning service.

And Fairbourne, you looked lovely in your finery every time I saw you with your "standout" tartan husband. Its nice to have a heritage.

We live in a "dressy" city where we are used to dressing and actually (nothing personal) we don't have to tell our "group" what to wear. They expect to wear a jacket and tie to a dinner if it is after 5. I do think it is nice that you had the penthouse. We have enjoyed going to parties there but have yet to have anyone tell us what to wear. We have been invited back so I guess we did okay.

The truth of the matter is we spend so much time worrying about what to wear and really no one even remembers most of the time (age and memory and busy lives and what's really important) perhaps?) A number of years ago I was worried about recycling some of my ball gowns for different events and I finally figured out I was the only one that remembered what I wore one two or three years ago. I certainly didn't remember what they wore! I will say anyone who was on the Quest maiden crossing will remember two married delightful gentleman. The one had outfits from all over the world he had made and I looked forward to seeing what he would wear each evening! They were beautiful.

I have to mention just coming off the Odyssey an interesting couple across the hall from us. She came with ten suitcases and had the suite changed all around to accommodate her large wardrobe. She was meticulous in organization and she had a chart on the wall with each day, temperature, port, outfit and accessories and she marked what she wore so she wouldn't wear the same thing again. Some of the organization tools she brought were amazing! She even had something built bySeabourn to go in the suite to accommodate her wardrobe, actually it was BOTH their wardrobes. She paid for this.

I think we are going to have to get used to this new way of casual/formal. I don't see full formal coming back anytime soon on any of the ships.

Anyway, each his own. We belong to casual and formal groups and enjoy them all. It really depends on what's inside!

The laundry service on SB is first class and my lovely DH always has his dinner suit dry-cleaned as soon as we board! No point in getting it done before we leave as no matter how carefully you pack it, it always needs pressing!

That's right, no-one notices or if they do, they don't care - and the DHs (plural!) would definitely not notice methinks! LOL! I have to say RHN, black evening trousers are a godsend aren't they?!

Thank you kind lady for your compliments! ;):D He's only an honarary Scot (by marriage) but his father was Irish and that was an Irish tartan he wore.

Are you referring to the gentleman who wore beautiful oriental evening jackets? I thought they were amazing and wish I'd told him! :) He was very stylish.

All finery and jewels aside, I'm with RHN in that what really matters is what's on the inside! :)

RHN - are you rested after your Odyssey adventure?

FAIRBOURNE: Are you referring to the gentleman who wore beautiful oriental evening jackets? I thought they were amazing and wish I'd told him! :) He was very stylish.

Are you rested after your Odyssey adventure?

Yes I am referring to the gentleman with the oriental outfits. We got to know them fairly well and he has had the outfits all custom made in Thailand, Hong Kong and many other places. The only one he bought off the rack was the polka dotted smoking jacket...quite a statement piece! He has the jewels and matching shoes for each outfit. They were really gorgeous. He loves finery and his partner/spouse loves buying for him.

FAIRBOURNE: I am now rested after my third day home but I have been keeping some interesting sleeping hours. Thank goodness for the computer in the middle of the night (Of course I could unpack :). Today is our wedding anniversary and everyone wants to know how we are celebrating. I keep reminding them we have been celebrating for two months on the Odyssey but we are going out for another nice dinner. (I will be formal optional dressed and my husband will be with jacket and tie....tee hee...I couldn't resist, the devil made me do it!):D

We were on the Quest also and I observed the same thing. However the whole world is becoming more casual and a "do your own thing" to a certain degree and Seabourn wants their money too, so with the bigger ships and more people, more of a variety of dress. I also brought my "finery" and jewels but to each his own on packing and what is bearable and what is not. I was merely trying to say that you could get by on the ships with a limited amount. I think I am pretty good at accessorizing and changing tops and jackets and get a lot of wear of say "black pants" and with Seabourn's excellent washing and dry-cleaning service, I feel I am clean enough for anyone. My husband had his tux, white jacket and several dinner jackets so I think he had enough variety for anyone (if they bothered to remember) and used the dry cleaning service.

And Fairbourne, you looked lovely in your finery every time I saw you with your "standout" tartan husband. Its nice to have a heritage.

We live in a "dressy" city where we are used to dressing and actually (nothing personal) we don't have to tell our "group" what to wear. They expect to wear a jacket and tie to a dinner if it is after 5. I do think it is nice that you had the penthouse. We have enjoyed going to parties there but have yet to have anyone tell us what to wear. We have been invited back so I guess we did okay.

The truth of the matter is we spend so much time worrying about what to wear and really no one even remembers most of the time (age and memory and busy lives and what's really important) perhaps?) A number of years ago I was worried about recycling some of my ball gowns for different events and I finally figured out I was the only one that remembered what I wore one two or three years ago. I certainly didn't remember what they wore! I will say anyone who was on the Quest maiden crossing will remember two married delightful gentleman. The one had outfits from all over the world he had made and I looked forward to seeing what he would wear each evening! They were beautiful.

I have to mention just coming off the Odyssey an interesting couple across the hall from us. She came with ten suitcases and had the suite changed all around to accommodate her large wardrobe. She was meticulous in organization and she had a chart on the wall with each day, temperature, port, outfit and accessories and she marked what she wore so she wouldn't wear the same thing again. Some of the organization tools she brought were amazing! She even had something built bySeabourn to go in the suite to accommodate her wardrobe, actually it was BOTH their wardrobes. She paid for this.

I think we are going to have to get used to this new way of casual/formal. I don't see full formal coming back anytime soon on any of the ships.

Anyway, each his own. We belong to casual and formal groups and enjoy them all. It really depends on what's inside!

RHN--The lady you describe with the ten suitcase and her wall charts indicating temperature, outfit(s) considered, those worn, and other minutiae is suffering from a not uncommon emotional malady. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is the kind of mandated activity that demands strict adherence to a previously determined set of behaviors.

I suppose you can travel with ten suitcases and not be guilty of anything other than bad packing. But wall charts? The imposition of such routines seems to be counter to the reason many of us cruise. To relax, be soothed by the ocean--and by a glass of bubbly and some caviar.

Of course, if She Who Must Be Obeyed was the one with the ten suitcases I would, naturalment, consider her behavior entirely normal.

Whatever that means.

As I recall, there was a time in your life when your costume(s) could have fit in a small purse. I refer to our joint employment by the, err, National Geographic Society.

FAIRBOURNE: :). Today is our wedding anniversary and everyone wants to know how we are celebrating. I keep reminding them we have been celebrating for two months on the Odyssey but we are going out for another nice dinner. (I will be formal optional dressed and my husband will be with jacket and tie....tee hee...I couldn't resist, the devil made me do it!):D

That's too funny LOL! Happy Anniversary and have a wonderful romantic dinner with your lovely DH. :D

>"Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is the kind of mandated activity that demands strict adherence to a previously determined set of behaviors."

That's true, but it's often manifested on washing one's hands three times before picking up the phone, or things like that. I think the cruiser with the trunks and charts is just a highly organized woman who enjoys the kind of planning activities and clothing choices for her cruise. I find I enjoy planning the details for many things, but as my one long black Land'e End t-shirt dress reflects, my wardrobe is not included.

>"Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is the kind of mandated activity that demands strict adherence to a previously determined set of behaviors."

That's true, but it's often manifested on washing one's hands three times before picking up the phone, or things like that. I think the cruiser with the trunks and charts is just a highly organized woman who enjoys the kind of planning activities and clothing choices for her cruise. I find I enjoy planning the details for many things, but as my one long black Land'e End t-shirt dress reflects, my wardrobe is not included.

Jane, she is a lovely person and they are on Sydney to LA so I guess she will wear them all. She also takes good care of her husband and manages all his clothes. He enjoys dressing also but I don't know if as much as she does but he always looked good also! He had just retired.She is a kitchen/bedroom designer by trade so you can see it is her nature. It was very well done and thought out. I had to pick my chin off my chest several times!!

I thought she should give tours but she said something Seabourn didn't want to have to do it for everyone...or something like that. In other words, don't spread the word, and then here I am!:D:eek:

OK, Fairbourne, you have me using all those silly smiley faces!!!!

Did she ever find any time to enjoy herself? Sounds like those charts were a full time job.
It was like an excel spreadsheet and all she did was put checks in the proper places. And yes, she was somewhat of a party girl, out late each evening. We were on with them for the last two weeks but they were port intensive so didn't see as much of them.. They are still on. I will have to ask some of my friends still on how she is doing. She had lovely taste and some beautiful things. She also turned the cabinet above the TV into an office with all sorts of cubbies for organizing. Truly amazing. I am remembering a chain that hung down discreetly on one corner wall and all the purses were hanging there. They were hanging pretty and they were pretty so it made a nice addition to the room. Nothing took up their walking space. The tub had a rod with braces on each side and made another closet. They aren't tub people but if they were there was a way to collapse it and use the tub. I think I need her to do my house!

Archived