North Cape Adventure who's joining us

It looks as if the No 26 runs every 20 minutes and that combined ticket is useful.

there appears to be a bus 27 which runs from the university past the cruise port and near the cable car. every 30 mins

I have no idea of the fares though.

Ah! the cablecar is now 120 Kroner. how much is that?

brilliant reply as usual :D

You're welcome. :)

Forgot to include the link for the position of dock in relation to the Botanical Gardens. And if you pan out a bit you will see the bridge (labelled Bruvegen) which goes across to the cable car side of the water and it's quite a stretch from the dock.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=botanical+gardens+tromso&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=botanical+gardens&hnear=0x45c4c4526c3b71fd:0x23dca858e6ebed3,Tromso,+Norway&cid=0,0,13128552430965888853&ei=me-nT5yJLfS00QXYiOzODg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=5&ved=0CAgQ_BIwBA

Also here is a link to a programme Monte Don did called 'Around the World in 80 Gardens'. Tromso figures from about 49.30m on - you can see him in the main part of the town looking across the water. You will see the bridge on his left which goes across to the Arctic Cathedral (the triangular shaped building) and get an idea of the span - it is quite long! He goes to the Botanical Gardens and said exactly what I had thought before going that all the plants would be small rock clinging plants when in fact there were many huge flowers on stalks taller than me (not too difficult though!). There are also quite a few seats and we enjoyed sitting in the sunshine and lovely tranquil surroundings. It was 30 degrees when we were there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YG91dgOEcU&feature=related

Enjoy your trip!

P.s. Yes the bus looks a good proposition. Just looked at conversion rates 120NK is £12.79!

You're welcome. :)

Forgot to include the link for the position of dock in relation to the Botanical Gardens. And if you pan out a bit you will see the bridge (labelled Bruvegen) which goes across to the cable car side of the water and it's quite a stretch from the dock.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=botanical+gardens+tromso&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=botanical+gardens&hnear=0x45c4c4526c3b71fd:0x23dca858e6ebed3,Tromso,+Norway&cid=0,0,13128552430965888853&ei=me-nT5yJLfS00QXYiOzODg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=5&ved=0CAgQ_BIwBA

Also here is a link to a programme Monte Don did called 'Around the World in 80 Gardens'. Tromso figures from about 49.30m on - you can see him in the main part of the town looking across the water. You will see the bridge on his left which goes across to the Arctic Cathedral (the triangular shaped building) and get an idea of the span - it is quite long! He goes to the Botanical Gardens and said exactly what I had thought before going that all the plants would be small rock clinging plants when in fact there were many huge flowers on stalks taller than me (not too difficult though!). There are also quite a few seats and we enjoyed sitting in the sunshine and lovely tranquil surroundings. It was 30 degrees when we were there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YG91dgOEcU&feature=related

Enjoy your trip!

P.s. Yes the bus looks a good proposition. Just looked at conversion rates 120NK is £12.79!

Kruzseeker you're a marvel. We watched these programmes so I've made a note of your recommendations for when we do this cruise (I definitely will one day!!),

Last year in Cuba we passed the allotments which were on this programme. We got off the bus and went back to have a look but the gate was locked

and there was no one there. I wasn't too bothered but OH said he would have liked to look around.

Hi Folks,

We completed our very first cruise a couple of weeks ago and we are now really looking forward to this one - can't wait.

One of the things we enjoyed on the previous cruise was using the Ho-Ho buses, does anyone know if any are available in Tromso?

I've done a quick scan on the internet and can't find any mention of them and the thread above doesn't mention them so I'm guessing maybe not.

Hi Roy

Sorry to hear about your leg hope all will be ok think we're all falling to bits:(

Thanks for asking about appointment but it has been put back a week grrrrr. I now go this Tuesday.

Have you seen the post on this thread someone wondering if cruising is suitable for disabled people hope you don't mind I mentioned that you and your wife cruise regularly.

Mary

Good luck with the X-ray

Hi, Mary,Good news I hope from the hospital?

Hi folks, E-Tickets for this cruise arrived this evening. Never been with Thomson before so can anyone answer the following questions for me please?

1) It says baggage allowance = 20KG per passenger. Is this right, we were told unlimited (within common sense boundaries)?

2) Do we also get luggage labels (so far no mention on the ticket of actual cabin allocated).

3) I've booked parking at Newcastle as part of the deal - is this a separate ticket?

Sorry to be a pain, but strikes me they have only sent me part of the deal so far :confused:

Hi folks, E-Tickets for this cruise arrived this evening. Never been with Thomson before so can anyone answer the following questions for me please?

1) It says baggage allowance = 20KG per passenger. Is this right, we were told unlimited (within common sense boundaries)?

They might mean 20KG per case, we don't want the baggage handlers to strain their backs :rolleyes:

2) Do we also get luggage labels (so far no mention on the ticket of actual cabin allocated).

Luggage labels are issued when you get to the terminal, attach them to your cases and leave in the drop off area

3) I've booked parking at Newcastle as part of the deal - is this a separate ticket?

can't help here

Sorry to be a pain, but strikes me they have only sent me part of the deal so far :confused:

You have the whole deal. When you get to the terminal there will be a tent (there was last time) where you get a envelope with your labels, cruise card and health declaration. Check-in comes later where they swipe your credit card and take your security photo. Then it is through security and a medium walk to the ship. IIRC there is a shuttle bus as well.

1) It says baggage allowance = 20KG per passenger. Is this right, we were told unlimited (within common sense boundaries)? We've generally taken two largish cases and a smaller one - never been an issue.

1) If you are sailing out of the UK there is no luggage limit except that each case should not exceed 23Kg (for baggage handlers).

2) When you arrive at the port you drive up to one of the port personnel and presumably present your E-ticket (it was the old booklet when we last sailed from the UK) and they will give you instructions. At some point you will be given an envelope which will contain some sticky labels with your cabin number on them - they will be allocated if you didn't book a specific cabin. You stick the labels onto your cases and baggage handlers will take the cases from you (straight out of your boot) and these will be taken on board and placed outside your cabin door.

Be sure to keep your hand luggage with you (good idea to have money, jewellery, cameras and other valuables in your hand baggage plus anything you may need access to before your luggage arrives - of course you will need your passport too).

You will then be shown where to go to park in the allocated secure parking area for your cruise - all the passengers on one cruise use the same car park. Once you have parked up there will be a shuttle bus to take you from the car park to the dockside.

Here you will register. For this you need your passport, credit/debit card/ £200 cash (however you intend to pay for your onboard account) and the blue ship's card which will have been in the envelope I mentioned earlier.

3) Sorry no idea how they arrange the port parking ticket. Is there anything on the E-ticket (as a booked extra?) which shows you have the parking or alternatively have you got an email confirmation of the car park booking? If so take that with you and it should suffice. We once didn't get our a 'parking ticket' (in the old days before E-tickets so could be quite different now) and I contacted the agent we booked with and she emailed me a written confirmation from her that we'd paid for parking. I just showed it at the port - no probs. We were given a label to attach to the steering wheel to show we were bona fide Thomson customers and therefore able to use the car park.

Hope that helps - and if I've been telling you things you already know - apologies! :)

Thanks for the answers above everyone. starting to make some sense of it all now.

Have found the parking pass as well, hidden below the Athens Convention sections. I'd stopped looking one I hit the T&Cs bit as I assumed it was the end of the document - that'll teach me :-)

Have been following this thread with interest. Anybody know earliest time we can board the ship? Thomson say "If*you’re*paying*(onboard account) with*a*credit*card,*a*surcharge*will*be*added*to*your*account." - but they seem a little coy about what this surcharge will be. I guess 2% or 2.5%, but I will find out. Think I will use debit card instead. Thanks for all useful tips from other contributors.

Have been following this thread with interest. Anybody know earliest time we can board the ship? Thomson say "If*you’re*paying*(onboard account) with*a*credit*card,*a*surcharge*will*be*added*to*your*account." - but they seem a little coy about what this surcharge will be. I guess 2% or 2.5%, but I will find out. Think I will use debit card instead. Thanks for all useful tips from other contributors.

My booking information says "boarding 13:00 - 15:00. Departure 16:00".

Not received tickets yet but booked through Thomson offline so expecting them through the post.

• 3 weeks later...

Only TWO WEEKS to go now and thank goodness the strike is over. Just looked back on this thread and there are quite a few of us going :

Dave

Phyliss

GinoG

Mrs Max

Grumpy Old Kev x 2:)

Malc

Life is for Living

Sailingscots

Don

Anyone else joining us?

Mary

Mary

Only TWO WEEKS to go now and thank goodness the strike is over. Just looked back on this thread and there are quite a few of us going :

Dave

Phyliss

GinoG

Mrs Max

Grumpy Old Kev x 2:)

Malc

Life is for Living

Sailingscots

Don

Anyone else joining us?

Mary Mary

Maybe we should have some sort of get together so we recognise each other.

If we do it will be easier to avoid each other for the rest of the cruise :D:D:D

ps - I am the short fat bald hairy one with glasses :eek:

Maybe we should have some sort of get together so we recognise each other.

If we do it will be easier to avoid each other for the rest of the cruise :D:D:D

ps - I am the short fat bald hairy one with glasses :eek:

Cheek:p

Do you think we will have two Captains nights on this or just the one??

Cheek:p

Do you think we will have two Captains nights on this or just the one??

I was on a 13 nighter a couple of years ago and we had two captains do's. First sea day as normal i suppose plus one in the middle.

After 4 cruises in a row attending formal nights in my DJ I have decided to give this one a miss.

Are Tuxedos common attire for the Captain's cocktail party?

I quite fancy wearing mine again, but don't want to be the only one :-)

Mr Max and the friend we're going with will be wearing theirs.

Yes they are. There is usually loads wearing them.

Mr Max and the friend we're going with will be wearing theirs.

Thanks folks, so that's Tux, dress shirts and bow ties and shoes to add to the seemingly endless list of stuff I have to pack :)

Be glad to get back and have a rest :rolleyes:

hello everyone

I will be on this cruise with my partner Ces. This is our first cruise (apart from mini cruises to Amsterdam, Bergan and Rotterdam). Really looking forward to it and would appreciate any tips and opportunity to meet new people.

hello everyone

I will be on this cruise with my partner Ces. This is our first cruise (apart from mini cruises to Amsterdam, Bergan and Rotterdam). Really looking forward to it and would appreciate any tips and opportunity to meet new people.

Hi and welcome. Any questions you have please ask there are plenty of people on here who will help you.

Not long to go now:D:D

Mary

Hi and welcome. Any questions you have please ask there are plenty of people on here who will help you.

Not long to go now:D:D

Mary

Hi Mary,hows your knee doing? will look forward to your review when you get back,especially regards what happens at Harwich terminal,re booking in,time of boarding and access to the ship,have a nice one,Roy.

Hi Mary,hows your knee doing? will look forward to your review when you get back,especially regards what happens at Harwich terminal,re booking in,time of boarding and access to the ship,have a nice one,Roy.

Hi Roy

Thanks for asking but knee still rubbish my GP agrees 6 months is too long to wait to go back to hosp so if no better in 3 months he will write to consultant.

Will be taking crutch to hobble with again for walking any distance.:(

Will enjoy cruise though anyway.

We are not going from Harwich it's Newcastle for us. Suppose it will all be same boarding procedure though.

Not long now.

Mary

Archived