North Cape Adventure who's joining us

We are on this and would welcome any suggestions on excursions - which stops can we do our own or are there some unmissable trips which we should book.

Here is a link to another thread - I posted a previous review plus some extra info which I hope you will find useful.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1569510

Doing the North Cape Adventure on the Spirit on the 18th June. Know Dave and Phyllis are on this one is anyone else going.

Mary

We'll be onboard too.

Kruzseeka - thanks for the very useful info, will take a copy with me.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Mary,lucky you, we have got to wait till August,hows your Knee?

Hi Roy

Can't wait ready to go now. Lucking forward to going back on the Spirit. Thanks for asking about my knee it's not good though. I did really well for the first 3 months then I don't know what happened but I am having a lot of pain and can still not walk very far. Go back to the hosp. on the 1st May and if it's no better I will have to have another op. Not very happy.:(

Hope you and your family are well.

Mary

We'll be joining you all on this one. Really looking forward to it. It's only our second ever cruise (mind you our first one doesn't sail till April, hope I enjoy it :D )

Lucky you going in April and June:) I am sure you will enjoy it. Don't expect the Spirit to be the same class as the Oceania though (she is quite old and a little bit jaded) but as Malc says great food,entertainment and crew.

We will have to meet up on board my hubby is called Kev and he's def old and very grumpy:D Good job he's not on here:)

Mary

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya all - Don & Joan will also be joining you.

3 previous cruises with NCL, this is first with Thomson.

Still catching up with all your threads, Mary (do you still have any time left for Facebook & Twitter????

Looking forward to meeting you all. Will keep in touch.

I am still doing my research, but thought you might be interested in which other ships in ports the same days as us, & number of potential sightseers there might be.

I copied this from a spreadsheet & it should have pasted as a table making it more easily readable, but it didn't. Still I guess you Eggheads can make sense of it!

Port Ships in Port Arrival Passengers

Flåm Thomson Spirit Tendered 20.06.12 1400

Flåm Oceana 20.06.12 2272

Molde Thomson Spirit 21.06.12 1400

Åndalsnes Marco Polo 21.06.12 900

Åndalsnes Thomson Spirit 21.06.12 1400

Tromsø 23.06.12 140

Tromsø Thomson Spirit 23.06.12 1400

Tromsø Mein Schiff 1 23.06.12 2217

Tromsø Albatros 23.06.12 1000

North Cape Thomson Spirit 24.06.12 1400

North Cape Caribbean Princess 24.06.12 3599

North Cape Mein Schiff 2 24.06.12 1886

Hellesylt Thomson Spirit Tendered 27.06.12 1400

Geirangerfjord Thomson Spirit 27.06.12 1400

Ålesund Morning Ivy 28.06.12 2005

Ålesund Thomson Spirit 28.06.12 1400

Bergen MS Astor 29.06.12 700

Bergen Thomson Spirit 29.06.12 1400

Bergen Princess Danae 29.06.12 450

Doing the North Cape Adventure on the Spirit on the 18th June. Know Dave and Phyllis are on this one is anyone else going.

Mary

I am joining you with 3 girl friends......BUT we are not leaving the Tyne:(..we are doing a 3 hour taster which I believe involves a tour of the Spirit, lunch in the MDR and then a presentation to try to encourage us to take a cruise. None of us have cruised and only I have one booked (for September 2012.)

However, after doing a mock booking for this cruise, I wish we could go on it as it seems very good value for money as it has been reduced to...from £630 for 13 days (I think it was).:rolleyes:

I am joining you with 3 girl friends......BUT we are not leaving the Tyne:(..we are doing a 3 hour taster which I believe involves a tour of the Spirit, lunch in the MDR and then a presentation to try to encourage us to take a cruise. None of us have cruised and only I have one booked (for September 2012.)

However, after doing a mock booking for this cruise, I wish we could go on it as it seems very good value for money as it has been reduced to...from £630 for 13 days (I think it was).:rolleyes:

Hi

Hope you enjoy your taster but please do not expect any glitz or glam on the Spirit or loads of facilities. She is quite basic and old and a real ship:)

(not one of the sailing apartment blocks) but she is very clean and the thing about Thomson ships is the fantastic crew, the entertainment and the friendliness which you can't unfortunately experience on a taster. You will though get to experience the good food.:)

Are you sailing with Thomson on your cruise, if so I am sure you will enjoy it and if your friends decide not to book they don't know what they will be missing.:)

Hi

Hope you enjoy your taster but please do not expect any glitz or glam on the Spirit or loads of facilities. She is quite basic and old and a real ship:)

(not one of the sailing apartment blocks) but she is very clean and the thing about Thomson ships is the fantastic crew, the entertainment and the friendliness which you can't unfortunately experience on a taster. You will though get to experience the good food.:)

Are you sailing with Thomson on your cruise, if so I am sure you will enjoy it and if your friends decide not to book they don't know what they will be missing.:)

Hi Mary

Don't believe this. This is the 4th attempt to reply as my typing just keeps disappearing from the screen.:eek:

Yes, my husband and I are on the Thomson Majesty cruise leaving Corfu town on 31st August 2012. Cannot wait so this taster is just to keep me going until then. One of my friends and I are talking about doing a Caribbean cruise sometime and leaving the husbands behind:D Another friend is wanting to check out the facilities for her disabled husband and to see if a cruise would suit both of them.

I am sure that a Thomson cruise will suit us as my DH and I both like the small and friendly type hotel with good food, cleanliness and excellent friendly service. Much prefer the 'colonial' type to the minimalist, modern business type with lots of facilities that we do not use. The only thing I am worried about is spoiling things by being seasick. One thing about this taster on the Spirit.....I should not get seasick on the Tyne!

Hope you all enjoy your North Cape Adventure - there seems to be a lot from this forum travelling on it. Look out for us if you have time and say hello. It would be lovely to put a face to a name. We get on the ship at about 11.00am and leave about 1.30 to 2.00pm.

Jackie

Hi Mary

Don't believe this. This is the 4th attempt to reply as my typing just keeps disappearing from the screen.:eek:

Yes, my husband and I are on the Thomson Majesty cruise leaving Corfu town on 31st August 2012. Cannot wait so this taster is just to keep me going until then. One of my friends and I are talking about doing a Caribbean cruise sometime and leaving the husbands behind:D Another friend is wanting to check out the facilities for her disabled husband and to see if a cruise would suit both of them.

I am sure that a Thomson cruise will suit us as my DH and I both like the small and friendly type hotel with good food, cleanliness and excellent friendly service. Much prefer the 'colonial' type to the minimalist, modern business type with lots of facilities that we do not use. The only thing I am worried about is spoiling things by being seasick. One thing about this taster on the Spirit.....I should not get seasick on the Tyne!

Hope you all enjoy your North Cape Adventure - there seems to be a lot from this forum travelling on it. Look out for us if you have time and say hello. It would be lovely to put a face to a name. We get on the ship at about 11.00am and leave about 1.30 to 2.00pm.

Jackie

Hi Jackie

I'm sure you will enjoy it and if it's the Aegean you're doing it's great for a first cruise. You should have no problem with seasickness. We have done it twice now and both times the sea has been flat calm. We would have a late(very late) walk on deck, it was still very warm, calm sea and loads of stars in the sky, heaven:)

Looking forward to the North Cape I think the weather and the sea:eek: will be a bit different though.

We have seen quite a few disabled people on board and last year we met someone off here Gunners3 his wife was in a wheelchair and they have done quite a few Thomson cruises. The crew are great and are so helpful. I was on crutches on my last cruise and got thoroughly spoilt.

I don't think we will get to meet as we will not be boarding until after 1pm.

Enjooy your taster and cruise and I am sure you will get hooked like the rest of us on here.

Mary

Thanks Mary.... Aegean cruise itinerary and time of year chosen wisely then?? In June we will be the ones getting off the Spirit whilst you lucky ones are getting on. I had an uncle who every year ( more than 30 years ago) used to cruise the fiords solo and I could not understand why because I used to head south for the hot weather. I guess as we get older our priorities change because the Cape and the Baltic are now added to my Bucket List:).

Hi Roy

Can't wait ready to go now. Lucking forward to going back on the Spirit. Thanks for asking about my knee it's not good though. I did really well for the first 3 months then I don't know what happened but I am having a lot of pain and can still not walk very far. Go back to the hosp. on the 1st May and if it's no better I will have to have another op. Not very happy.:(

Hope you and your family are well.

Mary

Hi Mary,What happened with hospital appointment,hope all is well,I now have a problem with my leg,waiting for x-ray results.

Hi Mary,What happened with hospital appointment,hope all is well,I now have a problem with my leg,waiting for x-ray results.

Hi Roy

Sorry to hear about your leg hope all will be ok think we're all falling to bits:(

Thanks for asking about appointment but it has been put back a week grrrrr. I now go this Tuesday.

Have you seen the post on this thread someone wondering if cruising is suitable for disabled people hope you don't mind I mentioned that you and your wife cruise regularly.

Mary

Good luck with the X-ray

Questions

where exactly in Tromso does Spirit dock?

how far is it to the town?

is there a free shuttle

how far to the cable car

how do you get there

cost of return on the cable car

is the botanical garden worth visiting

alesund, how much for little train

where do you catch it

anything else to see

Questions

where exactly in Tromso does Spirit dock?

On the opposite side of the bridge from the town - this link shows you the botanical gardens - the berth was across the main road from there.

how far is it to the town?

About 45 minutes walk from the town

is there a free shuttle

In the literature I found from 2009 they referred to a courtesy shuttle service - and i couldn't find a charge on our account. I wouldn't walk into town personally.

how far to the cable car

From the shuttle drop off quite a walk really - over the bridge (pretty long) past the Arctic Cathedral and through a residential area - pleasant but perhpas the info I've posted below will be useful - apparently there is a local bus service from the centre altough we did walk both ways.

how do you get there

As above - but there were long queues by the time we were coming down so I'd recommend going early and heading off there first.

cost of return on the cable car

See links below - looks like approx £11 but not quite sure of how up to date that is.

is the botanical garden worth visiting

Very much so - or at least that was our opinion. Since it's free it's certainly worth checking out and it's really close to the port. We returned from the cable car trip, had lunch on board and went to the gardens in the afternoon. However, not sure of your sailing date - we were there in July and it was a riot of colour - earlier in the year it may not be so impressive(?)

alesund, how much for little train

Don't know

where do you catch it

On the dockside

anything else to see

Mainly the art noveau houses on the waterside (there's a pleasant walk along there) and a harbour area at the far end with a museum here too - at least I think that's where it was. At the base of Mt Aksla is a park area with pleasant views - this is where the steps start if you're walking up the hill.

Here is some info I picked up off the internet but haven't used the bus myself so can't comment on how convenient it is.

Bus 26 goes to the Cable Car from Peppe's Pizza near Torget (The Main Square). Ask for a "Fjellheisbillett" (Cable Car Ticket). This includes a return bus ticket and the Cable Car ride, and is cheaper than buying each ticket individually.

Fjellheisen :

the cablecar to Storsteinen

This cablecar will get you to the very best viewpoint of Tromsoe, 418 meters above sea-level and it will start just about 200 meters from the Arctic Cathedral. The cablecar runs all year long and is open daily between 10.00am and 05.00pm, always at the full and at the half hours there is a cablecar leaving,the last one at 04.30pm.

Up there is a Cafe as well, that is open every day.

99 kronen is the return-ticket

50 kronen is a singleticket down !

Archived